BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

Banned
BMW doesn't make chains, there are only perhaps 4 manufacturers in the world. So, BMW is obviously having DID, or someone else, make the chains for them. And unless BMW developed this coating themselves and it's proprietary (not likely, but possible), someone will make an aftermarket chain using this technology.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
BMW doesn't make chains, there are only perhaps 4 manufacturers in the world. So, BMW is obviously having DID, or someone else, make the chains for them. And unless BMW developed this coating themselves and it's proprietary (not likely, but possible), someone will make an aftermarket chain using this technology.
I just haven't seen any similar announcement from anyone else. Have you?

I don't know if BMW has a patent on this or otherwise led its development. That they (probably) subcontract its manufacture to one of the large chain manufacturers is unimportant here. Given the apparent large benefit of the technology - no required chain adjustment, no chain cleaning/lubing, and longer life - I can't imagine that this ultimately doesn't hit all other motorcycle brands along with other chain applications. Lightech can't be terribly happy about the development, though their stuff seems mostly about bling anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
For those who like to clean their chains with the engine running...Charles Darwin is very appreciative of your support. :p
Clever.

Maybe consider the possibility that it is possible to do this in a manner that is very safe as well as effective and efficient.

Registered
For those who like to clean their chains with the engine running...Charles Darwin is very appreciative of your support. :p
do you think my chain cleaning brush is somehow involved in the evolutionary tree of life?
cause thats the only thing in danger when i clean the chain with the engine running... do you clean your chain with your hand?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
do you think my chain cleaning brush is somehow involved in the evolutionary tree of life?
cause thats the only thing in danger when i clean the chain with the engine running... do you clean your chain with your hand?
Just because they can't figure out a way to do it safely, they assume you can't either.

The least dangerous thing I do with my RR is clean my chain. It's truly bizarre to be lectured on this.

Registered
One thing about this "new" chain that diminishes its appeal for me a little - how durable are the x-r
No...

Registered
Most of the people who have admonished me for cleaning a chain with the engine running are the mechanics at work who I learned how to clean a chain with the engine running by watching. They have a point though, as they all know other mechanics who have sustained injuries doing the same.

IMHO doing it manually is both better and safer, but a bit slower and not so good for impressing impressionable idiots.

Bottom line, it can be risky if you're not paying attention, and I sincerely believe that people should be aware of the risks they are going to choose to take, but it's their choice.

Banned
I pray to God none of you who DO clean their chain with the engine running get hurt, I don't want to see anyone injured. Like I said, I personally know 2 examples of pretty gnarly injuries from this type of stuff. It happens so quickly you don't have a chance. I also know several friends who work construction, and had a bad habit of wiring back guards on their saws etc. to save time...and guess what? Several of them are missing parts of fingers too. To me, it's not even close to being worth the risk, for what, a minute or 2 time savings??? But, to each his own, and best of luck!

Reactions: AlfSimen

Registered
Well I sprang for it. $280 with master link. My Single R is at 17,000 mi so I ordered the 525 119L chain listed for the RR. The manual says my chain is the same. Just puzzled why they left the R off the list.

My sprockets aren鈥檛 really very worn but I鈥檓 going with new to give the chain a fair chance.

I put 17,000 miles on it in 9 months. That was a whole lot of time spent adjusting and oiling I hope to never
do again. if it will at least go 25000 without oiling or adjusting I鈥檇 still be satisfied.

Sprockets are due in tomorrow and it鈥檚 going on. Will try to keep you guys posted every couple of thousand miles

Banned
The R and RR do share the same 525 pitch.

the only difference in the endurance chain is it is DLC coated.

Nate indicated at the M1000RR COTA meeting that it cost BMW alot of money to get Regina to put /// M on the chain too for the M1000RR which is the DLC coating too.

Registered
Sprockets are due in tomorrow and it鈥檚 going on. Will try to keep you guys posted every couple of thousand miles
What sprockets did you order (I guess they are not DLC coated)?

I'm interested to hear how the harder chain treats the new sprockets.

Registered
What sprockets did you order (I guess they are not DLC coated)?

I'm interested to hear how the harder chain treats the new sprockets.
Ordered stock 鈥19 s1000r front and rear sprockets from BMW Parts catalogue.

I could not find any information or special part numbers suggesting there were special sprockets.

I鈥檓 as far from a metallurgist as you can get and may very well have this wrong, but from what I think they are saying is;

The special coating on the rollers makes the chain fall friction-free deeper and more evenly into the sprocket during rotational application of load. This allows the chain to engage more teeth in the sprocket at the same time, resulting in the same stresses as before spread over more links of the chain.

Or not. I might be a deluded dunce.

But I鈥檝e heard/ read / picked up as lint and never threw away, info that primarily the first three links of your rear chain are taking all the power. The rest are just coming around for the ride, waiting their turn

If true, and if this chain can engage, say just three more teeth, the load/ friction/ compression on each link might be cut nearly in half.

If it could engage and stress some part of, say 18 rollers, a chain wrapped around a 45 tooth sprocket, then it might, in a perfect world, last 6 times longer

Again, or not.

I think chain wear is exponential. The more worn they get, the quicker they wear and stretch. In my case I stress the hell out of my 鈥榬eady for maintenance鈥 chain just before I adjust it by hammering the chain back and forth against the excess slack. (No hate please!! I have a 90 mile daily commute thru urban CA city and can only hold perfect clutch and throttle for so long!)

if this chain is adjusted perfectly the first time it is installed and if it maintains that near perfect minimum slack, that alone will significantly lower further chain wear by eliminating chain lash.

But for your original question, the chain coating is not supposed to wear a regular sprocket.

We will see. I鈥檝e owned a lot of BMW cars, and their mistakes are usually driven by their marketing department. The engineering department seem conservative.

I鈥檇 be surprised if they bet on this without being sure, especially since they risked putting the now overused, but a marketing gold mine 鈥楳sport鈥 moniker on it.

Registered
I was just at the dealer and the parts department said that these chains are 鈥渋nfinity鈥 chains. Meaning (had to ask WTH that means) it doesn鈥檛 have a master link. He said I would have to remove the rear swing arm. Is this true?

Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
BMW used to offer chains complete and it requires swing arm removal to replace it. But they offer master links so you can cut and join. I have not checked the parts fiche for the endurance chain but I reckon you could use a normal master link anyway. It just wouldn't be DLC coated which shouldnt matter on 1 link.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts