BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my '22 RR is still at the BMW dealership with some mystery problem since 10/4. It gave me the "get to the BMW shop" warnings on 9/18, so I've been without it since then. I bought it in Alabama and live in Tennessee. I am most likely going to pursue remedy through the Lemon Law since neither the selling dealership or the servicing dealership is helping (hell, the shop where it's at hasn't even CALLED me once). At the last update ( couldn't stand waiting for the promised call from 2 weeks previous) I went into the shop on last Saturday morning and was told BMW had them order some sensor that would be in the same week and they would call when done. No call, no bike. According to the warranty which references different states Lemon Laws, unless I get the bike back before 30 days I am entitled to a replacement or refund.
Does anyone have any experience with this that can provide some advice? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Dont know all the laws but getting a BMW part in a week in todays times is just far fetched.
You are lucky to get parts from BMW to the USA in even 30 days. But also sounds like a crappy dealer not getting back to you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I thought the same about the part , which was actually the yaw rate sensor. Not feeling like that’s sitting on a shelf in the US. I don’t truly believe that they had it ordered at that point. I also don’t believe that it will solve the problem.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My 22 RR was in the shop for almost a month recently because of a part they needed to do the oil pump replacement under warranty. The part had to be ordered out of Germany because no one had it CONUS.

As to the lemon law, it does vary from state to state. I'd have to look at the terms of the warranty, but I doubt there would be anything BMW would put in there that would voluntarily put themselves into a disadvantage. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an out for them to use the supply chain issues.

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
822 Posts
Can't speak about TN, but in many states, lemon laws do not apply to motorcycles. I found out the hard way. Also, if memory serves me right, waiting for parts(at least in CO) does not constitute a reason to apply for lemon law.

My advice to you is to call a local lawyer (as I did) and become familiar with the lemon law in your state. They are often more than happy to speak with you for a few minutes at no cost. They will also give you a practical explanation(implementation)(specially the small print) of the law vs reciting the letter of the law. The lawyers here advised me to document everything (of course), and to write a letter directly to BMW regarding your experience (letter should be factual, and professional - not emotional). It involved contacting BMW headquarters and asking for the proper department and address. For the lemon law you will be dealing directly with BMW. The dealership might act as a go between, but you will just be adding a layer of bureaucracy. Here is the address I was given at the time:

BMW of North America, LLC
Customer Relations and Services Department
P.O. Box 1227
Westwood, NJ 07675

According to the lawyer here, just because there isn't a lemon law in CO does't mean BMW won't work with you. Based on his experience, BMW is among the better companies in terms of trying to keep the customer happy. Not sure if that is good news or bad news. :)

Good luck.

P.S. I am not too sure about this part, but once you submit for the lemon law, BMW might place a stop repair on your bike until the issue is resolved. Again, not very sure about it. Ask your lawyer when you speak with him.
P.S.S. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be a lawyer, nor do I want to be a lawyer (nothing against lawyers, I just don't have the patience). Just describing my experiences when I was considering the lemon law to my then troublesome RR. I ended up keeping it (bike was repaired to my satisfaction) and it has been solid ever since.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
360 Posts
Not sure this helps but this has been my experience with BMW. 1) had a problem with cruise control not working after initial service. Dealer that did the service couldn't fix it (was the dealer where I bought it). Took bike to another dealer and they diagnosed it and fixed it in under 30 minutes no charge. This was with an S1000R. Had a problem with the rear shock leaking on my '21 S1000RR and the dealer said the part is not in stock in US but ordered it. BMW overnighted the part to the dealer from Germany. Point is 1) if BMW can they will, in my experience, do what's needed to fix things, and 2) the dealer you work with matters big time.

·
Premium Member
January 2022 BOTM Winner
718 Posts
Lemon laws are regulated by states. Your states experiences is all that matters.

That being said, I highly recommend you talk to BMW Corporate. It sounds like your problem is the dealerships, and BMW Corporate is usually really good for aftermarket support, even long after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine was a lemon (2021 S1000RR M package) was referred to a lemon law attorney by a good friend. They asked me for all my dealer invoices, upon reviewing them I was told I had a strong case. 3 weeks later (after filing paperwork with BMW) BMW responded and agreed to repurchase the bike back. I will be dropping off the bike in a week or so (hence why all my parts are up for sale). Best advice I could give you is to reach out to a good lemon law attorney, have them look over your dealer invoices and give you their recommendations. You can message me directly if you have any questions about my specific case.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't speak about TN, but in many states, lemon laws do not apply to motorcycles. I found out the hard way. Also, if memory serves me right, waiting for parts(at least in CO) does not constitute a reason to apply for lemon law.

My advice to you is to call a local lawyer (as I did) and become familiar with the lemon law in your state. They are often more than happy to speak with you for a few minutes at no cost. They will also give you a practical explanation(implementation)(specially the small print) of the law vs reciting the letter of the law. The lawyers here advised me to document everything (of course), and to write a letter directly to BMW regarding your experience (letter should be factual, and professional - not emotional). It involved contacting BMW headquarters and asking for the proper department and address. For the lemon law you will be dealing directly with BMW. The dealership might act as a go between, but you will just be adding a layer of bureaucracy. Here is the address I was given at the time:

BMW of North America, LLC
Customer Relations and Services Department
P.O. Box 1227
Westwood, NJ 07675

According to the lawyer here, just because there isn't a lemon law in CO does't mean BMW won't work with you. Based on his experience, BMW is among the better companies in terms of trying to keep the customer happy. Not sure if that is good news or bad news. :)

Good luck.

P.S. I am not too sure about this part, but once you submit for the lemon law, BMW might place a stop repair on your bike until the issue is resolved. Again, not very sure about it. Ask your lawyer when you speak with him.
P.S.S. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be a lawyer, nor do I want to be a lawyer (nothing against lawyers, I just don't have the patience). Just describing my experiences when I was considering the lemon law to my then troublesome RR. I ended up keeping it (bike was repaired to my satisfaction) and it has been solid ever since.
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I have been documenting everything (not much interaction to document!) with dealership. I plan to reach out to BMW this week before contacting lawyer. We’ll see….

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure this helps but this has been my experience with BMW. 1) had a problem with cruise control not working after initial service. Dealer that did the service couldn't fix it (was the dealer where I bought it). Took bike to another dealer and they diagnosed it and fixed it in under 30 minutes no charge. This was with an S1000R. Had a problem with the rear shock leaking on my '21 S1000RR and the dealer said the part is not in stock in US but ordered it. BMW overnighted the part to the dealer from Germany. Point is 1) if BMW can they will, in my experience, do what's needed to fix things, and 2) the dealer you work with matters big time.
Thanks for posting. My other options are at least 3hrs drive, so I’m not really interested in hunting down a decent dealership. If my problem was just a single feature/mode not working I would take it for long rides to many dealerships. Unfortunately my bike has been completely shut down with a major system failure of a $22k, 5-month new vehicle with 2800 miles on it. I am viewing this issue as beyond the local dealership and hoping BMW will stand behind their product.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I wouldn’t wait too long, you’ll push past the limitations on what ever law is in your favor.

Years ago I had to get a buy back using the lemon law. The See Bee R 1000rr was burning oil and well it had to go.

Get it done sooner than later, the longer you procrastinate the more it works in BMWs favor.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Fingers crossed. I've always had good luck with Bloodworth (if that's where you are) on warranty claims so hopefully this works out. I think somewhat far from you, but FWIW the Pandora guys in Chattanooga have always been really helpful to me, and my buddy in Knoxville has good luck with Alcoa BMW.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bloodworth sold the dealership to Motos America. I reached out to GM today, we’ll see what happens…
I had my initial service done at Alcoa since I was out in Knoxville on a project. It’s 3+ hrs away.

·
Registered
22' S1000RR
34 Posts
Any update by chance??
Unfortunately my bike has been in the shop multiple times for the clutch case to be replaced.

Just want to see how everything went for you, or if you got your bike back 🙂

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any update by chance??
Unfortunately my bike has been in the shop multiple times for the clutch case to be replaced.

Just want to see how everything went for you, or if you got your bike back 🙂
Nope, bike is still in the shop-over a month now. Waiting on a sensor, but I don't believe this will solve the issue. Either way, have contacted a lawyer and will hear from them this week.
What's up with your clutch? How many miles did you have on it and did you just beat the sh&t out of it? I have never gone through a clutch on a road bike through thousands of miles and wheelies (0 burnouts)

·
Registered
22' S1000RR
34 Posts
Ah! I'm sorry to hear that.
Hopefully everything can get resolved sooner than later.

I have had the clutch casing replaced twice now.
Riding normally on the highway. Steady RPM's and trying to shift to 6th gear, it just snapped.

(My dealer mentioned to me they could see the RPM's at the time of failure to ensure coverage through warranty) which I thought was pretty crazy but neat too.

-1st time: 2600 miles
-2nd time: 5700 miles.

Current miles: 6200

Now it's in the shop for the Timing Chain recall..
During inspection, they found a coolant leak from the water pump.
So getting that fixed as well.

I know my situation isn't a "Lemon". Just was curious how it went for others as they have had my bike for 3 weeks now, without much communication besides me following up each week.
("Waiting on parts" but I'm patient).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ah! I'm sorry to hear that.
Hopefully everything can get resolved sooner than later.

I have had the clutch casing replaced twice now.
Riding normally on the highway. Steady RPM's and trying to shift to 6th gear, it just snapped.

(My dealer mentioned to me they could see the RPM's at the time of failure to ensure coverage through warranty) which I thought was pretty crazy but neat too.

-1st time: 2600 miles
-2nd time: 5700 miles.

Current miles: 6200

Now it's in the shop for the Timing Chain recall..
During inspection, they found a coolant leak from the water pump.
So getting that fixed as well.

I know my situation isn't a "Lemon". Just was curious how it went for others as they have had my bike for 3 weeks now, without much communication besides me following up each week.
("Waiting on parts" but I'm patient).
Got nothing on the clutch casing issue you have.

But I too had my bike in for the timing chain tensioner recall. And I also had the oil/water pump fail on me while I was there waiting to get my bike serviced for the recall. Saw a puddle of coolant on the ground under my bike and saw it had come from the weep hole in the oil pan. I had to wait about 3 weeks for mine to be done as they had to order a part from Germany. So your wait is not unusual due to the parts/supply chain issue.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts