BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
I personally think this is not the case. After riding all generations of the RR at the track with CSS and observing them holding up to days of being ridden hard by various riders, it made me confident enough to put down my own money to buy one.

Conversely, I'd have a hard time buying another Ducati after my own personal experiences along with seeing others having some of the same issues I had.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Those CSS bikes have live-in mechanics. I paid plenty of money for a bike that didn’t last 4 months before becoming inoperable. I have owned many bikes over the past 40 years and never been this disappointed because I’ve never been this screwed.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I used to be a factory rep that represented my company on lemon law vehicles. I had a pretty easy rule. I followed the law. I covered Maine to VA and every state was a bit different. If your vehicle met the requirements, I replaced it or refunded their money. Most took a replacement.

In TN:

Vehicles Covered

Any motor vehicle not including motorized bicycles, motor homes, recreational vehicles or off-road vehicles and vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVW.

Repair Interval and Coverage Period

4 repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service
Warranty period or 1 year.

“Motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle as defined in § 55-1-103, that is sold and subject to the registration and certificate of title provisions in chapters 1-6 of this title in this state, or subject to similar registration and certificate of title provisions in another state, and classified as a Class B vehicle according to § 55-4-111.

“Motor vehicle” includes a motorcycle, as defined in § 55-1-103, that is sold and subject to the registration and certificate of title provisions in chapters 1-6 of this title in this state, or subject to similar registration and certificate of title provisions in another state, and classified as a Class A vehicle according to § 55-4-111. “Motor vehicle” does not include motorized bicycles as defined in § 55-8-101, “motor homes” as defined in § 55-1-104, lawnmowers or garden tractors, recreational vehicles or off-road vehicles and vehicles over ten thousand pounds (10,000 lbs.) gross vehicle weight.

You have to write a demand letter and send it to BMW and cc the dealer.

Send it certified, someone will respond.

Reactions: Windyrun

·
Registered
383 Posts
Those CSS bikes have live-in mechanics. I paid plenty of money for a bike that didn’t last 4 months before becoming inoperable. I have owned many bikes over the past 40 years and never been this disappointed because I’ve never been this screwed.
Having done CSS for about 15 to 16 years and having been there when they first switched over to the RR, I've never seen a catastrophic failure of any of their fleet bikes. Nor have I seen Will or JJ work on any of the bikes due to some failure. They typically do tech inspections and any minor issues one may have with their bike. Mostly they assess and put back together any of the bikes that have been crashed. Been doing all 4 days at VIR with them for a few years and haven't seen them actively doing anything to any of the bikes.

It sucks you are having this issue. But you'd lose your mind if you went through what I went through with my Ducati 848; especially how Ducati handled the fuel tank issues.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I used to be a factory rep that represented my company on lemon law vehicles. I had a pretty easy rule. I followed the law. I covered Maine to VA and every state was a bit different. If your vehicle met the requirements, I replaced it or refunded their money. Most took a replacement.

In TN:

Vehicles Covered

Any motor vehicle not including motorized bicycles, motor homes, recreational vehicles or off-road vehicles and vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVW.

Repair Interval and Coverage Period

4 repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service
Warranty period or 1 year.

“Motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle as defined in § 55-1-103, that is sold and subject to the registration and certificate of title provisions in chapters 1-6 of this title in this state, or subject to similar registration and certificate of title provisions in another state, and classified as a Class B vehicle according to § 55-4-111.

“Motor vehicle” includes a motorcycle, as defined in § 55-1-103, that is sold and subject to the registration and certificate of title provisions in chapters 1-6 of this title in this state, or subject to similar registration and certificate of title provisions in another state, and classified as a Class A vehicle according to § 55-4-111. “Motor vehicle” does not include motorized bicycles as defined in § 55-8-101, “motor homes” as defined in § 55-1-104, lawnmowers or garden tractors, recreational vehicles or off-road vehicles and vehicles over ten thousand pounds (10,000 lbs.) gross vehicle weight.

You have to write a demand letter and send it to BMW and cc the dealer.

Send it certified, someone will respond.
Thank you for the excellent, informative post👍
I have sent an email to BMW requesting they repurchase the bike . They called to decline and told me they would be contacting the service dealership and get back to me. At that point I decided to seek legal representation. I hope to hear back this week. I think I will write a letter and send certified in addition-thanks again

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Have you not heard back from BMW? Been more then 5 days. Seems the dealer is jerking you around big time.
The dealership called and told me the part of they finally decided I need would be in this week. BMW called and told me they aren’t repurchasing the bike and would talk to d dealership and be back in touch with me. I am in the process of getting lawyer.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Please keep letting the forum know what happens. This sounds like an epic story and hoping for a good conclusion, but it looks questionable at this point in your adventure. I had an HP4 that burned a quart of oil every 700 miles, beginning right after the 600-mile service (one wonders...was there a connection?). BMW said bike was "within parameters". Really? Traded it after getting an incentive, and bought a '15 RR. Guess what? The HP4 was the only BMW of the 8 I've owned that burned oil. But BMW considers that "within spec"...self interest, perhaps.

Good luck, my friend. I hope you get what you should from BMW...like, the right thing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We’ll, after a month-and-a-half and still no bike. Either the shop has not received the part yet or it hasn’t fixed the issue. I wouldn’t know as the servicing dealership seems to think providing updates is too much to ask.
An attorney I contacted will take the case, but I haven’t committed to this yet. I am still trying to get BMW to stand by their product and just buy it back.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I got to say that is one awful dealership! Dealer I use for service answers every email in 30 min and every phone call and gives me updates. That dealer you have should not be able to represent the BMW brand!

·
Registered
653 Posts
We’ll, after a month-and-a-half and still no bike. Either the shop has not received the part yet or it hasn’t fixed the issue. I wouldn’t know as the servicing dealership seems to think providing updates is too much to ask.
An attorney I contacted will take the case, but I haven’t committed to this yet. I am still trying to get BMW to stand by their product and just buy it back.
I run a Porsche service department and both sympathize with your circumstance and marvel at your dealer's lack of business acumen. In my experience, while there are a few situations which can't be resolved at the dealership level, the VAST majority can be resolved with regular, effective communication between the dealer and the customer as well as the dealer and the manufacturer. I feel for you (not that that helps, I know).

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
822 Posts
I run a Porsche service department and both sympathize with your circumstance and marvel at your dealers lack of business acumen. In my experience, while there are a few situations which can't be resolved at the dealership level, the VAST majority can be resolved with regular, effective communication between the dealer and the customer as well as the dealer and the manufacturer. I feel for you (not that that helps, I know).
Although my career was not in the auto dealership business, I did have to do quite a bit of customer service. It is amazing how easy it is to keep a customer happy by just returning phone calls and keeping them up to date. The news I have to deliver might not be good, but they always appreciated the call backs.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
363 Posts
If its correct that the lemon law states over 30 days unusable product (bike) warrants replacement or buy back then what is BMW's response to that? Might be worth asking in a non-threatening way.

It might also be interesting to see what the trade in value would be for a new one-you know, since the bike is fine and maybe you would like one of the new '23s with the wings and all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
BMW simply declines to repurchase bike at this point, regardless of what their warranty states. I am still going after this.
Two dealerships have offered around $15K, one offered $14K.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts