BMW S1000RR Forum banner

221 - 240 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is this on a new XR or the recall performed on a customer XR? Looks like the M4.32 they used on the K49 XR and earlier water cooled boxers. Its a monoblock caliper so should be lighter then the Hayes X32. Would be nice if this is true.
This new XR owner says that his bike was stuck in the dealer for the stop-sale until the calipers were replaced with the Brembos and then released.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This new XR owner says that his bike was stuck in the dealer for the stop-sale until the calipers were replaced with the Brembos and then released.
View attachment 215119
Thanks. I'm surprised BMW is switching to a different supplier for the recall parts. Usually (from what I've seen on the cars) they make the supplier fix the problem even if it takes multiple recalls. I have no complaints of the Hayes calipers performance but mine do leak and its disappointing to constantly clean them so they don't drip onto the CF wheels.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks. I'm surprised BMW is switching to a different supplier for the recall parts. Usually (from what I've seen on the cars) they make the supplier fix the problem even if it takes multiple recalls. I have no complaints of the Hayes calipers performance but mine do leak and its disappointing to constantly clean them so they don't drip onto the CF wheels.
This has been going on for a very long time. It seems that BMW gave Hayes several attempts to get it right, but the problems continued and they even replaced calipers with others that would also fail. After all this time, the only way BMW could save face would be to conspicuously change brands.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The calipers on the new 2021 GSA and 2021 XR are the brembo units they had years ago. Same as on the F900 in that pic. I suspect the RR is waiting for something better and they don't want to use them.
I've liked the K67 brakes over the K46. How much of their more progressive feel, but still great ultimate bite, is due to the Hayes calipers vs. pads, etc? My understanding is they share the same Nissin master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Brake feel is controlled by the master cylinder and the pad choice not the calipers. You really not going to notice a caliper change. Having leaky calipers calipers is an entirely different problem to brake feel.. I put EBC dual sintered pads in my K46 brakes and the overly strong initial bite went away. It was awesome. My K67 just started like that. I would advise you to take some time to look at the friction charts on every brake pad manufacture's site and get what you like. I really like linear brake pads.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The calipers on the new 2021 GSA and 2021 XR are the brembo units they had years ago. Same as on the F900 in that pic. I suspect the RR is waiting for something better and they don't want to use them.
I hope they get it figured out. Not like it matters to me with my '15, I just hate to see such a great bike saddled with [email protected] calipers and the black eye it's given BMW, plus the hassle to all y'all who have had problems with this gen.

·
Administrator
7,586 Posts
My first 2020 RR had leaking hayes. My 2021 has the same hayes but they don't leak lol. Diff calipers with different pads is going to play havoc with the BMW parts info lol. Same year model diff calipers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone have an update on this? Anyone got their calipers replaced? If so what did they replace it with? Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think we have 3 caliper threads going now. No decision until March (at earliest)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wanted to leave this here as I've been following this thread closely too as my '20 s1rr is weeping a little bit after sitting over the winter. I've also gotten the recall letter from BMW as others in this thread have. Not sure how more informed the person in this video is, but he does claim Nissin calipers for the s1rr.

·
Administrator
7,586 Posts
Wanted to leave this here as I've been following this thread closely too as my '20 s1rr is weeping a little bit after sitting over the winter. I've also gotten the recall letter from BMW as others in this thread have. Not sure how more informed the person in this video is, but he does claim Nissin calipers for the s1rr.

Makes sense. If the RR was getting the brembo's then they would have been fitting them already. They won't be the blue ones. Just black.

221 - 240 of 272 Posts