BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago I moved from Brisbane up into the mountains and thought that I would be in Bike heaven.
I discovered to my frustration though that a lot of the interesting roads turned to a gravel surface so I sold the old busa for a Vitara 4x4, thinking that at 60 I could probably escape into old-rider obscurity and become one of those "I used to ride a ..." guys that come up to you in the street. Anyway I couldn't get bikes out of my mind and began feeling like somehow I was incomplete.

I had always had my eye on these RRs as I looked for an upgrade and quite frankly they were the only other bike I liked aside from my big 1300R, but I thought they would be too sportbike for me. I have always ridden sport-tourers, Busas, ZZR11s, Z1R-II. Now that's going back in time lol. What a surprise I got with the RR, it's actually not bad on a long ride, sure my knees are pinned to my chest, but I feel like I'm sitting pretty upright and I'm not looking down over the front wheel, which I hate! It's a great bike for a 6' bloke.

I'm not at ease with a mod that's on it though. I bought a 2017 and it has SS headers and an Akro GP can, way too noisy for me I am afraid. The Guy included all the factory pipework in the sale so now I'm trying to figure out what to do. Ideally I'd like to replace the factory headers and leave the GP can but I have no experience with these mods.
Opinions anyone?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Congrats and welcome! Didn't know they really had mountains in AU, but then being from CO, anything under 10,000ft is a hill to us, so... :)

That's a tough one. Wear earplugs? I'd say replace the can with something else, maybe even a stock muffler, but not knowing the location and angle of the end of the midpipe it's hard to tell. My 2015 has the stock headers with a Yosh slip-on but then the 2015's didn't have that giant and hideous catbox underneath. Definitely louder, but not obnoxious to me, some may think otherwise. Check with akra, they may have a "db-killer" to install. If not, you may need to buy a new mid-pipe and can. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but plenty of others here can be as some of them have whipped up some interesting exhaust combinations.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a tough one. Wear earplugs? I'd say replace the can with something else
That's what I'm thinking now. There has to be a can that is quieter. The factory one has an inside diameter of 50mm (large pipe, And the new headers have a diameter of 60mm so the old can wont slip on.

Something like this perhaps? If it's quieter.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
That's what I'm thinking now. There has to be a can that is quieter. The factory one has an inside diameter of 50mm (large pipe, And the new headers have a diameter of 60mm so the old can wont slip on.

Something like this perhaps? If it's quieter.

View attachment 217008
Well, from one Frank to another, despite what some eurosnobs might say, you can't go wrong with a Yosh! I have an R55-LE slip-on, and while it's definitely a bunch louder than stock, it sounds great. But, your problem is that you have headers, so, it might be a tough thing to find something. I'd contact akra about a baffle, or, barring that, maybe a new can. Anything akra is gonna be expensive though.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Welcome Frank. as has been suggested, I'd look at finding a different end can that fits to the SS headers you have, with baffle. maybe something like the Akra end can that was on the HP4's ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a 2019 (US Model) which I purchased a Scorpion slip on for. With the insert it was only slightly louder than stock but a way better sound and it was at least a third of the weight of the factory can. Plus it doesn't hang from the rear peg. I think it was under $500 new which was a great deal. I was happy with it for what it was. .

·
Registered
416 Posts
On the 2017, it's the cat that makes the exhaust quiet. Changing the slip on will have minimal effect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the 2017, it's the cat that makes the exhaust quiet. Changing the slip on will have minimal effect.
Yes well I talked with the mechanics at the Underwood teammoto BMW and felt confident they could look after my bike so I'm going to have them reinstall the factory pipes and retune it to factory specs. I could do it myself but not the retune and frankly I couldn't be bothered. Only 450 they recon. I don't have a problem with a little extra weight the cats will add, might actually be a help on some of the back roads out here.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes well I talked with the mechanics at the Underwood teammoto BMW and felt confident they could look after my bike so I'm going to have them reinstall the factory pipes and retune it to factory specs. I could do it myself but not the retune and frankly I couldn't be bothered. Only 450 they recon. I don't have a problem with a little extra weight the cats will add, might actually be a help on some of the back roads out here.
I expect that it would be easy to sell the headers and recoup your expense. I had the Akrapovic headers and a shorty can on my 2017. Only for two days. My neighbors had recently got a baby and I felt terrible each time I started the bike. On the road, though... man, it was like you brought the whole race with you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the road, though... man, it was like you brought the whole race with you.
2 days lol lol, One ride was about all it took to convince me. Even with the best earplugs I couldn't think straight and I kept pulling in the clutch to coast past the churches. They'll go up on gum tree as soon I get them back home. Might keep the little can for a while though...

·
Registered
416 Posts
2 days lol lol, One ride was about all it took to convince me. Even with the best earplugs I couldn't think straight and I kept pulling in the clutch to coast past the churches. They'll go up on gum tree as soon I get them back home. Might keep the little can for a while though...
My son's bedroom is above the garage. When I took the bike out on the driveway and started it, the pictures were falling off the walls in his room.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Man, that sounds like a lot of work...and expense just to lower the noise. Me, I'd see if akra had something that would work. Considering what you'll spend in shop labor hours at $90/hr+, even an akra can would be cheaper...AND you're free of the dreaded and blazing hot catbox and it's bulk and weight. The headers aren't really responsible for the added noise, it's the can. I'd see if you can just replace that.

Best of luck whichever way you go!

·
Registered
416 Posts
While I generally don't like loud pipes on other people's bikes, having the full Akrapovic system on made me feel special. On the country roads, car drivers were hearing me even when I was catching up with them from behind, and were letting me pass. "Loud pipes save lives" mantra is not completely false, as much as I hate to admit it. It gets tiresome quickly, though. It would have been so nice to have a quiet, city mode.

I also like the intake noise. On the 2017, with the quiet exhaust, you could hear the air being sucked in and sounding like a turbine. Quite pleasant. Reminded me a bit of my 675 Triple.

If I could have a wish, it would be a turbine-like intake noise, and switchable quiet/loud exhaust. But, it is not really a high priority. That's why on my 2020, I am not planning any changes to the exhaust. The exhaust system is proven to be very effective, and the reduced noise (especially when I ride in the neighborhood or on the heavily policed streets), and environmental friendliness are pluses for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts