BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Vendor
3,476 Posts
Well, that had to happen some day, and it is now that day.

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Well, that had to happen some day, and it is now that day.
Better this day than a day down the road when someone has an accident from it or the leaking brake fluid eats someone's paint and/or ABS fairings!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I heard that last week. The question is, will they replace them all, or open, inspect, and if no leak leave the old one on.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
They gave me new calipers when I did this months ago. They are the same units are the 1250GS so they should have them. Haven't had a problem since

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yet another stop sale.

i’m sure my dealer knows nothing about this and wont get this information until maybe next year. They seem to think it has only happened to one bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was at my BMW dealership last weekend for my first service and they told me my bike had a brake caliper recall but at that point they had no instructions of what to actually do for the recall. So far I have no leaks at my calipers.

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but where is the leak? I thought it was in the bleeder threads, or maybe I'm wrong. HOPEFULLY it isn't in the seals for the pistons!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but where is the leak? I thought it was in the bleeder threads, or maybe I'm wrong. HOPEFULLY it isn't in the seals for the pistons!
The pictures I have seen of the leaks looks like the seal between the two bolted together halves. Either bad seal material, not enough clamping force, or improper machining surfaces. Just my humble opinion.

·
Administrator
7,583 Posts
They leak between the 2 halves or from the piston seals. Originally they said that if it leaks between the halves then replace the caliper. If it's piston seals then replace the seals as a kit. But you would just replace them with the same part and it would happen again. Pretty much every new bike that rocked up in the crate had leaking calipers. Brake fluid on the crate and on the wheels. My new M sport had brake fluid stains on the wheels. Was going to get it replaced. Didn't matter in the end lol. Some people have retained the calipers and bought a set of alpha pistons I think they are.

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Man, that sucks! It's not that hard to machine a flat surface to seal an o-ring to. I wonder how brake fluid affects carbon fiber??? It could EASILY be something that cause the resin to fail, and the wheels to start delaminating in that spot....not good. Wow, looks like BMW totally fornicated the canine on this version... And I was even toying with the idea of selling my '15 for a new one...

Reactions: bennymx

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Was going to get it replaced. Didn't matter in the end lol. Some people have retained the calipers and bought a set of alpha pistons I think they are.
Well, I don't recommend plowing a perfectly good bike into the side of a cow at high speed just to get a new set of brake calipers, but I guess it IS an option!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: bennymx

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
BMW Motorrad is announcing a recall and stop sale for the K50, K51, K52, K67 and K69. The recall is related to a potential leak of the front brake calipers in vehicles produced from 8/27/2018 up to 2/28/2020. A process is currently being developed to inspect the affected vehicles and repair if necessary.

This is a low-pressure condition that does not occur with brake actuation because the fluid loss (leak) path is closed. This effect will not cause a spontaneous and unexpected loss of brake pressure while riding or when the front brakes are actuated. BMW did not see any immediate safety risk.

Note: Out of the 9,392 bikes concerned, this affect approx 297 US S1000XR models manufactured from 02/03/2020 through 03/13/2020.

Info:

Overtime, a leaking front brake caliper can reduce the amount of brake fluid in the reservoir. Low volume could affect brake performance, increasing the risk of crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V476000

Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC, SERVICE BRAKES

Potential Number of Units Affected 9,392

Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2019-2020 R 1250 GS, GS Adventure and R 1250 RT, 2020 S 1000 RR and S 1000 XR motorcycles. The front brake calipers may leak brake fluid when parked. As such, these motorcycles fail to comply with the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 122, "Motorcycle Brake Systems."

Remedy

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and if necessary, replace the front brake calipers with an improved version, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 6, 2020. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
When is the mid-cycle refresh model coming - hopefully late next year for 2022? They might as well accelerate and use it as a pretense to fix some of these mistakes. So many safety issues and recalls is an expensive lawsuit waiting to happen plus permanently damaging the quality reputation of s1000.

1 - 20 of 264 Posts