BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey bro I did just as you did, once I got it on I couldn't tell the where I should leave it, I turned it a little by little still a bunch of noise backed it out still noise, and then the unthinkable happen she JUMPED TIMING, what a pain in the ass it is taking everything out and getting down to the valve cover to get that off, after I got in and getting it back in time I was able to tighten the tensioner up easier because everything was exposed and I could see where it needed to be and turn it myself. All I have to say is GOOD LUCK! I wish I would have gotten the OEM replacement cap from the dealership!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
You mean the silver plug from BMW? How many miles/kms on your bike?
Yes, from BMW Motorrad.

I have about 45k Kilometers on my bike.

I just purchased Alpha racing manual tensioner. Hopefully, it will help.

My next purchase is the clutch basket assembly from Alpha racing

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes, from BMW Motorrad.

I have about 45k Kilometers on my bike.

I just purchased Alpha racing manual tensioner. Hopefully, it will help.

My next purchase is the clutch basket assembly from Alpha racing
Saw your post in the silver plug sticky, figured it'd be easier to respond here. The silver timing chain tensioner is designed to address timing chains that have stretched, the most common symptom of which is a rattle when starting the bike that lasts maybe one second at most.

The sound that you're describing, the clunking rattle that's most apparent with the clutch engaged (lever out) in neutral, usually has to do with wear in the clutch basket.

The two sounds/issues are completely separate and replacing the timing chain tensioner won't resolve an issue with the clutch basket.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Saw your post in the silver plug sticky, figured it'd be easier to respond here. The silver timing chain tensioner is designed to address timing chains that have stretched, the most common symptom of which is a rattle when starting the bike that lasts maybe one second at most.

The sound that you're describing, the clunking rattle that's most apparent with the clutch engaged (lever out) in neutral, usually has to do with wear in the clutch basket.

The two sounds/issues are completely separate and replacing the timing chain tensioner won't resolve an issue with the clutch basket.
I'll open my clutch side this winter to see what is going on.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts