BMW S1000RR Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ah. STILL a great coating (typical of drill/mill bits), but man, if they could get the new one.... I can see being able to tighten tolerances (less lube needed/use thinner lube), ease the cleaning of guns (lead and soot wouldn't stick as much), the barrels would last longer, especially in larger more (barrel) abusive rounds like the 300 WinMag or .338 Lapua etc. Coatings like this are awesome, and the applications range far and wide. Imagine both rod bearings, main bearings (not the bearing inserts just the block bores), cylinder bores, pistons, valve stems, gear tooth faces, and every other wear surface done with a coating like this.
and supposedly there is an antifriction additive that and i quote "REBUILDS WORN PARTS"

cant use it in anything but a ducatti though

·
Registered
60 Posts
For real? One of these new ones? What happened?

To be nitpicky technical, chains don't "stretch", there isn't enough power there to "stretch" a chain, some of them have tensile strength of like 12,000lbs. What happens is each mating interface wears a few thousandths of an inch, and seeing how a 120 link chain has 240 interfaces, it adds up fast, so they grow LONGER, not "stretch", technically.
i ride hard and i have my gear ratios a little with more torque

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

I just fitted this 2021 M Endurance chain on my 2016 S1000RR. Only part that doesn't fit is the rear sprocket. It also have 45 teeth and almost identical design but different distance between 5 holes . So i bought an aluminium Renthal sprocket. The chain is regular 525 chain so it can be mounted on any bike. The chain kit i bought included a masterlink for closing it. I didn't cut any link, just replace rear sprocket. The front one is good. I only had 300 km so i don't know about longevity, but i will clean/lube it from time to time. I weighed 2016 worn rear sprocket and 2021 new one and was a little shocked . 2021 oem weighs 688 grams and 2016 oem weighs 826 grams , meaning 138 grams les for 2021 one. The sprockets front and rear looks nothing special, just as regular 2016 ones.
Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Gear
Crankset Bicycle Gear Bicycle part Rim
Crankset Gear Bicycle part Wood Rim
Electronic instrument Gas Measuring instrument Office equipment Audio equipment
Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle
Crankset White Light Automotive tire Bicycle part

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
That Renthal rear sprocket looks nice, but I don't use an aluminum sprocket because it will wear a lot faster than a steel one. I usually use a Renthal Superlight front (steel) and a Sunstar steel rear. If Renthal made a Superlight steel rear sprocket I'd use that. I've got to put a chain and set of sprockets on my 'RR after 22,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That Renthal rear sprocket looks nice, but I don't use an aluminum sprocket because it will wear a lot faster than a steel one. I usually use a Renthal Superlight front (steel) and a Sunstar steel rear. If Renthal made a Superlight steel rear sprocket I'd use that. I've got to put a chain and set of sprockets on my 'RR after 22,000 miles.
I was thinking about this to . It is the first time i try an aluminium sprocket (hard anodised).
After a little research i find this hybrid Supersprox ( aluminium core with steel outer ring). It weighs 723 grams, still 103 grams lighter than oem. I will cput this one after Renthal will wear out. As for look........
Bicycle Crankset Gear Bicycle part Groupset

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I was thinking about this to . It is the first time i try an aluminium sprocket (hard anodised).
After a little research i find this hybrid Supersprox ( aluminium core with steel outer ring). It weighs 723 grams, still 103 grams lighter than oem. I will cput this one after Renthal will wear out. As for look........
A true hard anodize (as opposed to regular anodize) actually DOES increase surface hardness, almost to steel levels, but once it wears thru (it will) then you're wearing at the rate of regular aluminum. The advantage to steel sprockets is that it retains that hardness and wear resistance as it wears. I like the idea of steel teeth on an aluminum carrier.

Please let us know what kind of mileage you get on the Renthal, and then on the Sprox.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
46 Posts
I had my dealer install an endurance chain on my last bike (2018 S1000R) and it looked much more "crusty" when new than the one you just installed (pic above). Yours looks much cleaner and more like a new chain.

I am having an endurance chain installed on my 2021 S1000RR next week at first service (part of purchase deal). I'm curious what it will look like.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts