BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

This has always tickled my brain and would be good to hear from owners there thoughts. I understand with the gen3 the s1000rr changed a lot but is it more powerful and refined?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

·
Administrator
6,970 Posts
The HP4 is essentially a 2014 RR. It has forged wheels and DDC suspension but in reality its just a nicer looking RR. A 2015-2016 gen 3 is a better bike. It has cruise control and also quickshift up and down. The HP4 didn't have that. Don't get caught up in the looks of the HP4, they aren't worth it.

·
Vendor
2,705 Posts
What do you really want to read beyond the power and refinements. That in itself should tell you 15 and newer is always supposed to be better than older. No company out there designs a new motorcycle or car and indicates that the consumer should buy the previous year model because it is actually better.

I have seen products that in consumer testing would say the previous year was so much better. In reality it was the justification to not upgrade and spend more money most likely.

The electronics in the 15/16 are ECU BMSX, and yet the 17/18/19 are BMSMP, and the 2019/20 K67 are BMSO.. all these are huge upgrades from year model to year model.

The hardware change was the 2019/20 K67. That rear suspension is so much an upgrade from the K46 it puts it in a game changer status.

The 2012-14 K46 HP4 is just a rewrapped 2012-14 base/premium S1000RR with some upgrades and stepping stone development to the 15 release. The HP4 got the protocol change in the ECU to handle the ESA ( DDC suspension ). Then there is the DTC adjustment feature in slick mode.

Its my opinion is if you can buy a HP4 competition for $5000 with low miles, that would be a good buy to start with the BMW S1000RR product line. However if you are spending $10000 USD then you better be looking for 17/18/19 K46. I have not seen any K67's below $19000 yet in M package.

Reactions: RRnut

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
What do you really want to read beyond the power and refinements. That in itself should tell you 15 and newer is always supposed to be better than older. No company out there designs a new motorcycle or car and indicates that the consumer should buy the previous year model because it is actually better.

I have seen products that in consumer testing would say the previous year was so much better. In reality it was the justification to not upgrade and spend more money most likely.

The electronics in the 15/16 are ECU BMSX, and yet the 17/18/19 are BMSMP, and the 2019/20 K67 are BMSO.. all these are huge upgrades from year model to year model.

The hardware change was the 2019/20 K67. That rear suspension is so much an upgrade from the K46 it puts it in a game changer status.

The 2012-14 K46 HP4 is just a rewrapped 2012-14 base/premium S1000RR with some upgrades and stepping stone development to the 15 release. The HP4 got the protocol change in the ECU to handle the ESA ( DDC suspension ). Then there is the DTC adjustment feature in slick mode.

Its my opinion is if you can buy a HP4 competition for $5000 with low miles, that would be a good buy to start with the BMW S1000RR product line. However if you are spending $10000 USD then you better be looking for 17/18/19 K46. I have not seen any K67's below $19000 yet in M package.
There have been cases where the previous was better. I prefer the NA C63 to the new turbo versions for example.

Now the 2015 (Gen 2) is better than the HP4. But the HP4 has a little extra that seems to be holding its price. Not sure where you are going to find a $5k HP4, but if you do, let me know.

And to the OP, it depends on what is important to you? Cost? Value? Tech? Warranty if still applicable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I use to sell BMWs and had an 2014 HP4Comp on the floor in late 2018. Bike had 1,000 miles on it and was almost pristine. Put it on the internet and had multiple deposit-ready buyers across the US in a matter of hours. It was a beautiful machine. I asked the buyer, who bought it sight unseen, what all the excitement was about. As a salesperson, and a '15 RR owner, I understood the attraction, but not the value. The buyer ultimately admitted that he believed it to be "collectible". While it's a great bike, with a handful of tasteful accessories and bits of flash, it isn't exactly collectible. However, perhaps I'm wrong.....the prices of HP4Cs have certainly remained elevated over the improved 2015-16 model years. See what a pretty face get's you!

·
Registered
54 Posts
It depends on what you use it for, I bought mine specifically for racing, even though I had to remove the DDC but in this instance it was well worth it, the adjustable TC was good but the brakes were the biggest reason for me. And the lighter wheels made a big difference in change of direction.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use to sell BMWs and had an 2014 HP4Comp on the floor in late 2018. Bike had 1,000 miles on it and was almost pristine. Put it on the internet and had multiple deposit-ready buyers across the US in a matter of hours. It was a beautiful machine. I asked the buyer, who bought it sight unseen, what all the excitement was about. As a salesperson, and a '15 RR owner, I understood the attraction, but not the value. The buyer ultimately admitted that he believed it to be "collectible". While it's a great bike, with a handful of tasteful accessories and bits of flash, it isn't exactly collectible. However, perhaps I'm wrong.....the prices of HP4Cs have certainly remained elevated over the improved 2015-16 model years. See what a pretty face get's you!
maybe in the future the hp4 will be more desirable and if I am not mistaken, a limited run?

·
Vendor
2,705 Posts
I dont call 7500 HP4 units from 12-14 limited run.

750 2017/18 HP4 RACE is limited run and numbered as such.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
I dont call 7500 HP4 units from 12-14 limited run.

750 2017/18 HP4 RACE is limited run and numbered as such.
13/14 only. Was supposed to be 1500 per year, but demand went up cause it was a good deal...and supply followed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sold my 2017 s1000rr to pick up a used hardly ridden 2014 hp4. (Am I the one talked about above? Lol).

In my eyes the hp4 race might be the most exclusive...but its not a street bike. The hp4 competition is the most exclusive and the best looking of the first generation s1000rr. For anyone who has not seen it in person it is beautiful. I'm talking Ducati, mv agusta beautiful. Maybe lacking a few bells and whistles of the latter years, but i can tell you it gives you a special feeling riding it and its a head turner. All other s1000rr gen 1,2 3 are just run of the mill and a dime a dozen. The hp4 is collectable and if you want a original wonky eyed beast its the one to have.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see an exclusive model, slotted between the M and the HP4 Race, that is street legal. Say somewhere in the $35K USD region. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see an exclusive model, slotted between the M and the HP4 Race, that is street legal. Say somewhere in the $35K USD region. Wouldn't surprise me at all.
It is coming...M1000RR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts