BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never dealt with an ABS bike before. Is there anything special to bleeding the brakes? My brake fluid reservoir was broken, so there's quite a bit of air in the lines.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Some will say traditional method is fine. Others say you must get a GS911 to run the pumps.

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
Try the traditional way, if you get a hard lever try it on the street to make sure it's ok. If you have any doubts then either let the dealer do it or get a GS911 to exercise the ABS pump while bleeding.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Try the traditional way, if you get a hard lever try it on the street to make sure it's ok. If you have any doubts then either let the dealer do it or get a GS911 to exercise the ABS pump while bleeding.
When I changed my brake pump I used traditional way but it was impossible to bleed. Do as skapan says above.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
procedure might be the same but master is different - mine's a Nissin rather than a Brembo, although I'm tempted to swap the 19RCS over from another bike... would that work well?

·
Registered
144 Posts
i've never dealt with an abs bike before. Is there anything special to bleeding the brakes? My brake fluid reservoir was broken, so there's quite a bit of air in the lines.
i have used the traditional method on both my 20 and my 18..... It works fine you just use more fluid since the pump also contains fluid.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
i have used the traditional method on both my 20 and my 18..... It works fine you just use more fluid since the pump also contains fluid.
I just replaced pretty much everything, so started with empty mc, lines, calipers, etc. I pushed through a bottle(only took 1/3 bottle to fill the lines) using the 'traditional method and was bubble free. Doing the GS911 ABS pump gizmo, purged plenty of bubbles, so I would say that if you have potentially introduced air into your system doing this is Probably essential, if you are just replacing fluid then probably not.

Personally, if i am going to the trouble of replacing my fluid(especially brake) I want to replace all of it.

just my 2c worth

·
Registered
935 Posts
if you're just replacing old fluid, do it the traditional way, starting with brake master.
if you've replaced lines then use a GS911 or an OBDLink to cycle the ABS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
since the bike was on it's side for a while with a broken fluid reservoir, there's quite a bit of air in the system (and zero pressure on the front brake).

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have replaced the masters on both bikes as well with brembo units so that doesn't matter. I also track both bikes and the only breaking issue I have had is the 20rr pads get cooked relatively fast.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm planning on installing 19RCS on 2020 model when it arrives. Does GS911 support K67? How do you guys bleed ABS without going to a dealer?

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have never used any GS911 on my 2016 or 2020. I changed the break fluid to DOT 600 so i empty the hole system and refiled it. I have never hade any problem. to get the last air out of the system pull the break in all the way than zip-tie it in that position. Leave it for at least 12 hours after that bleed once the master cylinder pump (open and shut) then cut the zip-tie, pump up the master break cylinder and you are free of air. ( the air will raise from the pressure over night to the highest point and will wait for you to set it free :) ).

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
But did you lay your bike down on it's side for a while like the OP? No, didn't think so. He might need more than a simple bleed and a zip tie to get his "breaks" working.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if he did empty the system before refilling it, he'd be in a similar situation I guess.

It certainly wouldn't be good if I got the normal section bled but not the ABS, went and engaged ABS, and had the brakes go away from air in the ABS system getting into the lines. I don't know if that's what would happen though.

·
Registered
753 Posts
When changing brake pads this weekend, I like to really clean the calipers. In doing so, I accidentally pushed out one of the pistons...and leaked a boatload of fluid out. It took a while, but I bled them enough so that there was no air and the brake handle was good. I will also tie down the brake overnight to get out air, and since I have the GS911, why not? However, I have no fear of my brakes working just fine as is....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts