BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2016 s1000rr that sits for 5.5 months due to winter here. I take the bike to the nearest BMW dealer that is 400 miles away to keep up the warranty. This time I did not travel there this fall for an oil change. The oil presently in it has 3,000 miles on it. It is due for a oil change April 16,2018. I have read that the motor should NOT sit in old oil due to corrosive elements in the oil, yet I will likely not use the bike till April 16,2018 when I go south to the BMW dealer. What oil would be good enough to let the motor bathe in fresh oil? Should the filter be changed as the bike will only be started to warm up the fresh oil which will immediately be drained for the BMW oil the dealership uses ( with a new filter). Any oil ( non synthetic or synthetic)?Your advice before I go and buy or use any automotive oil. Thanks

·
Administrator
6,702 Posts
I would not mess things up with a different oil. Either run it it 'til it's good and hot and park it until spring OR dump the oil and replace it with the same stuff. How many miles are on the oil that's in it now?

·
Registered
766 Posts
If it's oil that is due for a change, change it now. If it's new oil, just run you bike to full temp every 2-3 weeks and you are good to use it until it's due for a change. Do not put dino oil in it. I always change the filter, whether it needs it or not.

Mine is due for a change. I will replace it now, and ride it next spring - and run it up to temp during the winter.

As important is the Gas...make sure you deal with that correctly also!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I may not have a popular opinion on this but I'll shoot anyways...

Put the bike up washed with proper tire pressure, fresh gas, clean and lubed chain and a full charge. Change oil within the first couple rides of next year. Enjoy :smile2:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Trickle charger...

Put the bike up washed with proper tire pressure, fresh gas, clean and lubed chain and a full charge. Change oil within the first couple rides of next year. Enjoy :smile2:

·
Registered
201 Posts
The factory interval is 6,000 miles or 12 months. Either change it now with good oil, or leave it with the old oil. Don't bother putting temporary oil in, that's just a waste of time, money and effort.

If you change it now, it will last the year or 6000 miles. Which puts you right into cold season again.
If you leave it, 3000 miles is not enough to need an oil change unless those were extremely hard miles, Oil lasts a surprisingly long time.

Instead of spending money on oil, buy a battery tender.
Spend the effort on starting and running the engine for 5 minutes once a month
Use fuel stabilizer in a full tank of gas.

Rest easy that you're doing good by your bike.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Dump the oil and put in distilled water and some dish washing liquid. Let it sit all winter. It will be fresh and clean and will smell nice when its time to ride. I call it the winter detox.
Lemon pledge should be used in place of dish washing liquid, even noob's know that.

Sent by Shoephone using Tapatoe

·
Registered
63 Posts

I usually store the bike with about half liter to liter of fuel in it instead of full tank.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I usually store the bike with about half liter to liter of fuel in it instead of full tank.
Full tank, always. Prevents moisture buildup.

I live in Michigan. We get mean, long winters. I also work in the industry. We do workshops for customers on this fundamental practice for winter storage. This is widely agreed upon and is industry standard where it gets cold for long periods of time. FYI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Full tank, always. Prevents moisture buildup.

I live in Michigan. We get mean, long winters. I also work in the industry. We do workshops for customers on this fundamental practice for winter storage. This is widely agreed upon and is industry standard where it gets cold for long periods of time. FYI.
Michigan man as well, and I also agree with the notion of filling the tank all the way up with premium gas to prevent moisture buildup/rust. To preserve the gas over the Michigan winter it is recommended to use sta-bil. I prefer seafoam for the extra cleaning properties it claims to have for the injectors and gas. Let it run through the system, not just the gas tank!

Also, like mentioned earlier, it doesn't make sense to use a temporary oil for just the winter. Change it now if you feel you need to (filter included) and then put her to sleep for the cold season. Tell the dealer you don't need the oil changed when you take her into service in the spring!

Wash/wax the bike, lube the chain, and cover all metal areas in a light film of silicone spray or wd-40 to prevent corrosion. Lastly, don't forget to prop the tires up to avoid flat spots from the cold ground, use a battery tender (25 bucks for a good Deltran one) as well as plug areas where critters might make nest for the winter. My buddies bike was the residency of a family of mice last winter. They camped out right in his air filter bay...ate just about every damn wire there was in his bike!

or put your bike in the living room under a blanket like I do:wink2:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Michigan man as well, and I also agree with the notion of filling the tank all the way up with premium gas to prevent moisture buildup/rust. To preserve the gas over the Michigan winter it is recommended to use sta-bil. I prefer seafoam for the extra cleaning properties it claims to have for the injectors and gas. Let it run through the system, not just the gas tank!

Also, like mentioned earlier, it doesn't make sense to use a temporary oil for just the winter. Change it now if you feel you need to (filter included) and then put her to sleep for the cold season. Tell the dealer you don't need the oil changed when you take her into service in the spring!

Wash/wax the bike, lube the chain, and cover all metal areas in a light film of silicone spray or wd-40 to prevent corrosion. Lastly, don't forget to prop the tires up to avoid flat spots from the cold ground, use a battery tender (25 bucks for a good Deltran one) as well as plug areas where critters might make nest for the winter. My buddies bike was the residency of a family of mice last winter. They camped out right in his air filter bay...ate just about every damn wire there was in his bike!

or put your bike in the living room under a blanket like I do:wink2:
Do you feed it zingerman's too? Bikes get hungry too ya'know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you feed it zingerman's too? Bikes get hungry too ya'know.
I would, but at $15 bucks a sandwich I would go broke! Plus, that money goes towards the hungry parking meter cops here in A2:crying:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts