BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What do people know about this? It is apparently now standard on the S1000 line (RR, XR).

I've read several articles and haven't seen any mention of longevity, any need for external lubrication (for sprockets), etc. It says no maintenance, no stretching, no adjustment, etc. Sounds revolutionary and eliminates the remaining advantage of its shaft drives it seems.

I won't need a new chain for a while, but I'm curious about what this means. What more do you guys know?

Banned
Yeah, I'm DEFINITELY interested. If the coating is that good, think of medical devices like knee and hip replacements that would last forever instead of needing to be replaced. Coating internal engine parts, and coating gun parts to work better in tough conditions for the military. There's a thread that was started. Maintenance Free Chain?

Reactions: Xtremsiege2

Registered
Yeah, I'm DEFINITELY interested. If the coating is that good, think of medical devices like knee and hip replacements that would last forever instead of needing to be replaced. Coating internal engine parts, and coating gun parts to work better in tough conditions for the military. There's a thread that was started. Maintenance Free Chain?
BMW already has good experience with such coatings being used on the internals of engines for a while.
Therefore it probably was a matter of being technically and economically able to produce them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
BMW already has good experience with such coatings being used on the internals of engines for a while.
Therefore it probably was a matter of being technically and economically able to produce them.

There are all kinds of other coatings to be used, and I'm sure they used them, but this is the first time I've heard of such a revolutionary coating and I haven't seen it's use except for here on a chain.

Administrator
There are quite a few DLC - type coatings, they have been used on fork tubes for many years, much smoother than chrome, but not cheap. Now many high performance engine parts are getting the treatment too.

Banned
There are quite a few DLC - type coatings, they have been used on fork tubes for many years, much smoother than chrome, but not cheap. Now many high performance engine parts are getting the treatment too.
This seems to be a major step above DLC, or any of the other IVD type coatings, which were used for years on drill bits and cutting tools before their use on fork tubes. I'm excited to see what uses they will have for this!

Reactions: skapan

Registered
Dang! I just replaced my chain at 12,000 miles (now have 15,000). Oh well, next chain replacement, I want one.

I'm guessing you still have to clean the chain, though, and that's where most of the work occurs...so maybe not that big a deal after all?

Registered
There are all kinds of other coatings to be used, and I'm sure they used them, but this is the first time I've heard of such a revolutionary coating and I haven't seen it's use except for here on a chain.
They use this for the pistons at the bushings that mount on the crankshaft. At one part to protect engines for start stop excess wear. For example.

Registered
Have the part number 33819444386 and costs around 350 usd.
Think your dealer needs training or learn how to use the 鈥渟earch鈥 function :)

Is it worth your time? I mean the time you will save by not having to oil it and clean it.

Banned
Why wouldn't you have to clean it?
Without having to lube it with chain lube, there would be no gunk. I use a LOT of lube, which is why my chains last so long, but, even though I wipe them down after spraying, I still find globs of lube on the back of my helmet, my jacket, the tailsection. There must be some REALLY weird aero effects happening to fling lube FORWARD... I don't mind lubing the chain, I just hate that it gets everywhere and is a PITA to get off of things.

Banned
They use this for the pistons at the bushings that mount on the crankshaft. At one part to protect engines for start stop excess wear. For example.

They use the new coating they just developed, or the typical IVD coatings that have been used for years? From the article, it seems like this is a totally new coating not used elsewhere.

Registered
Have the part number 33819444386 and costs around 350 usd.
Think your dealer needs training or learn how to use the 鈥渟earch鈥 function :)
That appears to be a 127 link chain for an S1000XR. Perhaps it's not the dealers that need training?

Registered
Without having to lube it with chain lube, there would be no gunk. I use a LOT of lube, which is why my chains last so long, but, even though I wipe them down after spraying, I still find globs of lube on the back of my helmet, my jacket, the tailsection. There must be some REALLY weird aero effects happening to fling lube FORWARD... I don't mind lubing the chain, I just hate that it gets everywhere and is a PITA to get off of things.
I don't know, CM...I use MOTUL chain clean and chain lube. Immediately after applying the lube (on the inside diameter of the chain), I spin the rear tire and hold a microfiber cloth to the side plates to get off any excess that would attract dirt, BEFORE it dries. If you've got that kind of fling, it's either the lube you use or maybe you're applying it on the outside of the chain?

Banned
I don't know, CM...I use MOTUL chain clean and chain lube. Immediately after applying the lube (on the inside diameter of the chain), I spin the rear tire and hold a microfiber cloth to the side plates to get off any excess that would attract dirt, BEFORE it dries. If you've got that kind of fling, it's either the lube you use or maybe you're applying it on the outside of the chain?
I lube it a LOT, on the inside of the chain and both sides where the X-rings are, then just use a regular clean rag (old sock, shirt, etc.) to wipe off the excess, BUT, I still always have a few drops flung onto the bike, one or 2 on the helmet, and one or 2 on the gear. Always. What I did for a while was run the bike up to 100 or so on the rear wheel stand with hands on the front brake and clutch just in case...but I'm sure the racket it'd make wouldn't be appreciated in my new housing development as it was when I was just renting (Eff 'Em!). What I REALLY want to do is design a thin, aluminum or stainless chainguard that wraps around the rear sprocket at least down to the axle, maybe lower. I always take the guard off when taking the rear wheel off anyway, so... I figure that would pretty much cure any of the lube slinging off anywhere except inside the guard.

Registered
That appears to be a 127 link chain for an S1000XR. Perhaps it's not the dealers that need training?
Well in first place nobody here except me was able to get the number from their dealer. We checked and it was the M chain indeed.

So up to you to get the good one then if you find better my friend!

Registered
I lube it a LOT, on the inside of the chain and both sides where the X-rings are, then just use a regular clean rag (old sock, shirt, etc.) to wipe off the excess, BUT, I still always have a few drops flung onto the bike, one or 2 on the helmet, and one or 2 on the gear. Always. What I did for a while was run the bike up to 100 or so on the rear wheel stand with hands on the front brake and clutch just in case...but I'm sure the racket it'd make wouldn't be appreciated in my new housing development as it was when I was just renting (Eff 'Em!). What I REALLY want to do is design a thin, aluminum or stainless chainguard that wraps around the rear sprocket at least down to the axle, maybe lower. I always take the guard off when taking the rear wheel off anyway, so... I figure that would pretty much cure any of the lube slinging off anywhere except inside the guard.
Interesting. I've never had a fling problem with MOTUL.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts