BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Do you have an ECU flash or tune on your US 2020+?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my bike after some recall software updates at the dealership. I'm trying to get my flash updated via email now but it'll be Monday or Tuesday before the bike is reflashed. It's been a while since I've ridden so I just went out for a ride on the stock tune and garaged it again after less than 10 minutes. Who in the world enjoys riding this thing stock?? 2nd and 3rd gear are pretty much worthless until you're 80+ mph. I don't have any issue exceeding this speed but dang I'd like to have fun below 80 also. BMW (and by extension CA) really borked this thing for us in the states.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just picked up my bike after some recall software updates at the dealership. I'm trying to get my flash updated via email now but it'll be Monday or Tuesday before the bike is reflashed. It's been a while since I've ridden so I just went out for a ride on the stock tune and garaged it again after less than 10 minutes. Who in the world enjoys riding this thing stock?? 2nd and 3rd gear are pretty much worthless until you're 80+ mph. I don't have any issue exceeding this speed but dang I'd like to have fun below 80 also. BMW (and by extension CA) really borked this thing for us in the states.
My cousin informed me that there was two reasons for the restrictions.
#1 was for road safety and drivability.
#2 was a combination of EPA/ environmental & noise.

Being my cousin works for BMW and had my bike built and ordered for me my software package is different and the first time the dealer update my bike it actually would not start. It took BMW sending a special software package through the network they use to manage and update all the bikes. I have none of the issues everyone speaks of. Got the chance to ride a 2022 s1000rr M package bike and the difference to me was shocking. My friend wants my cousin to get him a bike now. Unfortunately, that’s not happening.
BMW is the only manufacturer that supports independent road racers through their factory TT race support group. BMW goes as far as tuning and supporting each bike & team no matter the size. It would be great if the public could pay and receive all of the equipment and additional support. Maybe someday.
What tuners want for modification in my mind because of the difference is worth it. Just seems to me BMW is missing a chance to pick up an additional revenue stream. Just have owners sign a release. I think everyone would do it.
What did they update? Did they give you any sort of information on the changes?
I know about all the ABS and traction control updates back at the end of last year. I’m curious what they’ve updated now.
It’s stupid how the tuners like BT sell something on the point that you can put the stock flash back on the bike and take it to the dealer, but if they update the ECU or anything. Placing your tune back on the bike will not work. Seems just another way you have to return and get another tune. There is no way of knowing what your really getting.
Who tuned your motorcycle?
If I where you I would check out BMW_388 post, seems this guy has a handle on the software and what needs to be done to make the changes needed.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
299 Posts
I have the BMW TOM flash. BT dyno charts show it makes 180hp at 11K RPM which is about the same as the original HP4. Much better than stock (US) and warranty maintained. And please don't tell me dealers don't care since the two that I have gone to near me said warranty is in question with a non-BMW tune and if BMW doesn't care why do they try to make the ECU unflashable. One of the best things about this bike is the 3 year (extendable) warranty.

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
728 Posts
Mine has not been flash. Keep debating in my head whether to do it or not. Some posts around here seem to complain about issues with BT's tune not to mention his customer service. Also, not crazy about sending my ecu out to get it flashed only to have to send it out again the next time the bike goes in for servicing (still under warranty). It has the torque optimization flash from BMW.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Still running the factory tune on mine with the Akra headers. I don't see much of a problem with this combo. Maybe I'm just a pansy riding on the street. Main reason I got this bike is because I do all my track time with CSS. Being they use the same bike I now own makes getting up to speed on the track so much easier. I guess there's something to it as I didn't get a chance to do much riding due to the stupid weather prior to going to VIR. Yet, I managed to shave off .3 of a sec off my all time fastest lap time there. And my coach says there's more in the tank for me to get my times down further.

The only difference between their bikes and mine is that the CSS bikes have the torque optimized factory flash. Oh and the headers. I'm debating on whether I'll have that done on my bike or not.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Still completely stock on 2022, however i really want the flash but am waiting to install headers before doing so. On the street riding the bike stock is fine, not sure how people claim its timid enough to lose interest riding after a few minutes. However as I learned on the track, where second and third gear are primarily used its downright awful. Its almost unsafe in my opinion because the power just is not there where the rest of the pack is WOT; riding at 10-14k rpm at all times for a track day is not for most.

·
Registered
788 Posts
No matter who you choose to flash your bike if you get a software update then you have to flash again. Is the flash worth it? Let’s just say you don’t know what your really missing till you have it done. Can you ride without it? Of course you can. Why? beats me but to each their own. Just make sure you have the greatest and latest software update then flash. I didn’t update my software for the past 2 years and only did to get the brake recall done ( mine was not leaking) and to extended my factory warranty. I do not plan to upgrade my software for a very long time unless something really great happens with a software update which I doubt will happen. And is the $100 or whatever to reflash going to hurt you that much? You just spent over $20k on a bike I think you can afford a $100 every now and then to reflash it. You can just tell the dealer anytime it’s in for service that you do not want any software updates done and they won’t. Then you don’t have to pay again to reflash it. Pretty simple. For those who don’t wanna flash it no one is forcing you. Just know you are missing out on a lot but hey whatever floats your boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21’ S1000RR Hockenheim Silver
34 Posts
I’m still stock. I‘ll likely remain that way because when I bought my 2021, last December, I had purchased the extended warranty for 7 years. I figure I’ll just work on rider mods and lightweight 💪

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What did they update? Did they give you any sort of information on the changes?

Who tuned your motorcycle?
I haven't let my dealership update my bike's software until just this past week, and the ABS software was the main reason for my allowing them to update. There were several updates though I didn't write them all down, the Kombi I think it was written as - my mechanic said this was the display.

I have a Brentuning flash. I don't know all the ins and outs and whether the original BT flash could be written on my bike's current software version but I'll play it safe and potentially pay the $100 or $150 for the flash update. BMW_388 definitely does know his stuff and I wonder if he'd have updated the flash for my software at no cost..

·
Registered
788 Posts
I haven't let my dealership update my bike's software until just this past week, and the ABS software was the main reason for my allowing them to update. There were several updates though I didn't write them all down, the Kombi I think it was written as - my mechanic said this was the display.

I have a Brentuning flash. I don't know all the ins and outs and whether the original BT flash could be written on my bike's current software version but I'll play it safe and potentially pay the $100 or $150 for the flash update. BMW_388 definitely does know his stuff and I wonder if he'd have updated the flash for my software at no cost..
If software was updated you will need a new file from bren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine has not been flash. Keep debating in my head whether to do it or not. Some posts around here seem to complain about issues with BT's tune not to mention his customer service. Also, not crazy about sending my ecu out to get it flashed only to have to send it out again the next time the bike goes in for servicing (still under warranty). It has the torque optimization flash from BMW.
I haven't had issues with BT tune or customer service - both were great with my original tune. The tune update I've started to attempt in the last ~28 hours (only a handful of 'working hours') is still in progress. FYI BT's tune has an option for a handheld tuner that you flash with, so the only downtime is when you're flashing your bike's tune. Something like 15 minutes once you have the flash file from BT.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
299 Posts
I’m still stock. I‘ll likely remain that way because when I bought my 2021, last December, I had purchased the extended warranty for 7 years. I figure I’ll just work on rider mods and lightweight 💪
You can ask your dealer about the BMW Torque Optimization Map. It is better than original for street riding for sure. BMW offers a 90 free trial period (verify with your dealer) and you can have bike returned to original if you want all for no cost. It has no affect on your warranty (again verify with your dealer that nothing has changed).

My experience is the flat spot from 6 to 8K is completely gone and the power bump moves from 9K to 8K so all around a better road experience. It has peak HP of 180 (per a BT dyno on this site) at 12.3K rpm which is about what the old HP4 had just at higher RPM so what's not to like :)

FYI - The link on this forum to Brentune's dyno showing original, TOM, and BT dynos is here:
Note that full power is somewhat limited in 2nd gear but the 5th gear dyno shows full power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still completely stock on 2022, however i really want the flash but am waiting to install headers before doing so. On the street riding the bike stock is fine, not sure how people claim its timid enough to lose interest riding after a few minutes. However as I learned on the track, where second and third gear are primarily used its downright awful. Its almost unsafe in my opinion because the power just is not there where the rest of the pack is WOT; riding at 10-14k rpm at all times for a track day is not for most.
I like to wheelie 3rd gear 50-80mph in there, and those are completely impossible until ~75mph when the stock tune starts pulling like a banshee. For that loss of midrange power, street riding just isn't worth it. I would guess track days would also suffer too if you have to drop below ~60mph on any tight turns, when 2nd gear is castrated. I'm with you then, not every dropping below about 9k just doesn't seem feasible on the track.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can ask your dealer about the BMW Torque Optimization Map. It is better than original for street riding for sure. BMW offers a 90 free trial period (verify with your dealer) and you can have bike returned to original if you want all for no cost. It has no affect on your warranty (again verify with your dealer that nothing has changed).

My experience is the flat spot from 6 to 8K is completely gone and the power bump moves from 9K to 8K so all around a better road experience. It has peak HP of 180 (per a BT dyno on this site) at 11.5K rpm which is about what the old HP4 had just at higher RPM so what's not to like :)

FYI - The link on this forum to Brentune's dyno showing original, TOM, and BT dynos is here:
Note that full power is somewhat limited in 2nd gear but the 5th gear dyno shows full power.
That's right, I had forgotten about that. Redirect to Bren's thread here: BMW "Torque Optimization" Map For The 2020 BMW S1000RR Tested

Peak HP takes a massive hit on that torque optimized map unfortunately. Thanks for suggesting this, but I'll definitely get the BT flash back in there. I can't drop that much power at this point.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
299 Posts
FYI I get power wheelies in 2nd and 3rd with the TOM using basic Dynamic (though I run a Race mode now). Not like the BT people get but its inhibited by wheelie control.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
299 Posts

·
Registered
21’ S1000RR Hockenheim Silver
34 Posts

My experience is the flat spot from 6 to 8K is completely gone and the power bump moves from 9K to 8K so all around a better road experience. It has peak HP of 180 (per a BT dyno on this site) at 12.3K rpm which is about what the old HP4 had just at higher RPM so what's not to like :)

You rock! Thank you

1 - 20 of 32 Posts