BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Haha, wheelie control?
Negative, DTC/ABS off and slick mode. Clutch lever baby!

Are you saying you chop the throttle when the front rises?

Stay in it, and snick the next gear, without rolling off the throttle any, it'll settle faster, and you'll lose less momentum.
That's crazy, that front tire was hovering the entire time, great job. My bike is so damn tall that people that see me from the back think I'm doing a wheelie already. Imagine when it gets even taller during a wheelie, it's a little terrifying.

I'll be coming down to VMR often since it's really close. That's where I ran my 10.5 with TC and wheelie control kicking in. I'm definitely taking your advice and try shifting a little earlier, but my problem is that the quickshifter is acting up and sometimes it doesn't work; that's why you see me going all the way to 12k rpm when I intended to shift at 11.3 or so.

We'll see. 133 mph is great for this big bike, so I think a 10.399 is doable. Maybe next time I lower the air pressure and put the suspension in road mode to see how it reacts.

Check out this run in El Paso; I was losing so much power there that it wouldn't even wheelie, I could just disable the aids and not get into trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
That's crazy, that front tire was hovering the entire time, great job. My bike is so damn tall that people that see me from the back think I'm doing a wheelie already. Imagine when it gets even taller during a wheelie, it's a little terrifying.

I'll be coming down to VMR often since it's really close. That's where I ran my 10.5 with TC and wheelie control kicking in. I'm definitely taking your advice and try shifting a little earlier, but my problem is that the quickshifter is acting up and sometimes it doesn't work; that's why you see me going all the way to 12k rpm when I intended to shift at 11.3 or so.

We'll see. 133 mph is great for this big bike, so I think a 10.399 is doable.

133 mph, depending on the setup of the bike, and hitting the appropriate optimum shift points, could support a 10.2 or lower. The Kawasaki zx-11 in 1990 regularly was credited as 10.2 @ 136, and uncorrected times of 10.4 @ 133 in many magazines. Of course 144mph + should easily support mid nines, but there are SO MANY incremental things that all have to come together in unison for that to happen. There are many people that don't have an appreciation or clue for the myriad of things that are necessary to make a motorcycle, (any two wheeled motorcycle) run a low elapsed time, and the great majority of those things are completely under the rider's control, and are contingent on his/her having more than adequate competency in executing. Like turning consistent fast laps on a road course, those that make it look easy and effortless are usually lightning fastest but don't appear to be so if viewed lapping solo, or without much traffic encountered on a lap. By the same token those that appear to be quite animated with body position and with the bike trying so hard, are almost always........in the way.

I consider myself average at the dragstrip, on my best days, well below average and
"in the way" on my best days at trackdays. LOL

Oh and I didn't mean to shortshift to avoid the wheelie, no no no. If the rate of front end lift feels too fast, grab the next gear, without rolling off the throttle, rpm will drop, due to the ratio change, and the rate of lift will be delayed, (it will still be off the ground) unless you waited a smidge too long to select the next gear, and then you'll have to stab rear brake, or roll throttle, ORRR expect immense pain in your back from contact with track, pain in your chest from bike contacting you...... etc.

:surprise:

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Onboard video links...............
fingers crossed............
should be in order, last being the same as the first vid from Budds that @hxrly posted, and 3,4,5 should be @kruizen smokin' me.

Sorry not much to see other than tachometer, screen is dark, ran out of time to drill my clear screen that came with the bodywork and install other stuff too.
:frown2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0bkI4em80cXpPVEE/view?usp=sharing
was supposed to let off at eighth, but I had not ridden since mid November 2015!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0a2VPMEF2UFQwTms/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0MGVydWZCSGdiTzA/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0LWFsVnU1aVk1TkU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0dFIxaG1WNjNWTUE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0SUdoLUNoOTcwZm8/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: Files uploaded out of order, I have since corrected the sequence as it took place. Also I usually shift around 13500-600 from 2nd gear on, but never could find my focus. Fastest thing I've been at the controls of since mid November was my Minivan, and I drive an "18 wheeler" Tuesday - Saturday Governed to 62 mph, of which it takes about a mile to get up to that speed from 0 MPH. Be easy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Man you were short shifting the hell out of that bike! :grin2:

You actually have a bigger problem than me, because yours actually wheelies in 2nd gear. Do you have wheelie control? You can probably go a lot faster revving each gear all the way up. From the dyno results I've seen for the stock RR, it seems that the peak hp is at 13.2-13.3. In those extra 2k rpm is where the RR makes 40hp more than the XR, so I would definitely take advantage of it.

This weekend seems to be a bust, plus it's going to be cold, so I just plan to stay in and do homework.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Some pics that I was trying my best to show the physical differences from the mid pipe back between HP FULL RACE and Spark Full exhaust with sbk muffler, which is the bigger of their 2 offerings with full header. It is inconclusive, but it seems like the HP's about 1.5 to 2 inches longer, and the muffler chamber is close to 4 inches longer. Midpipe on Spark is about 2 inches longer than the HP.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

You actually have a bigger problem than me, because yours actually wheelies in 2nd gear. Do you have wheelie control? You can probably go a lot faster revving each gear all the way up. From the dyno results I've seen for the stock RR, it seems that the peak hp is at 13.2-13.3. In those extra 2k rpm is where the RR makes 40hp more than the XR, so I would definitely take advantage of it.

This weekend seems to be a bust, plus it's going to be cold, so I just plan to stay in and do homework.
I know, remember I was frustrated because I was thinking shift light, yet my friggin eyes saw the tach sweep by 12 o'clock, and conspired against my wishes, by getting my left foot to select NEXT.

Like I said, usually shift much higher 13600, just couldn't establish a rhythm, lots of stuff swirling in my brain. There's a few videos here from last year if you look through some of my posts. They're closer to your 60' times. There's a few from the time that the bike was dropping to limp mode, and I blasted out of the hole with a zx14 lowered in left lane. Got about half track, and it wouldn't Rev more than ~3800 rpm, close to 2-3 seconds elapsed before he blasts by the left side of the frame LOL.

Maybe week after next I'll be more rested, less anxiety, and can get close to or in the 9's as it should be, and stop dishonoring this awesome beast.
>:)

Cant be too upset about mid 10's and rarely going past 12250 until 4th gear.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

You actually have a bigger problem than me, because yours actually wheelies in 2nd gear. Do you have wheelie control?
Yes I have it, but I decided to disable all the nannies Sunday, as that is how I would run my 2014, had not tried that with this one yet. Last year I ran it in slick but with DTC ON, because it has more balls from 5,000 rpm up, than my 2014 did.

Oh, this bike WILL wheelie in 4th, with stock gearing on a level surface, just with going thru the gears hard. Not real high, maybe 2 inches. That run you posted, if you go frame by frame around the 1/8 mile mark, you'll see it start to rise off the pavement with authority, and I quell it back a smidge.
That was 3rd gear
:grin2:
Stock gearing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts