BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had the '16 RR for 1.5 years and couldn't be happier. Best bike I've owned of that there's no doubt.
A recent issue has me concerned. I live in a very hot tropical country. A positive is the year-round riding and great northern roads. Now as you're probably aware, this bike runs hot My previous bike, a GSXR1000 L3 got up to about 87 degrees Celcius/188 degrees Fahrenheit during fast highway speeds. The BMW RR is at about 97 degrees C/206 degrees F at similar speeds.
The issue appears when I have to either filter through traffic at low speeds or stopped at lights.
Often the red warning light will flick on then disappears once I increase speed. This Friday I got caught in the rush hour. The temperature reached 129 degrees C/264 degrees F and the bike shut down. I pushed it to a side road and waited till the temp went down to under 100 degrees C. The bike wouldn't start and a tow truck had to be called. Obviously the battery was dead.
Could any here give any recommendations to make the bike run cooler (admittedly I may have neglected to check the coolant level recently) and which type of battery is recommended for high temperature operation.
I borrowed a battery from the dealer and refilled the coolant and now it's running fine but still at relatively high temperatures. 94 degrees C/201 degrees F at high speed.
I'll take the bike in on a day for a more thorough check- starter motor, rectifier etc.
Any advice from the more technically-minded (everyone!) here? Thanks

·
Administrator
6,636 Posts
To be honest man. You can't do much about the bike in traffic. I have never had mine do it. I have ridden in 45 degrees a bit and as long as the fan is coming on and going off things should be fine. But I have never seen one hit 130. That's crazy. A lot of people have tried engine ice and different types of coolant. I don't really think it makes a major difference. But I have not tried. The OEM battery is fine. If it's not starting due to heat then that's not the battery. A low/dead battery is a separate issue to the heat problem and should be addressed on its own to eliminate it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think if you check your coolant level every day (distilled water only ) you will be okay. As posted going slow with no air flow it's trouble. I suspect you had a failing battery and the heat of the last situation finished off your battery. They don't take high heat well. I also recommend you use 60% water and 40% coolant mix for your conditions. This will help a little. The trade off is the boiling temperature of the mix is lowered 6 degF with the 40% coolant mix.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer is testing the battery and say they will replace as it's showing signs of not holding a charge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts