BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have seen worse. Had a BMW X5 move from the extreme right lane (US) all across traffic and try to take my lane (outside left). I am lots more aggressive then you and will not give up a lane unless forced to. I laid on the freeway blasters until she stopped and stared at me. Another time, a guy with a 3 series started to move into my lane and I was right next to him, watching his eyes and face in the mirror when he finally used it. I knew he was going to move as he crept up to the car in front real close first. He looked darn surprised when I laid on the horns. Your lane position here is excellent, same one I always choose. Gives you an out, but also false clearance for one of these "no shoulder" drivers. BTW, my S-bike has straight Taylor exhaust. Generally, people hear me before they see me. All my other bikes have freeway blasters.

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
I had a guy merge over on me. I was in the right hand lane. He moved from middle to right. I had cruise control on. Hands off bars. I moved onto the shoulder. And sat next to him. Still doing 100kmh on the shoulder. He didnt even look for a while. Then he looked at me with a shocked look. Wondered why I would be riding on the shoulder not even in a lane. NFI.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Used to really hate on Toyota, Honda and Subaru drivers for being generally bad drivers(typical production models) but at least they're usually predictable. After not driving a bmw for a few years have noticed how bad they really are and how unpredictable they can be as the video shows; an entitled 3 series driver cuts me off or sits in the fast lane unaware of their surrounds or laws daily. It seems like every double parking meme, or bad driving video involves a bmw of sorts unfortunately.

Good thing us Bmw riders are the exception, on our bikes0:)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Car make doesn't matter. I've had 3 drivers enter my lane from the opposite direction due to distracted driving, and it really annoys me, since head on collisions seem not to favor motorcycles. In each case they saw me in time and swerved back, at which time I extended my left arm with index finger pointing to their proper lane, but I seriously doubt if they even understood that was the lane they should be in.

·
Registered
859 Posts
That's biz as usual on the LA freeways. Not even worth a horn. I almost got taken out by a bike cop splitting lanes behind me. Passed me going delta 20mph at least inches from me and never looked back or slowed. Scared the F outa me

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Sometimes, when I see a lineup of traffic in the opposite direction coming toward me in the canyons (rare, since I mostly ride during the week), and acting like someone's going to try a pass, I'll turn on my hazard flashers for extra visibility. It's probably not "legal", but it works. I also weave side-to-side often, for the same reason.

Anyone else ever engage your flashers in traffic to "wake up" the zombies around you?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
ohhhh boy

The problem (as I see it) is at the very core, two fold:

A - EVERYONE lacks common courtesy.

B - This is followed very closely with the increasing mindset shared by so many, who apparently seem to think it is their duty or right to enforce the law, or seek immediate retribution against those (they feel wronged by) who have done them wrong.

Obviously if you demonstrate common courtesy (even to those who make it their business to be complete d-bags), a lot of this raging on the roads would cease to exist.

If you aren't an "ON DUTY" Law Enforcement Officer, leave the ENFORCEMENT to those who are "ON DUTY".

My "perspective" may hit others sideways, but I've been brainwashed for the last 16 years, that ALL ACCIDENTS ARE AVOIDABLE.....IF......ONE party CHOOSES to act defensively, rather than RIGHT (aka offensively).
I know, I know, what if someone t-bones your ass while you are doing everything right/lawful, yet they are traveling at the speed of sound while drunk. I get it, there are certain circumstances where an accident is truly an ACCIDENT, but it's not really an accident, it's complete negligence.

Much like if you are the poor soul who happens to be in a line of vehicles stopped on a highway, through no fault of your own and an inattentive driver, plows into the back of your vehicle. How the EFFFF ITTY EFFF are you expected to avoid that one, Einstein?

I get it, Arseholes are EVERYWHERE, the key is not to be lured into behaving like one.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
HA!

Not only BMW cagers but y'all never have encountered both Prius and Tesla drivers yet.

They will make your head spin.

0:)
Bull#hit, they exist beyond the borders of the Republic of California, chief.
Anyone, could make a case a certain sect, of certain vehicle drivers are more prone to act omnipotent/disrespectful to others, but that's really a waste of energy and thought.

Stereotypes are unfortunate and sometimes seem unavoidable, but if you step away and evaluate what YOU are doing or could do, to make the situation a non-issue, maybe there would be less hostility on our roads.

A lot of people think all truck drives are slow/discourteous/reckless/drug addicts/felons/etc.

FACT: NTSB, reports that off ALL accidents involving a Commercial Motor Vehicle and a non CMV (motorcycle/car/pickup truck/SUV), in roughly 74% of the cases, the CMV operator is NOT in ANY WAY responsible for the collision.

"Well pops, if that's remotely true, why do I see all these ads for 'hurt in an accident with a cmv?
call I-H8B-IGT-RUKS (I H8 BIG TRUKS)' " cuz MONEY, SON!

Don't take my word for it, look it up...https://www.ntsb.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Given the right set of circumstances, regardless of background/education/experience/ethnicity/beliefs/etc. WE ALL CAN BE THE ONE who is at fault.

Best to focus our efforts instead on insuring we are NOT, regardless of circumstance. Hard for a lot of us to do, with radios, navigation, people in the car talking/engaging in conversation, cell phone, internet, text messages, etc.

OHHHH and let's not forget the NICE people who miss their exit, take the wrong exit, exit from 5 lanes over, etc. there's so much "B.S. thought" (non-thought) around, of entitlement, and making your problem, someone else's, cuz - y not, you'll never see/meet/know any of them again.

Irresponsibility due to anonymity.
WEAK!!!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
What would Kwai Chang Caine do? Sounds ridiculous, but that's a question I would ask when confronted by aggressive stupidity on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Bull#hit, they exist beyond the borders of the Republic of California, chief.
Anyone, could make a case a certain sect, of certain vehicle drivers are more prone to act omnipotent/disrespectful to others, but that's really a waste of energy and thought.

Stereotypes are unfortunate and sometimes seem unavoidable, but if you step away and evaluate what YOU are doing or could do, to make the situation a non-issue, maybe there would be less hostility on our roads.

A lot of people think all truck drives are slow/discourteous/reckless/drug addicts/felons/etc.

FACT: NTSB, reports that off ALL accidents involving a Commercial Motor Vehicle and a non CMV (motorcycle/car/pickup truck/SUV), in roughly 74% of the cases, the CMV operator is NOT in ANY WAY responsible for the collision.

"Well pops, if that's remotely true, why do I see all these ads for 'hurt in an accident with a cmv?
call I-H8B-IGT-RUKS (I H8 BIG TRUKS)' " cuz MONEY, SON!

Don't take my word for it, look it up...https://www.ntsb.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Given the right set of circumstances, regardless of background/education/experience/ethnicity/beliefs/etc. WE ALL CAN BE THE ONE who is at fault.

Best to focus our efforts instead on insuring we are NOT, regardless of circumstance. Hard for a lot of us to do, with radios, navigation, people in the car talking/engaging in conversation, cell phone, internet, text messages, etc.

OHHHH and let's not forget the NICE people who miss their exit, take the wrong exit, exit from 5 lanes over, etc. there's so much "B.S. thought" (non-thought) around, of entitlement, and making your problem, someone else's, cuz - y not, you'll never see/meet/know any of them again.

Irresponsibility due to anonymity.
WEAK!!!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
No argument on that data BUT neglecting the driver's emotion (which is one of the causes) to a Legal activity such as lane-splitting (AB51) driver's are still pissed off that motorcyclist can execute such maneuvers that only exist in PRK.

http://www.wsj.com/video/the-motorcycle-lane-split-divide/75BF2AD7-2A98-4414-99ED-B8365F807FA6.html

Update: Texas has SB-288

Spectrum: Partisan Bill (Democrat 1-0)
Action: 2017-01-30 - Referred to Transportation
Pending: Senate Transportation Committee

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
No argument on that data BUT neglecting the driver's emotion (which is one of the causes) to a Legal activity such as lane-splitting (AB51) driver's are still pissed off that motorcyclist can execute such maneuvers that only exist in PRK.

The Motorcycle Lane-Split Divide

Update: Texas has SB-288

Spectrum: Partisan Bill (Democrat 1-0)
Action: 2017-01-30 - Referred to Transportation
Pending: Senate Transportation Committee
We're on the same page, it's why I mentioned leave the policing and enforcement to those officially on duty. If the Tesla Prick had instead got the motorcyclist's plate number, and description, then phoned 911 he may have been educated (if he accurately recounted the incident to the operator) that there was no crime committed, and he can go about being a douche in other ways. What he did, was criminal, there is no logical reason to assume (on his part) that anything positive could come from his actions. He endangered so many more people, than the ZERO the motorcyclist did. We can only control what we do, not what any other azzhat feels we should or should not do, while riding, as long as we conform to the rule of law.

We as motorcyclists must not fall into the trap of helping to escalate the trouble.
As riders we should expect people are out to kill us, whether they intend to or not, and treat EVERY motorist as an imminent threat.

D-bag in Tesla obviously does not know the law, and feels it's his right to enforce, or reprimand. Ignorantly he is engaging in reckless driving, bordering on felonious activity (attempted vehicular homicide, for example).
Even if lane sharing were NOT legal, wherever azzez be azzez, it's up to us to be hyper-aware of every action we take, and the possible reactions of such from less informed motorists. We will always lose in the BS bumper car game these goons try to engage us in, better to either disappear either by right wrist, (not the best idea, but if u feel your out options with an overly aggressive goon...) or simply allowing them ahead and quickly exiting, and call the police.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts