BMW S1000RR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Vendor
3,946 Posts
BMW used to offer chains complete and it requires swing arm removal to replace it. But they offer master links so you can cut and join. I have not checked the parts fiche for the endurance chain but I reckon you could use a normal master link anyway. It just wouldn't be DLC coated which shouldnt matter on 1 link.
This is highly correct. ANY chain can be broken to be installed. It is just a matter of having the right chain breaker and installer.

As to the K46 and K67 swing arm, ... guys have you not noticed this is a hole the chain is going into and around the swing arm? The chain has to be broken open to get it off and get a new on there. Does not matter you remove the swing arm, there is a hole in the swing arm and the chain still has to be broken. Anyone at a dealer telling you they are ordering an endless ( infinity chain ) and installing to the K46 or K67 without breaking it is lying. This is no chinese puzzle where standing on one foot and holding the swingarm at 11 oclock and the chain will somehow fall off the swing arm is going to work. I ordered a swing arm from LKQ back in 2017 and they shipped it with the chain still on there. I was thinking why did they leave the chain on the swing arm. Then I realized it cannot be removed because it is going into a hole of the swingarm as part of the routing.

DLC is Diamond Like Coating. I have not broke a link yet on DLC. I have broke a many a link on every other chain that has been around since 1970. I have used the removed links on chains as my master link. That mean putting the exact same link from the chain back into the chain. So, if I break a DLC chain and I dont ruin the removed link in any way, I can reinstall that link with 100% success of use for 1000's of miles. It is extremely difficult to do this however.

Here are the holes in the swingarm. The chain is passing into and around those.

·
Registered
8 Posts
how can you go that long without adjusting? in 25k miles id have to change tires at least twice lol
Well I suppose if you set / keep the adjusters where they were prior to disassembly, the chain’s prior tension would end up identical when you put it back together.

If it hasn’t stretched, then you would not adjust it. You would simply tighten the axle back to its original position.

Or alternatively, you can just loosen up and move the adjusters the hell out of the way and just reestablish chain tension afterward.

The point being you wouldn’t need to give the chain attention on its own

I might just be overly optimistic and easily impressed, but if it only lets me keep my wheel, front sprocket area, and kickstand 90wt-free and only require individual, specific attention every 25,000 ( made-up number used only as an example) then I’m sold.

Realistically I get to my chain every two weeks, which is about 1,000 mi. I’m at about 17,000 mi. While I could likely get along fine with the original chain for another few thousand, I just don’t like wearing a chain to near its last breath and risk catastrophic lockup if it breaks.
I’m still on my second rear tire, (Michelin Road 5 —great commuter tire). So if I’m counting right, I’ve done 1 rear tire replacement/ chain adjustment and 16 chain maint/ adjustment only.

Assuming 20 min from bring into shop
I was just at the dealer and the parts department said that these chains are “infinity” chains. Meaning (had to ask WTH that means) it doesn’t have a master link. He said I would have to remove the rear swing arm. Is this true?
No. Don’t know how to upload photos but I clearly have a 119 link 525 chain with a rivet style master link.

I never trust what a dealer tells My local dealer at first didn’t even know about it until I called to inquire, then told me they were only available in Europe and would not come to the USA until 2021-2022.

I immediately checked the internet, found and ordered one from an out of town BMW dealer’s parts department. They knew all about it and sent me one.
This is highly correct. ANY chain can be broken to be installed. It is just a matter of having the right chain breaker and installer.

As to the K46 and K67 swing arm, ... guys have you not noticed this is a hole the chain is going into and around the swing arm? The chain has to be broken open to get it off and get a new on there. Does not matter you remove the swing arm, there is a hole in the swing arm and the chain still has to be broken. Anyone at a dealer telling you they are ordering an endless ( infinity chain ) and installing to the K46 or K67 without breaking it is lying. This is no chinese puzzle where standing on one foot and holding the swingarm at 11 oclock and the chain will somehow fall off the swing arm is going to work. I ordered a swing arm from LKQ back in 2017 and they shipped it with the chain still on there. I was thinking why did they leave the chain on the swing arm. Then I realized it cannot be removed because it is going into a hole of the swingarm as part of the routing.

DLC is Diamond Like Coating. I have not broke a link yet on DLC. I have broke a many a link on every other chain that has been around since 1970. I have used the removed links on chains as my master link. That mean putting the exact same link from the chain back into the chain. So, if I break a DLC chain and I dont ruin the removed link in any way, I can reinstall that link with 100% success of use for 1000's of miles. It is extremely difficult to do this however.

Here are the holes in the swingarm. The chain is passing into and around those.

