BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When changing brake pads this weekend, I like to really clean the calipers. In doing so, I accidentally pushed out one of the pistons...and leaked a boatload of fluid out. It took a while, but I bled them enough so that there was no air and the brake handle was good. I will also tie down the brake overnight to get out air, and since I have the GS911, why not? However, I have no fear of my brakes working just fine as is....
keep us updated on whether or not you get any more air out with GS911

·
Registered
15 Posts
Issues with rear brake

I kept having the rear brake pedal go soft after trying traditional bleed several times.
I got the GS-911 and did an ABS bleed on my 2015 that I bought used. It worked like a champ and has now been about a month with no issues.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
When changing brake pads this weekend, I like to really clean the calipers. In doing so, I accidentally pushed out one of the pistons...and leaked a boatload of fluid out. It took a while, but I bled them enough so that there was no air and the brake handle was good. I will also tie down the brake overnight to get out air, and since I have the GS911, why not? However, I have no fear of my brakes working just fine as is....
I do not think you will have a problem with traditional procedure because the air is not near ABS pump. You will be fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
does anyone know if the Bren handheld can do ABS pump stuff like the GS911? I'd rather buy one than both.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I talked to Bren, hoping it could do GS911 stuff, and was told that it can't.

Are there any alternatives I should consider, or just drop the 400 on a GS911?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I would offer to rent you mine if we were close enough, but being on the east coast makes that some what prohibitive.

·
Vendor
2,216 Posts
I talked to Bren, hoping it could do GS911 stuff, and was told that it can't.

Are there any alternatives I should consider, or just drop the 400 on a GS911?
The GS911 is by far the best cost effective tool you can buy for the BMW S1000RR/S1000R and even other BMW motorcycles.

Being able to RESET adaptations, oil change / service dates, resolve ECU date and time input, Look at and reset engine light codes..

The GS911 tool can do 10 BMW bikes. Share the cost with a friend. $25 a VIN will pay for itself. Put an ad on craigslist or offer up in your area and offer your GS911 to reset codes, or input oil service dates. Never know, you might meet a new friend in that process and get more value out of it.

Watch eBay for these GS911's also. They come up out there for as little as $250 with only 2 VIN used on the Wifi version.

Get the USB CABLE red box version at $300. The cable version is really the best to use. You cannot do all the reset functions on WiFi. You have to use the cable to reset the ECU time and date. The WiFi can only read codes and reset the service codes. So at $300 on the cable version and you still get 10 VIN on it, its a bargain.

·
Vendor
2,216 Posts
I kept having the rear brake pedal go soft after trying traditional bleed several times.
I got the GS-911 and did an ABS bleed on my 2015 that I bought used. It worked like a champ and has now been about a month with no issues.
The air gets trapped in the ABS pump. Air bubbles stick to surfaces. I am sure you all have seen carbonated water bubbles stick to the side of your glass of soda. That is why you tap the brake lines, tap the calipers, to get the air to rise to the highest point. The purpose of the ABS cycle on bleeding is to force flow in the ABS pump to release those bubbles attached to the side of the ports and lines. It moves the bubbles further down the line toward the bleeders. This is not a one cycle does it perfect, its more like cycle the pump, bleed, go ride the bike, come back and do it again. Getting air out of a system that has been changed out for new calipers, new lines, new master cylinders can require alot of bleeding 2-3 times to get the best performance back.

The GS911 USB cable version is only $300. The cable version works better overall because only some functions work with the WiFi part of the software, while all things it can do work with the USB cable part of the software.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts