BMW S1000RR Forum banner
161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
man, this is the first I am hearing of this, I have not noticed anything on my 2022 euro spec bike. Perhaps I have just not noticed it, how prominent is it?

I’d have to go out-for a ride and look for it, but right now snow in the forecast. Arggg!
It’s simple to tell.
2nd or 3rd gear, start at around 3000rpm and progressively roll it up past 6000rpm, you should feel a slight dip in power, past that it comes good again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very prominent. Like you’re holding throttle wide open and the power dips after 5-6k up until about 9+K. You would know.
That sounds really bad, I wouldn’t say it’s that bad on my 2022 euro spec, but no doubt it’s a dip in power just past 6000rpm, maybe they didn’t go “all the way” like they did with the US bikes

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
148 Posts
It’s simple to tell.
2nd or 3rd gear, start at around 3000rpm and progressively roll it up past 6000rpm, you should feel a slight dip in power, past that it comes good again.
Which mode were you in? Does the “roll on” rate matter (i.e. you feel it only in a slow, progressive roll on, and not in a fast “to the stops” roll on?).

I’ve done well over 2000 kms and plenty of pulls from in 2nd and 3rd gears from low RPMs to Redline, and have never felt the bike hesitate in acceleration. This bike felt exactly like the 21 model I test rode.

But… I have generally been in road mode, both the test ride and now on my 22’.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Which mode were you in? Does the “roll on” rate matter (i.e. you feel it only in a slow, progressive roll on, and not in a fast “to the stops” roll on?).

I’ve done well over 2000 kms and plenty of pulls from in 2nd and 3rd gears from low RPMs to Redline, and have never felt the bike hesitate in acceleration. This bike felt exactly like the 21 model I test rode.

But… I have generally been in road mode, both the test ride and now on my 22’.
I've only ridden in Dynamic mode so try it in that. Let us know how it goes..

·
Vendor
4,006 Posts
I got a help support response back from DimSport. They confirm that the new released 2022 with at least a build date of after July sometime the ECU is firmware locked. No access at this time until further testing and development.

I got a response back from Woolich and all they think is I dont have the power plugged into the ECU trying to access it. So my point on that response is they have no clue.

Still awaiting response from AlienTech.

If you had plans on getting your nice new 2022 you better check the manufacture date on the VIN sticker and if it is July or after, you might want to seek a different bike if you had plans to race it.

However, I do have a hardware replacement solution for this issue. It is what I am now implementing to the current 2022 projects I am working.

• Sad
Reactions: Capercat

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a help support response back from DimSport. They confirm that the new released 2022 with at least a build date of after July sometime the ECU is firmware locked. No access at this time until further testing and development.

I got a response back from Woolich and all they think is I dont have the power plugged into the ECU trying to access it. So my point on that response is they have no clue.

Still awaiting response from AlienTech.

If you had plans on getting your nice new 2022 you better check the manufacture date on the VIN sticker and if it is July or after, you might want to seek a different bike if you had plans to race it.

However, I do have a hardware replacement solution for this issue. It is what I am now implementing to the current 2022 projects I am working.
It’s so frustrating why BMW do this.

I can understand why they would want to lock away things like radar detection on cars and other safety systems but to lock the entire thing is silly. Warranty is lost when you flash so I can’t even see that as the reasoning.

I had plans with mine for some track work and other events where I was looking to flash tune with a full system and remove the speed limiter, now I’m questioning why bother with BMW. Surely they know the knock on effect it will have on aftermarket products?

This exact scenario happened with my M2 Competition and still now over a year later the ECU has not been cracked.

·
Vendor
4,006 Posts
It’s so frustrating why BMW do this.

I can understand why they would want to lock away things like radar detection on cars and other safety systems but to lock the entire thing is silly. Warranty is lost when you flash so I can’t even see that as the reasoning.

I had plans with mine for some track work and other events where I was looking to flash tune with a full system and remove the speed limiter, now I’m questioning why bother with BMW. Surely they know the knock on effect it will have on aftermarket products?

This exact scenario happened with my M2 Competition and still now over a year later the ECU has not been cracked.
The answer to 'why' is long and many.

The main one in my opinion is EPA and Euro Commission most likely. Look at California soon to be looking at ECU programming in cars. It does not matter you tuned your car/truck to get 50 MPG, it is tuned in the EPA commission checking process and they dont want it. I been dealing with the association of the EPA to performance since 2003 when HPTuners came about and was one of the first software packages to be able to turn off O2 sensors. The EPA hates it ...

Then there is money on Motorrad side. Locking the ECU in the K67 and K66 will force people to get the WSBK FIM package. That is a $10000 USD cost and since it does not support fan control and DDC, there is a huge expense in shock and forks too. The fan of course you can put in with a flip switch on the cheap side of operation to get around that.

Then there is the blown engines in the last 8 months of this year. I have read and heard from dealers it is over 15 engines I am aware of just this year. ( BTW > Zero with my ECU coding ) .. So you think BMWAG is not looking at that issue no matter we blame it on ECU coding or just plain mechanical failure. WHAT>? mechanical failure on BMWAG Motorrad part? Well, there you go, it makes them look bad on the forums. The Suzuki guy like @z00 just loves to brag about how he passed on BMW out of all the blown engine issues. Really just using Z00 as a example of a " OTHER " brand person on here and can look from the outside in on the issue.

Its a huge expense on BMWAG part to jump in mid stream of a product cycle and change something like the ECU access to the MPU. All that dealer software ( ISTA and ESYS ) had to be updated to deal with the change.

Like I said about the 2017 BMSMP. It was released and it was 15 months before the new algor was cracked. We shall see how long on this new BMSO now.

·
Vendor
4,006 Posts
Just got a message from another tuner apparently reading on here that the XR1000 is locked also with a July build date and on.

• Sad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got a message from another tuner apparently reading on here that the XR1000 is locked also with a July build date and on.
Clearly you have some very in depth knowledge!

In your opinion will there be enough demand to justify research/cost on cracking this new locked ECU? Are you confident it will eventually be cracked?

The cost for a race ECU and wiring would just have me look at other manufactures instead.

Something that I find even more frustrating - they lock the ECU for emission laws, okay. Now who in their right mind signed off on the stock tune being so bad. If they were locking the ECU you’d think they would ensure the stock tune is spot on!

161 - 171 of 171 Posts