View attachment 214472

View attachment 214473
it isn’t an ‘infinity’ chain it is 119 links with a master link sold as a separate item. Parts man said it was specifically for that chain.

You could probably run a regular uncoatrd master link, but why? The link is only 8 bucks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can anyone confirm weather or not I would have to “break” a link and put the master link in or does it come in open ended?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
my gun barrel is coated in this
Your gun barrel is coated with what, DLC (been around for a while, used on fork tubes), or the new "...tetrahedrally amorphous carbon (ta-C), a type of industrial diamond..." coating? As I understand it they're different, supposedly with the (ta-C) being a lot tougher. For reference, most of these coatings were originally designed to extend the life of milling/drilling and lathe cutting tools etc.

Also, keep in mind folks, that like anodizing, or even hard anodizing (they're different surface treatments, and hard anodize actually hardens the surface), these are only SURFACE coatings/treatments. Once they wear through, now the base materials hardness and abrasion/wear resistance characteristics are in play (i.e. drastically lower). So, the coating itself may be the best thing since sliced bread, but when that's gone, it's just a REALLY expensive regular chain.

I'm tempted, but I want to see real-world results first. Me, I don't mind lubing the chain at the end of every day on long rides, but I'm tired of chain lube getting EVERYWHERE. I'd be happier with better chain guards, to be honest, it's a WAY cheaper fix, if not so sleek and sexay...

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I STRETCHED MY CHAIN WTF THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE IMPOSSIBLE
For real? One of these new ones? What happened?

To be nitpicky technical, chains don't "stretch", there isn't enough power there to "stretch" a chain, some of them have tensile strength of like 12,000lbs. What happens is each mating interface wears a few thousandths of an inch, and seeing how a 120 link chain has 240 interfaces, it adds up fast, so they grow LONGER, not "stretch", technically.

·
Registered
2021 bmw s1000rr m package
49 Posts
I have 2021 s1000rr m package, how can i know if my bike with M endurance chain or normal chain?

·
Registered
60 Posts
For real? One of these new ones? What happened?

To be nitpicky technical, chains don't "stretch", there isn't enough power there to "stretch" a chain, some of them have tensile strength of like 12,000lbs. What happens is each mating interface wears a few thousandths of an inch, and seeing how a 120 link chain has 240 interfaces, it adds up fast, so they grow LONGER, not "stretch", technically.
yes i kniow, one sec ill take pics

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your gun barrel is coated with what, DLC (been around for a while, used on fork tubes), or the new "...tetrahedrally amorphous carbon (ta-C), a type of industrial diamond..." coating? As I understand it they're different, supposedly with the (ta-C) being a lot tougher. For reference, most of these coatings were originally designed to extend the life of milling/drilling and lathe cutting tools etc.

Also, keep in mind folks, that like anodizing, or even hard anodizing (they're different surface treatments, and hard anodize actually hardens the surface), these are only SURFACE coatings/treatments. Once they wear through, now the base materials hardness and abrasion/wear resistance characteristics are in play (i.e. drastically lower). So, the coating itself may be the best thing since sliced bread, but when that's gone, it's just a REALLY expensive regular chain.

I'm tempted, but I want to see real-world results first. Me, I don't mind lubing the chain at the end of every day on long rides, but I'm tired of chain lube getting EVERYWHERE. I'd be happier with better chain guards, to be honest, it's a WAY cheaper fix, if not so sleek and sexay...
opooops my bad my gun barre is TI-N COATED

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
opooops my bad my gun barre is TI-N COATED

Ah. STILL a great coating (typical of drill/mill bits), but man, if they could get the new one.... I can see being able to tighten tolerances (less lube needed/use thinner lube), ease the cleaning of guns (lead and soot wouldn't stick as much), the barrels would last longer, especially in larger more (barrel) abusive rounds like the 300 WinMag or .338 Lapua etc. Coatings like this are awesome, and the applications range far and wide. Imagine both rod bearings, main bearings (not the bearing inserts just the block bores), cylinder bores, pistons, valve stems, gear tooth faces, and every other wear surface done with a coating like this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ah. STILL a great coating (typical of drill/mill bits), but man, if they could get the new one.... I can see being able to tighten tolerances (less lube needed/use thinner lube), ease the cleaning of guns (lead and soot wouldn't stick as much), the barrels would last longer, especially in larger more (barrel) abusive rounds like the 300 WinMag or .338 Lapua etc. Coatings like this are awesome, and the applications range far and wide. Imagine both rod bearings, main bearings (not the bearing inserts just the block bores), cylinder bores, pistons, valve stems, gear tooth faces, and every other wear surface done with a coating like this.
there is this
ITS ALSO BALANCED <3

61 - 80 of 88 Posts