BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
hi guys
I wonder if any of you managed to get the official bmw flash?

Torque Optimization .. not worth it if you want to keep your top end power.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have this flash for the past month, it's feels way better than the factory software.
Just getting out of the dealer you can feel that that the engine is linear. I mostly do twisty roads so If I had to keep one software it would be the optimized torque one.

But after talking with someone at BMW about the software issue and confirmation that it would not void my warranty:
I'm going to get a aftermarket tune and get what the bike is suppose to deliver from bottom to top in the rpm range.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I have this flash for the past month, it's feels way better than the factory software.
Just getting out of the dealer you can feel that that the engine is linear. I mostly do twisty roads so If I had to keep one software it would be the optimized torque one.

But after talking with someone at BMW about the software issue and confirmation that it would not void my warranty:
I'm going to get a aftermarket tune and get what the bike is suppose to deliver from bottom to top in the rpm range.
Someone at BMW told you you would keep your warranty with a aftermarket tune?

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
i was really surprised, but a buddy of mine with a '20 was told by the local dealer that if he did the akra with an aftermarket tune (from a supplier that allegedly burned up my head on my older model), that it wouldn't affect his warranty. years ago, same dealer had told me the only option not affecting warranty was the akra system/tune from them for $3500 or whatever total they quoted me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i was really surprised, but a buddy of mine with a '20 was told by the local dealer that if he did the akra with an aftermarket tune (from a supplier that allegedly burned up my head on my older model), that it wouldn't affect his warranty.
I would verify that , it sounds fishy

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I would verify that , it sounds fishy
completely agree. tried warning him, and he hasn't pulled the trigger yet. especially since that same dealer didn't even want to hook their computer to my bike with an aftermarket flash.

most of us that wrench on our own stuff sort of accept that things we don't touch will still be warranted, but things we mess with....that's usually on us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
completely agree. tried warning him, and he hasn't pulled the trigger yet. especially since that same dealer didn't even want to hook their computer to my bike with an aftermarket flash.

most of us that wrench on our own stuff sort of accept that things we don't touch will still be warranted, but things we mess with....that's usually on us.
I agree with you also.... once we modify something we all accept any responsibility for whatever happens.... Its not impossible but I have never heard of an OEM maintaining a powertrain warranty when they know there is aftermarket programming on the ECU.

some dealers may not care and they may look the other way, but if push comes to shove and things potentially get expensive for them , I guarantee they dont make good on their word.

·
Registered
435 Posts

Try getting that in writing from them ( that a akra exhaust and aftermarket tune won’t affect warranty) and have them sign it. Bet they won’t!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
Try getting that in writing from them ( that a akra exhaust and aftermarket tune won’t affect warranty) and have them sign it. Bet they won’t!
Of course they won't. No one there has authority to sign something like that anyway.

BMW has the right to deny warranty claims caused by user actions or modifications. This is consistent with all warranty practice everywhere.

There are obviously lots of gray areas. It pays to maintain a very good relationship with your dealer and BMW service manager specifically. In the case of a gray area, they will then fight for you with their BMW counterpart. It makes a difference. Jerks get treated very differently from customers that they like. And this obviously isn't specific to BMW, but the world generally.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course they won't. No one there has authority to sign something like that anyway.

BMW has the right to deny warranty claims caused by user actions or modifications. This is consistent with all warranty practice everywhere.

There are obviously lots of gray areas. It pays to maintain a very good relationship with your dealer and BMW service manager specifically. In the case of a gray area, they will then fight for you with their BMW counterpart. It makes a difference. Jerks get treated very differently from customers that they like. And this obviously isn't specific to BMW, but the world generally.
completely agree, as much as higher ups like black and white making green, the service guys are more likely to work with people vs. policies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am not going to go into all details, let's just say that: the person to who I spoke is way higher than the service manager at BMW. Told me that they know about the issue with the stock software. They know that all k67 are being flashed, the person even told me a bunch of names of guys running a BrenTuning tune in the local scene.
They are tolerating a aftermarket tunes(stg1). The person even sended me the contract about warranty and it never quotes a dme flash, only added non approved aftermarket parts will void your warranty.
So by keeping the bike stock, you are in the ''grey'' area, since no parts were changed.
Keep the cat and flash it: enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
So to answer the original question, yes some of us have gotten the BMW flash on the K67. What questions do you have pertaining to it?

there are plenty other threads where we could talk about aftermarket flashes and warranty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So to answer the original question, yes some of us have gotten the BMW flash on the K67. What questions do you have pertaining to it?

there are plenty other threads where we could talk about aftermarket flashes and warranty.
I'm still waiting on my dealer to get from bmw

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
Some dealers dont like to update ISTA because it creates other problems with other models. Especially if the internet connection is very close to BMWAG

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
yep, as you know Floyd, mine said they had a problem before where the ISTA completely blanked the after market flash on someone else's, so they didn't want to even connect their computer to my bike. at least you were able to get it running again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts