BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2018 S1000RR that after only 5,500km and just over 1 year old has black paint fading on both sides of the frame where my knees rest while in the normal riding position. The only thing to ever touch these spots is my denim draggin jeans and leather pants. After reporting this to BMW they have knocked it back saying that it's normal wear and tear and that it will not be repaired under warranty. At only 5,500km and just over 1 year old, this is definitely not normal wear and tear! I can only imagine how the frame would look in these two spots after 10,000, 15,000, 20,000km and so on.

I'm just wondering, has anyone else had the same or similar issue? I called and asked 2 dealerships and they both said that they hadn't heard of this before.

Photos attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don’t think you’ve got much of a chance. All materials will polish out like that when rubbed together in the process of riding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t think you’ve got much of a chance. All materials will polish out like that when rubbed together in the process of riding.
After only 5,500km? That doesn't seem right at all. And why only my bike and not others. It just doesn'

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After only 5,500km? That doesn't seem right at all. And why only my bike and not others. It just doesn'
After only 5,500km? That doesn't seem right at all. And why only my bike and not others. It just doesn't seem right at all. Paint on a frame or any surface shouldn't come off that quickly and easily.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’ll have a look at mine when I’m in garage next.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'll look at mine with 17,000 miles. I recall a slight fade but nothing you can't expect to see on a machine that gets incredibly hot in that region. You should just buy frame covers and hide it if it bothers you. Sounds like you're kind of fueling your own fight here as that discoloration is very minimal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have you thought of buying ilmberger Carbon Fiber frame covers not that you will repair the issue you have but at least you can preserve the frame from getting worse I have had a set of those covers and they added a unique look to the bike plus they were quite beneficial with blocking engine heat from being felt by my lower body

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check out these pictures to get an idea of what they looked like installed Ilmberger has the best quality Carbon Fiber as far as finish & fit
8C118A31-6809-4507-95B3-083CD989619E.jpeg
F40886F0-DD36-4C38-B30D-37D0921B9801.jpeg
160EB5EA-EF8A-49AD-88A7-1F7D317063AF.jpeg
8C118A31-6809-4507-95B3-083CD989619E.jpeg
F40886F0-DD36-4C38-B30D-37D0921B9801.jpeg
160EB5EA-EF8A-49AD-88A7-1F7D317063AF.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, I've also got an 18'. Had it for a year and put over 11000 hard km on it. No sign of paint wearing on the frame...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I've also got an 18'. Had it for a year and put over 11000 hard km on it. No sign of paint wearing on the frame...
Hey Jesse,
I’m quite tall, so my knees rest on the frame. My mate has the same bike but is a lot shorter, so his knees don’t come in contact with the frame. How tall are you? Do your knees rest on the frame in the normal riding position?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe after a very long time, but it’s definitely not acceptable after only 5,000km. The bike has barely been ridden. Denim is a soft material and it’s just resting on the frame. It’s not like I’m rubbing it back with a coarse or hard material.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll look at mine with 17,000 miles. I recall a slight fade but nothing you can't expect to see on a machine that gets incredibly hot in that region. You should just buy frame covers and hide it if it bothers you. Sounds like you're kind of fueling your own fight here as that discoloration is very minimal.
It’s very minimal right now at very minimal kilometres, but over time and more kilometres this is only going to get worse and worse, to the point where it’ll just be silver with no black paint left in these spots. Then there’ll be nothing minimal about it. I won’t put frame covers as I don’t like them and it’s about BMW fixing the defect rather than me covering their defect. I will keep this their problem rather than make it mine. 2 bike shops have confirmed that there is minimal paint on the frame and the paint can almost be seen through where there are silver speckles coming through from underneath. BMW has done a poor job of painting these frames as confirmed by paint and bike professionals.

·
Registered
265 Posts
How do you come into contact with the frame here? Wouldn't your legs be fouling on the top of the side fairing?

·
Registered
769 Posts
That's pretty much normal wear for a tall guy. I put frame covers on mine.

HOWEVER, I do have a solution for you. Get a can of Gloss black spray paint, and a SPONGE. Spray the paint on the SPONGE, the dab it onto the frame. go slow and a little at a time until you get the desired effect. Made mine look brand new and it's also what I've done on my old track bike when it got roughed up in the kitty litter....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts