BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Bike gives off strong fuel smell

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Rykkerr 
#1 ·
Installed an Austin Racing gp3 v3 full on my 15 & it gives off a strong odor of gas. Just wondering if thats normal with the full system? cant find the right answers on the forums

#9 ·
It's running too rich. If you haven't had it tuned you need to, with a full system. How's your gas mileage been?
Yep get it tuned. A must with a full system.
sorry forgot to add that. i have a pcv and had it dyno tuned, air/fuel is all looking good just wondering if it was normal or not. heres a pic for the fella that asked

Attachments

#17 ·
I filled it up 2 days ago. I generally ride at least 4-5miles before I park it. A tank of gas will last me about 2 days before I fill back up since I commute on it.

2015? How many miles/kms? Check fuel pump seal and fuel line connector o-rings. Can check injector o-rings. Check around the bike to see if you see anything leaking or dripping. Or any dirt build up from where fuel as been leaking and it has dried up.
Just rolled 2750 miles. No leaks on the garage floor. I think it may be the vent, but the smell is so powerful. I can smell it while riding, too.

#18 ·
I also just got a real strong fuel smell near the top of the tank today, like near the triple tree. It's a 2011 with 14k miles. Nothing new other than an oil change lately.

I immediately thought of the fuel pump flange recall and lifted the tank off. I ran the bike and searched the line from the tank to the injectors. No visible signs or smell during operation. I put the tank back on and got the smell again in a few minutes. It's the first time it's been really hot here (93 deg). The tank is only about 3/4 full.

I'm out of ideas for now and hope someone can shed some light on this. Got California Superbike School in a couple of weeks and don't need any mechanical issues now!

#20 ·
It would really only sound different depending on location and size of the leak. If it were anywhere where it would affect the way it "rides" it would most likely be quite audible. Exhaust systems are very effective at lowering decibels, so any real volume of pressure not going through them tends to be quite pronounced.

If its a tiny leak, it may be small enough for you to smell the exhaust, but not notice the sound, especially if you have gotten used to it. But this wouldn't be noticeable by the way it "rides" or more accurately, runs.

Do you hear any hissing sounds? Can you take off fairings and slide a piece of paper around exhaust in as many locations as you can? Listen on the piece of paper for air hitting it, or even if you can feel it. Look at the paper afterwards, is it discolored at all?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.