BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love to know your thoughts on it, especially from a street riding viewpoint

·
4,604 Posts
I did a 520 conversion with -1 in front. Acceleration is great. I still hit 186mph. Keep in mind I'm ~185lbs with gear. I have a sprint filter and a Racefit slipon, IAT relocation mod (really like this mod).

Other riders with RR 15+ go crazy wondering why I can pull away faster than them.

My only issue with 520 conversion is the chain, when you do -1, chain becomes longer. So my wheelbase is about 2cm longer now. It's good for stability and reduces wheelies coming out of turns. But it makes turn in harder. @d40 has the same chain I have. He removed another link from it, his system has a ~1cm shorter wheelbase. Not sure if his bike wheelies more or not. But it would turn in faster.

Bottom line I would do 520 conversion, -1 in front. I went with Alpha sprockets, and DID gold ZVMX 120 link chain. You might want to remove a link from it depending how you like your wheel base. I think I'm going to remove one from mine. I prefer a shorter wheelbase.

DID 520 chain is about 3lbs lighter than OEM one. Sprockets are also lighters (did not weigh them). But noticeable when holding one in each hand.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did a 520 conversion with -1 in front. Acceleration is great. I still hit 186mph. Keep in mind I'm ~185lbs with gear. I have a sprint filter and a Racefit slipon, IAT relocation mod (really like this mod).

Other riders with RR 15+ go crazy wondering why I can pull away faster than them.

My only issue with 520 conversion is the chain, when you do -1, chain becomes longer. So my wheelbase is about 2cm longer now. It's good for stability and reduces wheelies coming out of turns. But it makes turn in harder. @d40 has the same chain I have. He removed another link from it, his system has a ~1cm shorter wheelbase. Not sure if his bike wheelies more or not. But it would turn in faster.

Bottom line I do would 520 conversion, -1 in front. I went with Alpha sprockets, and DID gold ZVMX 120 link chain. You might want to remove a link from it depending how you like your wheel base. I think I'm going to remove one from mine. I prefer a shorter wheelbase.

DID 520 chain is about 3lbs lighter than OEM one. Sprockets are also lighters (did not weigh them). But noticeable when holding one in each hand.
Thanks for that z00. Yeah i definitely don't want to increase the wheelbase so I'd either remove a link or get a shorter chain.
I'd prefer to keep the wheelbase stock spec actually

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went -1 on the front. I like the impact it has on the street. Even at the track I ride I wasn't seeing 180 mph, so the reduced top speed is no big deal for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Bottom line I would do 520 conversion, -1 in front. I went with Alpha sprockets, and DID gold ZVMX 120 link chain. You might want to remove a link from it depending how you like your wheel base. I think I'm going to remove one from mine. I prefer a shorter wheelbase.

I don't mean to hijack this thread... but if i am curious as to the amount of stretching and or wear on your chain/sprockets (I assume the rear sprocket is aluminum?). I do an average of 1k aggressive street miles a month, and would love to do a 520 chain and aluminum sprockets, but feel that i would be changing them out every 2-3 months as I already do for my Supercorsas :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
@Spectre1 520 chains will not last as long and stretch quicker than a 525 or 530. Price you pay for HP, it doesn't last as long. No point in 520 for the street. Well not for me. I ride way too much. Maybe the weekend heroes can use them.

How long are we talking here? 5k miles versus usual 15k?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
How long are we talking here? 5k miles versus usual 15k?
It depends entirely on how hard you ride the bike.

If you're not constantly engaging in hard acceleration, especially from a standing start (dragracing) it would still be hard to give you a quantitative answer, but most likely depending on which chain (model & brand) I doubt it would be as extreme as your example. Maybe flip the number ratio in the other direction.

Still no guarantee.

·
4,604 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread... but if i am curious as to the amount of stretching and or wear on your chain/sprockets (I assume the rear sprocket is aluminum?). I do an average of 1k aggressive street miles a month, and would love to do a 520 chain and aluminum sprockets, but feel that i would be changing them out every 2-3 months as I already do for my Supercorsas :(
I ride hard, street and track. I have had my 520 setup for 3k miles now. No noticeable wear on the alum rear sprocket yet. At this rate I'm expecting to get ~10kmiles of the rear sprocket. I'm happy with that, the whole kits costs like $230. It makes riding more fun IMO and totally worth it. So instead of changing chain/sprocket at 18kmiles. Changing them at 10k is no big deal. If you don't ride as hard, they will last easily ~15k. Front sprocket is made out of steel so it will last more than twice as long as the rear.

If you're worried about money, skip eating and drinking out few times and you have the money to buy a 520 kit every 10k miles. :wink2: Hell, I pay $1 cent a pop for Naturalamb rubber, I ain't going cheap on my bike. What's the point of having a nice bike if we're not going to enjoy it. Ride hard above 10RPM or go home haha 0:)

·
4,604 Posts
I have already bought the 520 setup getting it tomorrow . Ready to see this shiii

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which sprockets and chain did you get? Install it yourself?

·
4,604 Posts
+2, damn you're brave lol

Keep us posted how renthal works for you. I read mixed reviews.

Cyclegear has a nice chain tool for a good price. Be sure you have an extra chain master link in case you screw up.

Knowing what I know now, I would drop one link from ZVMX 120 chain. Now sure how that will work since you're adding +2 in the rear, I say test it out first before pressing the master link pins to ensure the length is at what you like. Don't go by comparing OEM chain to 520 one, go by testing wheel base mounted.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Yeah I'm going to install it myself, first time doing anything chain related. Gotta learn sometime. I got the DID chain zvfm 520 with renthal sprockets. -1/+2

Half throttle and you will be wheeling in 5 gear .
I have 520 -1front -1 back and it will wheelie in 4th

1 - 20 of 52 Posts