BMW S1000RR Forum banner

161 - 180 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm not. I bought a new Gixxer 1k-R instead.
BMW is not getting my money until I can get a black bike with a proper tune, from BMW, even if it's a BMW "off road" tune installed by their dealer, free of charge, that retains the factory warranty.
Still waiting with cash in hand.....
All bikes these days need an ECU tune, its just the way it is. If the Gixxer offered everything the BWW does I would buy one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Suzuki is the cheapest 1000 CC bike here in Mexico, is cheaper than the R6 and almost same as the Ninja Zx636, I would buy it, but looks cheap (not that the BMW looks expensive, like a Ducati, mind you). For the money I think the non M package is the best bike (hence I bought it), too bad about reliability. Here in Mexico the Kawis and Yamahas are crazy expensive, even the old Fireblade SP is more expensive than my Sport package S1000RR. Ducati and Aprilia are on a different league altogether in prices. V2 is more expensive than the barebones S1000RR, crazy, I know. If I live in the States I would have get the 19 or 20 R1 (the previous one) or the RSV4, I think the 1100 is priced close to the M package.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How much was your S1000RR in Mexico?

Don't like the aesthetics of the R1 much, either. The new S1000RR looks good in black. My favorite bike in the looks department is still the 1299 Panigale but that bike has reliability issues and is like riding on an oven. Still on the fence about the V4 Panigale

...and yes, all these bikes benefit from a flash now, it's typically 10-15+ hp

·
4,890 Posts
I'm not. I bought a new Gixxer 1k-R instead.
How are you liking the Gixxer? I have been looking at a base GSXR for a track bike or the 2020 R1, put suspension, etc... GSXR won the superstock AMA 1000 so it's powerhouse. It has the most linear power of all liter bikes.

Does GSXR feel wide? Flickable? Hard to turn? I know for the street it's comfy, but not sure for the track.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How are you liking the Gixxer? I have been looking at a base GSXR for a track bike or the 2020 R1, put suspension, etc... GSXR won the superstock AMA 1000 so it's powerhouse. It has the most linear power of all liter bikes.

Does GSXR feel wide? Flickable? Hard to turn? I know for the street it's comfy, but not sure for the track.
Love my Gixxer 1k-R.
I've done a track day each on the S1k-M and the Gixxer-R.
Gixxer feels narrow, flickable, very easy to turn, and I love the linear power and torque.
Even though I know the 20+ S1k is the better bike, it's really hard to justify the extra cost of the BMW over the Gixxer. But, when BMW offers a proper tune for the US, I will probably pick up a 21+ S1k Non-M or the redesigned S1kSingleR when it comes out and keep the Gixxer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All bikes these days need an ECU tune, its just the way it is. If the Gixxer offered everything the BWW does I would buy one.
I hear ya.
I spun a rod bearing on a new 2005 Gixxer 1k that was 100% stock and it was a NIGHTMARE dealing with the dealer and Suzuki, and they actually covered the rebuild.(after initially trying to rape me)
I never want to go through that again, especially with an aftermarket tune.
Just not worth the drama to me, and BMW has a proven history of raping customers on legitimate warranty claims. Not going to allow them to do that to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
How much was your S1000RR in Mexico?

Don't like the aesthetics of the R1 much, either. The new S1000RR looks good in black. My favorite bike in the looks department is still the 1299 Panigale but that bike has reliability issues and is like riding on an oven. Still on the fence about the V4 Panigale

...and yes, all these bikes benefit from a flash now, it's typically 10-15+ hp
S1000RR Sport Package about $19,300 USD
S1000RR M Package about $21,100 USD

For refence all the other big bikes prices:

GSX-R1000A about $13,800 USD
GSX-R1000R about $18,200 USD

R1 about $20,000 USD
R6 about $15,200 USD

CBR-1000RR about $14,100
CBR-1000RR SP about $19,900 (the old one, not the RRR)

Panigale V2 about $17,700 USD
Panigale V4 about $20,800 USD
Panigale V4S about $26,300 USD

RSV4 RR about $22,700 USD

As you can see the normal R1 is more expensive than an equipped S1000RR. Old Honda SP was the same price, and I assume was built nicer, but is way down on power. V4 is actually very close to the S1000RR in price and looks better hand has nicer brakes, levers, etc., but the maintenance service are crazy expensive here and I was worried about reliability, in hindsight I think I would have been fine with a V4, but hot is also an issue, specially here in Mexico where the weather is hot all year. V4S is the most expensive, only the H2 is more expensive here, but the Kawi site wasn't' working. Interesting to find out that Kawasaki will sell the ZX-25R here, so I might get one down the line, even if Kawasaki sells it with a premium.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The GSXR is a good value it's just kind of fugly. I think they're putting down 175-180 rwhp? Still respectable. You should at least test ride the new S1000RR it is a wonderful experience, I love everything about it.
I already did a track day on a 2020 S1k-M last summer, and fully intended to buy a non-M. The new s1k is awesome, although it does need a tune, and it was a challenge in the pits with my midget legs.

I bought my Gixxer over the winter, mainly because the BMW dealer was being a scumbag and didn't honor his advertised price, so I bought the Gixxer as a F-U to him, I wanted a new bike in black, and I wasn't going to overpay for a bike.

FYI: I think your 2021 Black S1k is the best looking bike on the road right now, next to the matte black Ducatis

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks, but "proper tune" from BMW won't happen, if anything EPA and noise limits just get more restrictive over time.

...and again, the stock 2020 GSXR is neutered just like all of them

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks, but "proper tune" from BMW won't happen, if anything EPA and noise limits just get more restrictive over time.

...and again, the stock 2020 GSXR is neutered just like all of them
I've done track days on both the BMW and the Gixxer.
The Gixxer's stock tune doesn't feel gimped like the BMW does.

Let's just be honest with each other.
The BMW needs a "track tune" from BMW, that retains the factory warranty.

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
62 Posts
The tq map was loaded on mine on Friday and man....it is a turd around 6k-8k rpms.

What sucks for me is the mountain i ride, almost daily, most of it is 2nd gear and not being able to pull out of the corner the way I want to is kicking my tail.. by the time the power comes on im back into another corner..the process repeats. On a track I can see it being fine, ill be carrying more speed then, but at 70-90mph and 51-52deg of lean im already pushing it harder than I should on public roads.
Getting the brentune over black Friday. That from the hours if not days of research should give me the results I am after. And headers..lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
Let's just be honest with each other. The BMW needs a "track tune" from BMW, that retains the factory warranty.
How would BMW do that? Remember the VW fiasco, trying to "cheat" the EPA emission limits? Massive liability - just not worth it

Bren handheld - it's an elegant solution and they will continue to sell loads

·
Registered
137 Posts
How would BMW do that? Remember the VW fiasco, trying to "cheat" the EPA emission limits? Massive liability - just not worth it
I just told you.
BMW needs to offer a "track tune", installed by the dealer free of charge, that retains the BMW warranty.
I literally told a BMW exec to their face that GM has set the legal precedent in the USA by offering a track tune for the Corvette ZO6 that does all of the above.
That was August of last year at a BMW corporate event.

Bren handheld - it's an elegant solution and they will continue to sell loads
And every one of those "loads" are leaving themselves open to be [email protected] Hard by BMW on a blown motor, or other warranty denial.
No thanks, I'm not that stupid.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just told you. BMW needs to offer a "track tune", installed by the dealer free of charge, that retains the BMW warranty.
...and, again - BMW is required to meet noise and emission limits on all their vehicles sold in the US. Any "track tune" installed by a BMW dealer is knowingly ignoring those limits, and they have no way of verifying customer use - they could face huge fines

I literally told a BMW exec to their face that GM has set the legal precedent in the USA by offering a track tune for the Corvette ZO6 that does all of the above.
And keeps the warranty intact? News to me, and I own a ZL1. You would have to somehow prove it was track use only, and not sure how that's possible

That was August of last year at a BMW corporate event.
so let me guess, the response you got was crickets

And every one of those "loads" are leaving themselves open to be [email protected] Hard by BMW on a blown motor, or other warranty denial. No thanks, I'm not that stupid.
There are literally thousands of stage 1 Bren tune bikes out there and how many have blown? Sure nothing is guaranteed, but the stage 1 tune is reasonably conservative for 93 pump gas, just cleans up the ultra lean tuning (especially low to midrange) needed to meet EPA emission limits. You can always flash back to stock if there is a major claim. It's low risk.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've done track days on both the BMW and the Gixxer.
The Gixxer's stock tune doesn't feel gimped like the BMW does.

Let's just be honest with each other.
The BMW needs a "track tune" from BMW, that retains the factory warranty.
Lets be honest, the Gixxer is neutered on the top end and the BMW in the middle.
The new CBR 1000 RRR is neutered too, they all are. So how are you gonna fix the Gixxer issue? Flash or leave it alone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Flat spot is still there. ordering handheld from Bren tomorrow, hopefully that fixes it. My local dealer said they are cool with it and with the hand held I can just flash to stock in case of major issue. So far added the full titanium akrapovic, new rage cycle fender eliminator, gb racing full protection set, R&G Sliders, and puig Racing screen. Coming from my 2013 RR it feels so much more smooth and refined. The handling is effortless. It literally carves corners like a hot knife thru butter. I can flick it around like a 600 but still outrun anything on the street. Going between this and my 13 instantly reminds me which bike I'm on, as the 21 is so easy to ride fast and hard... Think and it does. While the 13 is like trying to tame a wild horse... But it never felt like that until I rode the 21. Prior to buying this bike I always felt like my 13 rode like a dream 😂😭
20201106_025544.jpg
20201106_025603.jpg
20201106_025627.jpg

·
Registered
414 Posts
Flat spot is still there. ordering handheld from Bren tomorrow, hopefully that fixes it. My local dealer said they are cool with it and with the hand held I can just flash to stock in case of major issue. So far added the full titanium akrapovic, new rage cycle fender eliminator, gb racing full protection set, R&G Sliders, and puig Racing screen. Coming from my 2013 RR it feels so much more smooth and refined. The handling is effortless. It literally carves corners like a hot knife thru butter. I can flick it around like a 600 but still outrun anything on the street. Going between this and my 13 instantly reminds me which bike I'm on, as the 21 is so easy to ride fast and hard... Think and it does. While the 13 is like trying to tame a wild horse... But it never felt like that until I rode the 21. Prior to buying this bike I always felt like my 13 rode like a dream 😂😭 View attachment 213994 View attachment 213995 View attachment 213996
Nice! I would wait a few more weeks to get the Bren tune for the Black friday sale, but thats me.
I havent seen that exhaust muffler before, or is it just missing the carbon piece?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Coming from my 2013 RR it feels so much more smooth and refined. The handling is effortless. It literally carves corners like a hot knife thru butter. I can flick it around like a 600 but still outrun anything on the street. Going between this and my 13 instantly reminds me which bike I'm on, as the 21 is so easy to ride fast and hard... Think and it does. While the 13 is like trying to tame a wild horse...
Well said - most people saying the new bike is "flawed" haven't ridden it. It feels like a 600 on steroids

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
62 Posts
I rode my HRC built '15 cbr600rr today that one was going to be my track bike. I used to love it, not I realize how much better this new bike is. Yes it has its flat spot, but even with the oodles of goodies I've poured into my cbr the bmw is worlds ahead. Its light like my 600 flickable like my 600 and way more comfy. And the power... amazing... ill be doing something the flat spot for sure but I'm going to part ways with my former dream bike. Anyone looking for a track ready cbr with a ton of modifications and a spare set of tires hit me up.

161 - 180 of 213 Posts