BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Arai Corsair X vs. Defiant

15K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Erion929 
#1 ·
I have Arai Defiant. As I am looking to get a new helmet, the Corsair X is on my short list. I would like to ask fellow members who have a first hand experience with both models how they compare aerodynamically, on S1000RR.

Emphasis on aerodynamically and S1000RR.

I have watched the review and read user comments, and I am aware of the marketing claims, shield differences, etc. What I am really interested is if there is a noticeable difference in drag and turbulence between the two models while riding on S1000RR.

Thanks,
-Stan

#6 ·
I'm in between m and S in Arai. I couldn't get the Small X on my head so had to go M, with thicker pads.

As far as aerodynamics, my carbon fiber AGV is better than the ARAI, but has less features.

#7 ·
I tried several of the higher end AGV helmets, and strangely, out of all, I liked best the more budget-friendly K5, which shape is I guess not much different than that of Corsa or Veloce. Saving a few bucks is not the main objective, but I wouldn't mind it if it is more aerodynamic than the Corsair X. It's hard to break away from Arai, though.

#8 ·
Maybe you should try the Shoei X-spirit 3 (or x-14). I hear a lot of good things, has many features and sure is more aerodynamic than the Arai.
I haven't own one, so I might be wrong. For me, i went from a Arai Corsair to a HJC RPHA11 and I have to say that I'm satified, better in features, aerodynamics, great buck for the money helmet but it just doesn't fit me like the Arai does.

#9 ·
I went from a Profile to the Corsair X, so not exactly the comparison you're looking for but pretty close. I'm assuming when you're talking about aerodynamics, you're talking about how stable it is and how susceptible to buffeting it is when you turn your head; the Corsair is a big improvement in both areas. With drag and the helmet wanting to get pulled off your head, that's gone with the helmet at normal angles.

The only real downside I can think of outside of the standard Arai idiosyncrasies is that it likes to be pretty far down to move a lot of air...but it's also a track/race focused helmet, so hard to fault it there. I think you're going to be happy with the improvement going to any of the more "race" focused helmets, just depends on fit and how much you buy into Arai's design philosophy.

#10 ·
FWIW:

I went from a Shoei (way way past its use-by-date) to the HJC RPHA11.

My bike has the Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen ~ so a little taller than stock.

I find the HJC great.
Even when my head's away from the windscreen looking at the scenery; the aerodynamics are stable and predictable (like a hot knife through butter).

#11 ·
Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming! I have experienced significant differences of how the same helmet performs on different bikes, that's why I am asking for a first hand experience with a particular helmet on S1000RR. Also, many reviews have to be taken within a context: for example, if the RPHA 11 came from Arai, would you say it is better than the Corsair X?

My problem with the Defiant is that at high speeds it tends to press against my face so hard that it makes indentations on my forehead. There is also a bit of wobbling caused by turbulence. All Arai helmets, apart from vent configuration, look very similar to me in shape, thus my question on difference in aerodynamics.

#12 ·
I usually ride with an Arai Ducati Corse V2. It's a very nice helmet though I notice a lot of head-buffeting at speed, even with all vents closed. I've just ordered an AGV Corsa R and will report if that does a better job. The Arai is an excellent helmet with very good ergo and build quality. I like loud helmets too--hi viz is a good idea!

#14 ·
IMHO, I don't think you could compare the Defiant and the Corsair X in the same breath. I think the X will be lighter and, for sure louder. The fit is very different. Did you try a brand new X out of the box, or off the shelf at a shop? The fit is definitely tighter than my "street" Arai.
Jeff

#15 ·
IMHO, I don't think you could compare the Defiant and the Corsair X in the same breath. I think the X will be lighter and, for sure louder. The fit is very different. Did you try a brand new X out of the box, or off the shelf at a shop? The fit is definitely tighter than my "street" Arai.

Jeff

Agreed. My understanding is the shells are different even tho they are both for intermediate oval. This kinda sets the tone for rest of the helmet.

#20 ·
I just received my Shoei X-14. I gotta say, it is the best helmet I've had so far. It is very comfortable, vision is excellent, and at high speed it is very very stable. Much better than my older RX-7 and my newer Defiant. I cannot offer comparison to Corsair X.

#23 · (Edited)
I have both the Defiant and the Corsair X. For riding a s1krr, the Corsair is your best choice. Aside from the fact that the Defiant was made for upright riding, you kill the airflow into it when you are in a tuck. The Corsair X also feels more stable at high speed in 3/4 and full tuck while flowing more air.

I only ride the Defiant on my hypermotard now and run the Corsair X or my Vector 2 on my liter bikes.

And for the posts noting the difference in internal shape...they are identical. Both are Intermediate Oval internal head shape.

#24 ·
I have both the Defiant and the Corsair X. For riding a s1krr, the Corsair is your best choice. Aside from the fact that the Defiant was made for upright riding, you kill the airflow into it when you are in a tuck. The Corsair X also feels more stable at high speed in 3/4 and full tuck while flowing more air.

I only ride the Defiant on my hypermotard now and run the Corsair X or my Vector 2 on my liter bikes.

And for the posts noting the difference in internal shape...they are identical. Both are Intermediate Oval internal head shape.

Yep, Defiant/Corsair X are both Intermediate Oval...... the rounder interior shape is in the Quantum X.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.