BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was thinking about the same question, besides the added bling (and the higher profits for BMW) what's the point of a hardened surface chain?

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Do you clean your chain with WD40? That stuff will kill the Orings pretty quick.
No - I use Motul chain cleaner or similar. I usually switch to Renthal sprockets and wind up changing chain and sprockets over the winter anyway.

To add fuel to the WD-40 fire!

·
Administrator
6,761 Posts
I wouldn't bother with those guys, check with the manufacturer of the chain and follow their recommendation. Or get a chain without O rings, problem solved!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I cleaned the original chain of my KTM RC390 with WD-40 all the time, the chain has 15,000 km on it. My bother in law has the bike now and the chain should have been replaced a while ago, but the o-rings look ok. I've also read that some user's guide manual (Suzuki) recommend diesel and other type of fluids to clean the chain. Maybe those chain doesn't have o-rings?

To me the MC Garage video looks legit.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
ugh. Love that M pack but i wouldn't need the lever guards since I don't race. Although they would add bling factor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do the 2020 RR's have GPS in them. This says "activate GPS to trigger laps". If it's not in the 2020 bikes, any guesses on if it could be added and how much. I'm debating buying an aftermarket lap timer, but if it's simply activating it, it should be less expensive to do this.

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
Do the 2020 RR's have GPS in them. This says "activate GPS to trigger laps". If it's not in the 2020 bikes, any guesses on if it could be added and how much. I'm debating buying an aftermarket lap timer, but if it's simply activating it, it should be less expensive to do this.
Currently the 2020 does not have active GPS lap timing. The rumor is the new 2D datalogger what was supposed to release July 2020 ( and did not ) is going to tie into the bikes connections and provide real time GPS lap timing. There are so many other things it can do I hope that is built into it also. The RCK3 on 15 - 19 K46 with a GPS timer from PZRacing allowed 30 sectors to setup DDC suspension changes. It was alot of work to setup, but it really made a difference at one track I implemented the sectioning DDC.

·
Registered
48 Posts
DLC coating provides less friction. Less friction more power on the wheel...
Literally just saw this before reading your post:

Interesting that maybe added power is just a byproduct of the strengthen chain.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I guess sprockets will wear out before the chain, so you just change sprockets and not chain? I wonder if they'll make DLC coated sprockets?

I'll probably switch to 520 pitch over the winter anyway, but a no maintenance chain is tempting.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
IF it works it is a game changer...Imagine combine these with DLC coated sprockets. Maintenance free and more power in the rear wheel. I hope they release a 520 chain.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Wish they could coat the frame finisher in DLC

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does anyone know when 2021 model configurator will be available for the USA? I spoke to my local dealer and they didn't have ordering information for the new accessory package.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts