BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for best lap timer (with display) and data logger. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Most people seem to use the AIM Solo for a simple GPS lap timer. They just came out with a new generation Solo 2. There is also an AIM Solo 2 DL (datalogger) which gives data off your ECU. For full datalogger info, the BMW HP 2D datalogger is the ultimate, but it does not have a lap time display.

AiM Solo 2/Solo 2 DL

BMW Motorrad Norge

If you are a techie, you will love the BMW HP datalogger. If you want very simple operation and less features, the AIM. Now there are other brands out there but these seem to stand out the most in their respective range of application.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Dylan pretty well covered it.

Others are using Track Addict or Harry's lap timer with their phone.
@simes007us used to have a great picture of what it looked like in this thread. Pic is gone the the external gps info should be useful.

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/track-time/230609-track-addict-dual-xp160-gps.html

And then there is thePZRacing electronic trigger to use the OEM lap timer.

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/vendor-s-deals-specials/160090-pzracing-b-tronic-plug-play-gps-lap-timer-oem-display.html

Not suggesting the latter 2 are the best... just giving you more options. I use the AIM Solo DL in conjuction with a Smarty Cam. Also an AIM product.

·
Registered
683 Posts
This is track addict and a Dual XP160 GPS Beacon.

It's awesome. Read about it here: TrackAddict for iOS & Android by HP Tuners

Does everything I could want in a GPS and gives instant feedback when u get off the bike so you don't have to whip out your laptop.
You NEED to get the gps beacon. Your phones gps only pulses once a second for a gps signal. The beacon does it 10 times a second. Way more accurate.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I used the PZ-Btronic (V2), Harry's lap timer and I2M chrome plus (sold via Alpha). I tried to recall what I paid for them.

PZ kit $300 bucks?

A little clunky and does have errors now and then. Just triggers your lap timer button as if you manually did it. Beats manual when working. No data other than your existing dash readout

Harry's lap timer $10 bucks + spare phone ?

I set it up on a mount with a spare phone and it is surprisingly good. Gives you GPS speeds, lap comparisons, best laps, sectors etc.
It was not 100% intuitive out of the box but I was very happy with it for club track days. If you set it up perfectly it will give you lean angles as well but I never did. (used a Gopro on the dash and just looked at corners after the day ended). You can use the data as an overlay with Gopro as well for certain models. For the money, this is very good if you have a spare phone hanging around or want to risk you day phone...

It will drain your battery like nothing else however so make sure you get a charger setup for power. There's a few ways to easily do that no the RR.

I2M Chrome Plus $ 1,750 bucks?

This is very good however... out of the box from Alpha it was not updated in any way. I had to get firmware and software updates from I2M to get the functionality to work properly with my S1000RR 2015. The english update site (for me) was not up to date. Some data points worked (Lambda, RPM, gear, lean angles etc) but traction control intervention level and other things didn't work. Post updates from the italian page and I was 100% fine. Oh, and its not plug and play for the 2015. There was a jumper required but those instructions were clear enough that I could do it... so a monkey with a wrench could achieve it.

After all updated the information is very good. I use it to race now and whilst it didn't make me faster it certainly tells me where I'm slow ! Actually what helps is dialing in the traction control and looking at throttle inputs, brake pressure, exact track lines that work, don't work. For me the "don't work" seems to be more frequent.

Downside is the setup is simply tough. If you were doing it on your own it would be a struggle. I was lucky to have a pit buddy to give me the 'once over' and from there I was set. The manual is good enough for a fire starter. The hardest part was not having the track registered so to register a new track you over-write an existing track. The manual seems to have been made by several Italians drunk on grappa one evening. Its not easy to follow in English.

Best for the money? 100% Harry's lap timer. Unless you really need the data its the pick by far (if you add a $100 spare phone and mount).

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts