BMW S1000RR Forum banner
141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
You ain't going to want to ride it in its stock form with this 6000rpm nonsense, unless you bought the bike as a show pony or . Anyway my dealer is tune/mod friendly haha
After the test ride of the 21 model I was sold. Loved the mid range. Not looking forward to the disappointment of the 2022 being more restricted. Might have to see if my dealer is also tune/mod friendly. I don't have a big enough social circle to worry about show pony status, only getting the Black Storm Metallic with Dynamic Package.

·
Registered
90 Posts
After the test ride of the 21 model I was sold. Loved the mid range. Not looking forward to the disappointment of the 2022 being more restricted. Might have to see if my dealer is also tune/mod friendly. I don't have a big enough social circle to worry about show pony status, only getting the Black Storm Metallic with Dynamic Package.
Its not unridable, however in the back of your mind you'll be thinking it can be even better after a tune.
In 2nd, 3rd gear @6000rpm, or slightly above I can feel it, I think most people would.
TBH the most disappointing thing for me is the low speed manoeuvring, I've been spoiled with a 17 Fireblade SP that has sublime handling, however the BMW has superior brakes, suspension, electronics & power...

·
Registered
103 Posts
You ain't going to want to ride it in its stock form with this 6000rpm nonsense, unless you bought the bike as a show pony or . Anyway my dealer is tune/mod friendly haha
This. It’s definitely neutered if the US restrictions are on there. Since it’s a few years old now, they should’ve hopefully fixed most of the recurring issues.

Like some others have proven in previous blown engine threads, as long as you’re not overreving the thing to death, a tune should not matter for warranty.

·
Vendor
4,006 Posts
Another issue of the 2022 Model Year.

As of July 2021 build of the 2022 BMW S1000RR VIN Sequence
WB10E2303N6FXXXXX

The ECU and EWS modules are firmware locked.

I have 4 2022 ECU's in for ExWERKS V2 upgrades and both the ECU and the EWS are locked in that no access with DimSport, AlienTech, Woolich devices can remove and replace the MAP structure binary files.

The ECU is 0 261 S10 52W BMS-O .. 1 696 358 - 01 .. load software base 170295191

As some can remember this was an issue with the 2017 BMSMP ECU as well. There are 2 modes of entry into the ECU coding. (Bench) / direct probe MPU and (Service) / OBDII port access. The BMSMP was not hacked until April of 2018. EVC was the first to get the access to the ECU and then Alientech and DimSport were very shortly there after. During the time of 2017 I was one of the only people that could provide a complete hardware solution in making the 2017 have the ability to be used as race bike at least with RCK3 equipped ECU. It is no different in this 2022 model in that I have a complete hardware/software solution wither you want STOCK, or my BMWHP V1 or V2 coding, or use Woolich / Other tuner access to the ECU.

However this might be just a small setback in gaining access. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
90 Posts
^^ I appreciate your knowledge on these ECU's, however are you saying the 2022 ECU are locked out and thus can't be tuned remotely? if so I'm very :(

·
Vendor
4,006 Posts
^^ I appreciate your knowledge on these ECU's, however are you saying the 2022 ECU are locked out and thus can't be tuned remotely? if so I'm very :(
2022 at this time with the ECU / DME is LOCKED. Cannot use a Handheld device, cannot send to me and I get into it with a BDM. Its a great paper weight if you want to professionally race. Because what BMW Motorrad wants you to do is buy the Motorrad FIM WSBK approved ECU and wiring package.. BMW Motorrad does not like people inside the stock ECU because the EPA and Euro5 commission complain about it.

$10,000 USD there about for the Motorrad ECU package and it does not support DDC so now you need another $4000-$5000 in rear shock and front forks.

• Wow
Reactions: A B

·
8,699 Posts
@BMW_388 but like other ECUs, 2022 ecu will be unlocked with time right? Or does it have a whole different encryption scheme that is not hackable?

·
Vendor
4,006 Posts
@BMW_388 but like other ECUs, 2022 ecu will be unlocked with time right? Or does it have a whole different encryption scheme that is not hackable?
The basis of 'hacked' is not even close when it comes to the access of the MPU today.

The basic idea is that the ECU provides a seed -- a short string of byte values -- and the tool is required to transform that seed into a key using a secret algorithm. The ECU applies the same algorithm internally, and compares the key value given by the tool to its own value. If the two agree, the tool is assumed to "know" the secret algorithm, and access is authorized.

You have to sniff the data stream attempts with some very expensive equipment. Then even after you have the data stream breaking it down to the seed and key challenge is difficult in itself. We tried at this for months back in 2002 with the development of www.HPTUNERS.com becoming the result of success... So what finally broke the code or who? Leaks. That is first and fastest way to the answer. Hope that someone inside of a company is pissed off enough that they are willing to provide you even a little snippet of info to crack the algorithm. In the case of the PCM 411 series which ran the LS1/6 engines a nice engineer was paid $50,000 for the one and only algorithm to that PCM. Once you have one, you can build from there. Turned out GM already had 256 Seed and Key algorithm made up and appeared to be something set in stone to take GM to 2025. Now all this was going on in 2002 into 2003.

There was rumors that server point to device point would have data stream protection some day in the future. That day could be here now. I dont really see why BMW took an existing MPU structure and changed the seed and key algorithm mid cycle life. That had to be very expensive for them to do that, or, I need to open up one of these 2022 ECU's and see what MPU is in there. It might not be the TC1793. Again, I dont see that happening based on life cycle of the existing model year only change is exterior that we can see, but, I will ask the client if I can open the ECU. Not my ECU to just open and poke around in just yet.

·
8,699 Posts
The basis of 'hacked' is not even close when it comes to the access of the MPU today.
Makes sense, it took over 2 years to crack 2020 Yamaha R1 ECU.
BMW's is prob harder to crack if it was updated recently.

Don't you think BMW updated ECU for new features or improvements? I don't see why they care much to lock down existing ECU. Owners flash their ECUs knowing they are voiding warranty and violating EPA per their local state laws. So BMW does not care about that.

Or maybe BMW is getting ready for a 2023 model refresh looks like?

·
Registered
103 Posts
2022 at this time with the ECU / DME is LOCKED. Cannot use a Handheld device, cannot send to me and I get into it with a BDM. Its a great paper weight if you want to professionally race. Because what BMW Motorrad wants you to do is buy the Motorrad FIM WSBK approved ECU and wiring package.. BMW Motorrad does not like people inside the stock ECU because the EPA and Euro5 commission complain about it.

$10,000 USD there about for the Motorrad ECU package and it does not support DDC so now you need another $4000-$5000 in rear shock and front forks.
That’s interesting because I may or may not know of someone who has flashed their 22 m package without any issues. What models were you working on?

·
Vendor
4,006 Posts
That’s interesting because I may or may not know of someone who has flashed their 22 m package without any issues. What models were you working on?
I already posted the ECU information. All you have to do is remove the ECU you think you flashed as a 2022 and not a 2021 as they do not have any issues and see if the numbers match. Look at the tag sticker on the ECU.

The ECU is 0 261 S10 52W BMS-O .. 1 696 358 - 01 .. load software base 170295191

The manufacture date it appears to be July 2021 and delivery to dealer was November 1 2021. VIN sequence of a 2022 is posted also but again > WB10E2303N6FXXXXX

Reactions: Garagemoto7

·
Registered
90 Posts
I emailed BT Moto with the simple question can their handheld tune flash my 2022 euro spec S1K ECU, I quoted my VIN No..... WB10E2106N6EXXXXX for good measure.

Their response "Yes sir it should be good to go from what I can tell!"

I don't want to open a can of worms, but I'm now very confused :unsure:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I emailed BT Moto with the simple question can their handheld tune flash my 2022 euro spec S1K ECU, I quoted my VIN No..... WB10E2106N6EXXXXX for good measure.

Their response "Yes sir it should be good to go from what I can tell!"

I don't want to open a can of worms, but I'm now very confused :unsure:
Same here my 2022 VIN starts with WB10E2106N6EXXXXX (CA USA) and Brentune response was (sic)
"We've done a few 2022s already. Should be good to go. They change the encryption a little bit every year."

So looks like no problem. Note BT have a sale on at the moment so inc S/H $826.68 (use a coupon) + state taxes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, we have one forum vendor saying its impossible ATM to flash a 2022 ECU

We have another forum vendor saying, yeah it's all good no problem.....

🤥😶:poop:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok, we have one forum vendor saying its impossible ATM to flash a 2022 ECU

We have another forum vendor saying, yeah it's all good no problem.....

🤥😶:poop:
The ecus is in question depends on the ecu construct date. We’ll see if it’s different, but who knows. The issues he’s seeing is ecu’s built July 21 or later.

I will say, a guy I know well, has a 22 m package and the BT stage 2 worked perfectly so far, but the ecu has a build date of June 21.

·
Vendor
4,006 Posts
Time goes on.. we shall see. The ones I have are dealer delivered Nov 1.. ECU's are July 2021. If I didnt have 4 of them I would not have said any thing.

Reactions: Capercat

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
148 Posts
I think the US spec flat spot @6000rpm has now migrated to the 2022 euro spec bikes! 2022 euro spec is euro5.
man, this is the first I am hearing of this, I have not noticed anything on my 2022 euro spec bike. Perhaps I have just not noticed it, how prominent is it?

I’d have to go out-for a ride and look for it, but right now snow in the forecast. Arggg!

·
Registered
4 Posts
man, this is the first I am hearing of this, I have not noticed anything on my 2022 euro spec bike. Perhaps I have just not noticed it, how prominent is it?

I’d have to go out-for a ride and look for it, but right now snow in the forecast. Arggg!
I have a bike on order in the UK, if this is true I’ll be asking for my deposit back and they can keep the bike.

I signed up to buy a bike that behaves like the one I test rode, not a heavily restricted version.

I hope this is not the case.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Very prominent. Like you’re holding throttle wide open and the power dips after 5-6k up until about 9+K. You would know.

141 - 160 of 171 Posts