BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a business trip coming up in May. It aligns with 3-day school schedule at Aragon circuit in Spain.

Anyone rode with this school? Any feedback?

Any suggestions for someone flying from the US? Airport, hotel, overall things to do as I'll have 3-4 days after track school to tour around.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I rode with them last year, at Montmelo. Very well organized, good instructors, highly recommended.
I will be at Aragon in May, so let me know if you need anything.

This is a very nice hotel in town, reasonably priced:
Parador de Alcañiz | Paradores de Turismo

Closest international airports are Madrid (400 km) and Barcelona (250 km).

·
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Lejos

Thanks for your help!

What's the best way to get from Barcalona to Aragon?

When in May are you going? I'm in the process of booking my business trip. I hope the plan works out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The easiest way would be to rent a car in Barcelona and drive to Alcañiz. Only school dates are May 4, 5, 6.

I just checked and the Advanced group has a waiting list, but the other two groups are available (all groups ride together, so it doesn't make a lot of difference the group you're in)

I will be in Alcañiz May 3rd in the afternoon.

·
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent you a PM, looks like we plan to go the same dates. :laugh:

·
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did 3 day school with race academy at Aragon, Spain. School was great, so many issues fixed in my riding. Being coached by Troy Corser was unreal. I also got to ride with him in the back of the car from Barcelona to the track. 3h of non-stop bike talk. Now, this is what I call a vacation. Aragon is amazing, I love that track, even though it's a b!tch to learn. 10 sec laptime difference between 1st and 3rd day.

Interesting how similar and different the race academy is compared to CSS. I'm tired, but will upload some pics later.

·
Vendor
3,226 Posts
I did 3 day school with race academy at Aragon, Spain. School was great, so many issues fixed in my riding. Being coached by Troy Corser was unreal. I also got to ride with him in the back of the car from Barcelona to the track. 3h of non-stop bike talk. Now, this is what I call a vacation. Aragon is amazing, I love that track, even though it's a b!tch to learn. 10 sec laptime difference between 1st and 3rd day.

Interesting how similar and different the race academy is compared to CSS. I'm tired, but will upload some pics later.
Oh man, I want to do this so bad. Super jelly. What group did you ride in?

·
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Oh man, I want to do this so bad. Super jelly. What group did you ride in?
I signed up for intermediate. But the school ended up running all groups together anyway. There was 23 riders. I paid for private coaching, I had Troy Corser for a couple of sessions each day. A prof Dutch ex-pro racer for a whole day (dude got mad knowledge), and a decent coach (liked his personality more than his skills lol). Amazing experience!

I was shocked how used I'm to my bike. Riding a stock RR sucked, no race seat, grippy pegs, or tank grips. Almost fell off the bike a couple of times. But after the 2nd day I got used to it.

I'm going back in Sept. PM me up if you wanna join me. Either brno race track czech republic, or mugello. Both are on my bucket lists. Also, I'll be doing Alpes road trip, renting a bike over there. Ditch the family for a week >:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sucky thread, no pictures or vids or nothing. >:)

I'm stoked you got a business trip aligned with Aragon @z00 and also will be back later.

I haven't tried Mugello, but if it is vacation + riding think of going to Mugello. The Czech republic doesn't contain that much sightseeing, which Italy has more than plenty of. But Brno and Mugello are perhaps the two best tracks in Europe not counting the Spanish tracks in.

Any set dates for any of the trips yet?

What were your laptimes?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I did BRNO and the Masaryk Circuit was really enjoyable. Many, many elevation changes. It is up in the hills. I flew into Vienna and enjoyed Austria and Budapest. I rented a car in Vienna and drove into the Czech Republic. It took a little over an hour and a half. I stayed in the Barcelo Brno Palace. It was very nice and a little over $100 US per night. It is adjacent to the small historic district.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Sooo... z00 which did you like better, find more helpful CSS or BMW Race Academy? Inquiring minds and all.:laugh: How did what they taught you differ?

·
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Dela I was lucky to work out this trip. I'm still traveling, so no pics/videos until I get back.
My best lap was 2:25, 10 sec faster from 1st day. My times would be even better after I get used to track, bike, and newly learned techniques.
One guy from US crashed ($1800 in damages), many others went off the track for going too fast. I tried to keep shiny side up so I can make it to my business trip.
Gear I rented was not exactly my size, so more execuses to be slow lol.

I plan to do the Mugello trip for early Sept. Are you in?
@wfo439
Both schools are good. I just prefer Troy's style of teaching. There are pros/cons to each school. But I can say doing both is best way to learn better.
Race academy is more track-oriented, CSS is for both street/track.

Some areas are completely different like riding with heels vs ball of foot (CSS), countersteering (CSS) vs using brake/throttle/BP to lean the bike.
If I had to pick one it would be the race academy. There were 2 students to each instructor. I had 1 because I did private coaching, more time with Troy.
Suck it up, come with me in Sept.

·
Registered
210 Posts
@Dela I was lucky to work out this trip. I'm still traveling, so no pics/videos until I get back.
My best lap was 2:25, 10 sec faster from 1st day. My times would be even better after I get used to track, bike, and newly learned techniques.
One guy from US crashed ($1800 in damages), many others went off the track for going too fast. I tried to keep shiny side up so I can make it to my business trip.
Gear I rented was not exactly my size, so more execuses to be slow lol.

I plan to do the Mugello trip for early Sept. Are you in?

@wfo439
Both schools are good. I just prefer Troy's style of teaching. There are pros/cons to each school. But I can say doing both is best way to learn better.
Race academy is more track-oriented, CSS is for both street/track.

Some areas are completely different like riding with heels vs ball of foot (CSS), countersteering (CSS) vs using brake/throttle/BP to lean the bike.
If I had to pick one it would be the race academy. There were 2 students to each instructor. I had 1 because I did private coaching, more time with Troy.
Suck it up, come with me in Sept.
I might try to squeeze in Mugello if finances permit. I am rebuilding the house, so not much funding in the racing wallet at the moment. But I'll be done when September is here. so maybe. But Mugello is a long trip for me, so it will need to be a great many things to add up for me to travel 1700km down through Europe.

But glad that Aragon was a good experience. It is a track that demands respect due to wind/temp difference around the mountain. Some places you can go much faster than it looks. I did 2.06 and still think I went too slow in several places around the track.... Looking forward to hearing more @z00 .

·
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might try to squeeze in Mugello if finances permit. I am rebuilding the house, so not much funding in the racing wallet at the moment. But I'll be done when September is here. so maybe. But Mugello is a long trip for me, so it will need to be a great many things to add up for me to travel 1700km down through Europe.

But glad that Aragon was a good experience. It is a track that demands respect due to wind/temp difference around the mountain. Some places you can go much faster than it looks. I did 2.06 and still think I went too slow in several places around the track.... Looking forward to hearing more @z00 .
Wind was tough to get used to. It's a hard track to learn especially turn 12.

You're fast! Troy on stock 17 was doing 2:01. Fastest 2 guys on fully modded RRs with slicks were doing 2:04-2:06.

I hope you can make it to Mugello. I'm about to start building a house, but bike life comes first >:)

·
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CSS does not say to ride with heels, by the way. Balls of feet.
Race academy teaches to ride with heels. CSS teaches to ride with balls of feet. No disagreement here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts