BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According CH these are the top 5 Full-Face helmets for 2019.
Which one do you like the most?

Despite the price, I still really like my agv pista gp

·
4,646 Posts
Pista rules, not sure why he said it's not good for the street. I put over 25k street miles on mine and it's the best helmet. I don't ride in the rain or commute. I keep vents always open. Only annoying part is fogging, have to use a pinlock.

Something odd about shark helmet, it does not fit as good as the Pista on my oval shaped head. Few riders that crashed in it on the track did not feel safe (one had skull damage, many posts about it on track forums). Surprised SR2 helmet was not included in review.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had 4 Arai Quantum/Corsairs....fit well, ventilate, and have the reputation. I've only low-sided once, so can't attest to protection other than what is written.

That said, when I needed a new helmet 2 months ago, I picked up an HJC RPHA 11 Pro for $360 on an Ebay sale. Fits just like the Arai, for me....intermediate oval, if anything tending a little towards the round shape. Vents well, looks and feels good, nice materials, has a large eyeport, and very easy to change visor....always hated jacking with the Arai visors. I'm glad I didn't have to spend $700+. It gets very good reviews, especially for the price.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I use a Shoei X-14 exclusively as it fits my head well with some padding adjustments and it can use a Transitions shield. I would post a video of Marquez crashing at a billion miles an hour and not having a concussion but I'm lazy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
At the price you can pick up a new, discounted, old stock Pista GP R, you cannot go wrong if it fits well ...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good choice Benny.

Also, the Shark Winter Test Race R Pro GP looks like a TREAT. Just behind on the riders their respective teams due to team line-ups changing...

·
Registered
164 Posts
X-14 for sure. Excellent price point for quality. It will be my next helmet as well unless shoei comes out with something new in the next year or so.

I would like to try the AGV (I'm surprised the bell helmets were included in this??) and the bell carbon helmet (cant remember the name) at some point. But for value, safety, adjust-ability, transitions shield (as already mentioned), relatively little noise (still use earplugs), excellent air flow (and ability to adjust it as mentioned!), you can't beat the price of the X-14. Perhaps most importantly with the ability to change out the padding and make it fully custom fit (enhancing safety factor) - it's insanely comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Had a Shoei XR1100 as my first helmet. Then a Arai Corsair V is my current. My new one is on order. Its a X-Lite Ultra Carbon X-803.
I know absolutely nothing about X-Lite helmets. They may be fantastic. I had to "Google" them. First link was this:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/x-lite-x-803-ultra-carbon-stoner-replica-helmet

I love Stoner too. Wish he was riding MotoGP but I won't buy a helmet because of the name on it. :laugh: Any tests showing X-Lite are superior helmets? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
I like my X-14.

My old RF-1200 required me to wear a skull cap to raise the brow enough to see while tucked. Also ripped off the air vent covers to flow more air. It was a good helmet though, no doubt. Landed on my head after high side and no concussion... it broke my collarbone... but that would happen with any helmet... now I have a air vest to provide that protection.

X-14 is better in many ways, but I wouldn’t hesitate to race another rf-1200 in the future as a backup

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
I like my X-14.

My old RF-1200 required me to wear a skull cap to raise the brow enough to see while tucked. Also ripped off the air vent covers to flow more air. It was a good helmet though, no doubt. Landed on my head after high side and no concussion... it broke my collarbone... but that would happen with any helmet... now I have a air vest to provide that protection.

X-14 is better in many ways, but I wouldn’t hesitate to race another rf-1200 in the future as a backup
Which vest did you go with? Thinking of going with a new A* Tech Air suit but undecided. Are you getting the plate removed? Or waiting? For those with old eyes...

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Which vest did you go with? Thinking of going with a new A* Tech Air suit but undecided. Are you getting the plate removed? Or waiting? For those with old eyes...

I went with the Helite GP vest, pricey but fantastic protection...

I’m keeping the plate in, I have another follow up with the doc scheduled 3/6/19 after my first track weekend. If it bothers me during the weekend I may get it removed but it doesn’t bother me while in full gear sitting on the bike... so I prefer to keep it

If I wasn’t flexible from yoga I may have suffered serious injury, so I am now a life long yogi :)

·
4,646 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pista/Corsa all the way! Waiting for the Rossi "Back To Misano" helmet, hopefully Champions Helmets gets them soon, I am ready to give them my money! ha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts