BMW S1000RR Forum banner
161 - 180 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where do you live that it's that expensive? Has to be a decent size city so you should have more than one option.
I went to one dealer and the service was crap. Went to another and the service was excellent.
I do agree that bmw service should be at a high standard.
Jacksonville Florida, one dealer… let’s say over the years, 9 of them I have been fine. But when your told this is what your are buying and then you are told be happy for what you get. Screw it I’ll drive the extra distance and go to the next city south.. Daytona. At least there I get proper attention and at least the attempt to correct various issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone have any really good pictures of the wrist pen or maybe a video of showing it in rotation at where it may cause the possible rotation issue?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Quick update: BMW finally authorized a new motor replacement, new tires, and some new wiring. I should hear this afternoon an ETA on the part. Motorrad initially wanted my dealer to do a full motor breakdown and analysis, but my SA told them it would be a total waste of time and money, and it would just piss off one of their best customers. They relented and authorized. Maybe the Dead Parrot sketch video convinced them.

Now the wait for the parts, repair, updates and then break-in.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Glad you're getting taken care of @Tom Bernhardt that's great news. New bike for you lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
Motorrad initially wanted my dealer to do a full motor breakdown and analysis, but my SA told them it would be a total waste of time and money, and it would just piss off one of their best customers. They relented and authorized.
Lucky you had an advocate - not all owners with a flash will be that lucky

Hopefully enough complaints will motivate BMW to update the motor (and other things). As much as I like this bike they went cheap in many ways. I'm seriously considering a 2019 ZX-10R built by Superbikes Unlimited. Kawasaki engines have never let me down

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Quick update: BMW finally authorized a new motor replacement, new tires, and some new wiring. I should hear this afternoon an ETA on the part. Motorrad initially wanted my dealer to do a full motor breakdown and analysis, but my SA told them it would be a total waste of time and money, and it would just piss off one of their best customers. They relented and authorized. Maybe the Dead Parrot sketch video convinced them.

Nice, congrats! I think it was threatening them with the Dreaded "Comfy Chair" was what did it... 🤣

I'd still love to see a forensic root-cause teardown and analysis of what happened. Barring that, a detailed explanation from Blown Motoren Werkes would do.

·
Registered
139 Posts

I'm glad this worked out for you and rightly so but couldn't you have asked for a new bike by getting BMW to buyback and purchase a new bike this would seem faster than waiting for a new engine to come in.

·
8,592 Posts
Hopefully enough complaints will motivate BMW to update the motor (and other things). As much as I like this bike they went cheap in many ways. I'm seriously considering a 2019 ZX-10R built by Superbikes Unlimited. Kawasaki engines have never let me down
Not many people would have positive things to say about SBU builds. They botched few builds I personally was part of.

19 ZX is on a outdated platform. ZX is heavy & wide. Requires a certain riding style. It may work for you. FIM WC endurance race would you tell you which engines are reliable.
If you want a well balanced bike check out GSXR 19+. PM if interested there is a mint fully set up 2020 GSXR with spare wheels & everything.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Lucky you had an advocate - not all owners with a flash will be that lucky

Do you believe you would get better treatment in such a situation at a Kawasaki dealer? Really? I've owned Kawasakis and Hondas besides BMWs. BMW has the best service, by far.

BMW never brought up the issue of the flash. While I gave it to them with the stock tune, the full diagnostics they capture in the case of a blown engine will detect whether it had ever been flashed. But it was also clear that the flash played no role in the failure, so it was irrelevant. I had copious evidence. I was prepared, though I never needed to play several cards I had in my back pocket.

As for having an advocate, more owners would have one if they treated people well. It starts with never being a jerk, seeing issues from the other's perspective, understanding how systems work, and work them to your goal within their constraints. But this is a general life lesson, not just getting good service.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
I'm glad this worked out for you and rightly so but couldn't you have asked for a new bike by getting BMW to buyback and purchase a new bike this would seem faster than waiting for a new engine to come in.
I was considering this. But all new RRs in my area are long presold. Regardless, I wanted to first see what they would do about the repair. If the motor takes too long to get in - I should know soon - I will investigate that path, but wouldn't be optimistic about negotiating something I would like.

I will have a bike with a new motor, new Q4 tires, new wiring, and anything else the dealer deems was damaged by oil.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I will have a bike with a new motor, new Q4 tires, new wiring, and anything else the dealer deems was damaged by oil.
They gonna a buy you a new set of shorts to replace the ones that were destroyed when the motor let go like that and dumped oil all over your rear tire? 🤣

161 - 180 of 279 Posts