BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
9,245 Posts
BMW would make better progress if they hire lighter riders lol.
Let's hope their carbon fiber forks fair better than their carbon wheels.

Reactions: Roehr1250sc

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
As confirmed when you read it, the weight is a side benefit. The main one is, as we know from MotoGP (Ohlins), the ability to control side flex and the tyre at lean. Because the carbon weave will have different elastic properties depending on how it's laid etc.
This takes a while to get use to the feel and development. If MotoGP Ohlins engineers are working with the WSBK side of development, then it might go faster. Remember there was several stories on the MotoGP side that riders could not get a handle on the feel and what was expected in a race so development was strictly in Free Practice sessions for a long time. Ducati of course was one of the first get its riders adjusted to the carbon feel and what it can do for the bike in handling.

I had read somewhere that the flex is very limited on time of use for the consistent feel of the same every time over time. If a set of tubes only last 50 laps, that is really going to eat into the cost side of WSBK.

·
9,245 Posts
I think the carbon forks are only for endurance racing, not WSBK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm interested in how they're making carbon-metal stanchions with a surface finish good enough to hold a seal while riding inside bushings. Carbon is abrasive as ****, we had a control cable rubbing on a fuselage panel, and the carbon panel ate through the stainless cable. They said carbon-metal hybrid, but still curious how they get that level of surface finish, and what the longevity is like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts