BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
In the market and been doing my own research but I wanna see what you guys think as well. What year S1000RR would you purchase and why from 2010 to current year.
That's a great question, because there are distinctive differences between years. Having owned a '13 RR, a '14 HP4, a '15 RR and now a '17 RR, I might be able to help a little (though no experience with models before '13...though I believe the '12 had a recall for an engine bearing issue).

Until DDC came along in '14, via the HP4, the suspension on this bike was "analog", and fairly harsh compared to DDC models. In fact the difference is pretty astonishing. If I had a choice I would buy a '15 or later model. Also, you get cruise control with the '15 and later years, an accessory that at first seemed silly on a sport bike, but in hindsight...it's brilliant.

The HP4 ushered in the "new era" for the RR, but the '15 and later models (notwithstanding the carbon fiber on the HP4) are all around better, in my opinion.

The '17 (my current model) had to comply with Euro 4 emission requirements, and BMW made some changes to the engine to adapt, resulting a a very smooth engine...better than any I'd experienced before. This bike will be a keeper for me...it's got it all, and it rides beautifully.

If I had to choose...'17 or '18 would do it for me. Hope that helps. I'm sure others have better perspectives, but this is mine, for what it's worth.

Good luck.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It would be helpful if you shared more information about your specific situation as every person is different, in general If budget is not a decision making factor the 2020 model. If you can’t wait till it comes out then the 2019 model.

If the budget is factored in your decision and you can not wait a few more months then look for the used market in your area to get the idea of pricing as every region is different, I have owned two 2013s, a 2016 and the last one 2017. The latest was my most favorite, smooth with all the bells and whistles. I would avoid the first generation (2010-2011) and first year of second generation (2012) ... any other year with the right price tag should serve you well.

Lastly, if budget is factored and you are not in a hurry to buy, I’d suggest waiting a few more months for the new one to come out, naturally it would force the prices on the used ones to drop.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
My shop's service manager and I have talked about his many times. If you can wait, and have the money, get the 2020. Like most have said already. If not, I believe, as does my service manager friend, that the '15-'16 are the better used bike value. He is also a track instructor for a large school and prefers the '15-'16 range over later models on the track. It was the model designed to out perform the HP4, has better graphics design/color options (my subjective opinion!) and will give you more bike for your money (if that's a concern) since they will cost less than the '17-'18 models.

I use to sell these and have ridden the Euro 4 models back-to-back with my '15. Same power, same performance as the '15-'16 range, Shift Assist Pro was smoother, but it all seemed just too refined. Less engine noise, less exhaust note. I'm no expert, and maybe someone will chime in with info, but it seems to me that the Euro 4 standard has dulled the RR character slightly. Not the performance, mind you.....just the character.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for that good info!! Good to know since u have own diff year models so you def have the experience with the years u have

In the market and been doing my own research but I wanna see what you guys think as well. What year S1000RR would you purchase and why from 2010 to current year.
That's a great question, because there are distinctive differences between years. Having owned a '13 RR, a '14 HP4, a '15 RR and now a '17 RR, I might be able to help a little (though no experience with models before '13...though I believe the '12 had a recall for an engine bearing issue).

Until DDC came along in '14, via the HP4, the suspension on this bike was "analog", and fairly harsh compared to DDC models. In fact the difference is pretty astonishing. If I had a choice I would buy a '15 or later model. Also, you get cruise control with the '15 and later years, an accessory that at first seemed silly on a sport bike, but in hindsight...it's brilliant.

The HP4 ushered in the "new era" for the RR, but the '15 and later models (notwithstanding the carbon fiber on the HP4) are all around better, in my opinion.

The '17 (my current model) had to comply with Euro 4 emission requirements, and BMW made some changes to the engine to adapt, resulting a a very smooth engine...better than any I'd experienced before. This bike will be a keeper for me...it's got it all, and it rides beautifully.

If I had to choose...'17 or '18 would do it for me. Hope that helps. I'm sure others have better perspectives, but this is mine, for what it's worth.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the awesome info!!! That is def going to help me out a lot on this search. From what I am hearing tho it sounds like if I get a used 16' I am going to be in good hands. But, that new 2020 with the M package is looking fire too!!!!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Thank you for that good info!! Good to know since u have own diff year models so you def have the experience with the years u have
Best of luck with your search. There is a noticeable improvement in engine smoothness in the '17 over the '15 that I owned...and it's not just a subjective perception on my part (same would apply to '17 over the '16, due to Euro 4 changes to engine made in '17 by BMW to comply). The tech who serviced both my '15 and my '17 commented several times on the improvement. So if you find a '16 and a '17 with not much price differential...I'd opt for the '17, all things being equal (well-maintained, not dropped, not owned by a squid, etc.).

·
Vendor
5,040 Posts
For what it's worth, I believe that in 2015-2016 bikes shipped without ABS pro (could be added by dealer), whereas 2017-2019 has it in premium package. I could be wrong on the years....
The ABS PRO option was introduced / talked about late 15 in to 16. What BMW did was release the option as an upgrade. Then in Mid 2016, June/July .. the ABS Module changed and ABS PRO was part of most releases in late 2016. Then in 2017 it was standard option equipment, and has continued into 2019 now. I have read that 2021 Euro ABS requirements are 40 degrees lean angle fully working ABS all motorcycles being built, all mode options supported.

As to the year models in operation. I have a 2015 brought new in March. Put 24000 miles on it. Track, Street, Canyons, very well tested. Excellent bike over all my GSXR's I had. Then I have the 2018 and have 3000 miles in it now. Completely different electronics from the 15, and refined engine/transmission. BMW does not brag much about how they improve and push forward the limits of use in a production stock build motorcycle. With that said, the 17/18/19 K46 is an excellent refined product. If you can get one for a blow out price, get one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've had a '12 until it got 17k miles. Didn't give me any trouble.
Early 2012 models had a recall that demanded a con rod replacement done at the US dealers. Some ppl stayed away from those. There is certain VIN that indicates the start of the non con rod recall bikes.
Mine had the recall and didn't give me any trouble.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Are the Gen1 2012 a good buy? Looking to build a track dedicated bike.

Gen2 bikes are (12-14). I own a 14 since practically new. Now a street legal track bike. Extensive list of mods to make it lighter and breathe better. Pretty much everything except engine work, auto-blip, and triple clamps

some say only buy the gen3 bikes or even better gen4.
With the right mods, and right rider, it is very very capable. Better than most of us here. Apples to oranges, but more flickable than any litre bike I've tried. Brakes as good as any bike out there. Keeps up with my buddies’ new RSV4 and v4S.
For the right price and mods, you will have something as good as you will need for the track. You will not miss the newer gen bikes. Actually the only thing i miss is an autoblipper (downshifts). The rest, as far as track purposes, is to me, marginally better. I love my bike and dont see a need to upgrade for the track.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had a '12 until it got 17k miles. Didn't give me any trouble.
Early 2012 models had a recall that demanded a con rod replacement done at the US dealers. Some ppl stayed away from those. There is certain VIN that indicates the start of the non con rod recall bikes.
Mine had the recall and didn't give me any trouble.
I have hard many good things about my local dealer, so that helps me be reassured. I guess I will be on the hunt for a 2012-2014 S1000RR for my next track build :)

·
Premium Member
January 2022 BOTM Winner
718 Posts
Is there really a 'bad' liter bike to dedicate to the track? I would like to think that if you're comparing one liter bike to another, you've done enough track days to know the differences and at least ask better questions to know which would be better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts