BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Im 30 and currently living in Seattle working as an engineer. I been out of the scene for about 3 years. I grew up racing motorcycles as a teenager and wrecked a few Hondas and KTMs throughout the years. I started on a Triumph Daytona 675, then went to ZX-6R and lastly owned a 2013 Panigale 1199 till 2017 when I moved from IL to WA. I have been eager to buy another bike. I have about 20k saved for next bike. I am trying to decide between 2015/2016 R or a new s1000RR. I did test drive a 2020 RR early last year and enjoyed the 30 + miles on it. I know this question has been asked a 1000 times but do you think I would be happier getting a new RR or a used 1199 R? I would love to do some track days a few times a year but it would mainly be used for weekend riding. I apologize if this is not the right section for this post. Thanks everyone.

·
5,084 Posts
New RR no question.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The RR will certainly bring the most visceral experience. It will reward you on track days.

For ultimate versatility including long tours, consider the other S1000 sibling: the S1000XR.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
. . . a new RR or a used 1199 R?
The vast majority here will say new RR. This is an RR board after all.

These are totally different bikes.

I have both an RR and Ducatis. I enjoy both. If I could keep only one, it would be a Ducati. But this is completely dependent on what you like.

You have ridden both. What do you like/dislike with respect to each?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get the RR there great and mines been very reliable and I push it hard and harder.
Ducati is beautiful, my only worry would be reliability and the single swingarm kinda gets in my head especially when I’m all out! Don’t know why but it just enough to bother me when I see a empty space beside the wheel.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you can afford new RR, get new RR. Its much nicer bike overall. I would get it only for TFT dash already.

·
Registered
18 Posts
...do you think I would be happier getting a new RR or a used 1199 R?
Unless you really want a twin, I think you can get a used Panigale V4S for relatively the same price as a new 2020 S1000RR.
1) It all depends which bike speaks to you more loudly. 2) Do you want new vs used?

IMHO, if it was New vs New, I believe the S1000RR offers better value and versatility than the Pani.
But then there's the looks and you're back to "1)" above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1000RR or the new M (just a few dollars more...) and then come out to The Ridge, in Shelton. You will remember how much you love going fast on motorcycles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts