BMW S1000RR Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Anyone in the Graf area gonna be out today or wanna meet up? Thinking about getting some time in after work. :D
Just took mine for repairs this morning, should have it back on Wednesday. Friday there is a car show in Nürnberg that I go to sometimes if you are down to ride. Then off to Italy on Monday.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Monday heading for Switzerland/Italy for a day and night then back to Austria for a day or two. Slovenia to follow afterwards! I project over 3,000km or more of travel this week! Lots of pictures will be taken, lots of flaming will ensue for those not willing to make the trip!

·
Registered
979 Posts
So with Wobbly's mechanical problems I went on the trip by myself I was shy of my distance prediction by only 300km.

Being that I have no GPS except my phone which did not work in Switzerland or Slovenia and no maps I got lost quite a bit but made due and did a lot of riding. I have about every Pass on video maybe over 5 hours of just pass riding.

4 countries in 3 days not including Germany!

I may start another thread for this but will include some pics here.
1374701769875.jpg 1374701802742.jpg 1374701828149.jpg 1374701848433.jpg 1374701907488.jpg

·
Registered
979 Posts
Any one in Germany want to plan something for the end of March or beginning of April to go through Austria, Switzerland and Italy? We could do it in 2 days or during a 4 day weekend. I know of hotels and routes, im not sure if my regular riding partner will be able to or not as of now but if so we could always use another rider. It would be an once in a lifetime opportunity, thats all I want to ride ever since I went for the first time. Post up here or PM me. If you're not from around my area we can meet up somewhere along the way that we determine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you get a rejection for noise? I bought mine here and registered it for two years which will probably put me past needing to go through insp at all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
They eventually passed it, but the main guy had to contact BMW and they had to confirm that it is indeed a loud bike, but within standards.
I'm a contractor and only registered it for a year the first time because I only knew for sure I'd be here for a few more months. When I got it inspected a couple months ago, they have a new policy where they rev it to half redline and then measure it. It blew a not surprising 107 and the limit was 95. I asked him what this meant and he said it fails and that's when I lost it.. The bike is German (US Spec), born in Germany, and has never left Germany, so obviously no issue with having it in Germany, unless you work for the Army and have to follow their stupid policy that has no basis in German law. He actually had the nerve to tell me to get an aftermarket to make it more quiet and I said there was no way that would ever happen. After talking to his boss, we took it out away from the building and it went down to 103, which is what BMW says it is supposed to do.
They suggested I get a letter from BMW saying it's legal and of course BMW won't do that because the Army is being stupid and making a rule that is not based off any German regulation. The dealership even showed me the EPA compliance label on the bike side of the exhaust, which the inspectors should've noticed.
It was annoying because mine is 100% factory with the exception of tank pads, a seat bag, and BMW valve stem covers.

BTW, where are you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
They eventually passed it, but the main guy had to contact BMW and they had to confirm that it is indeed a loud bike, but within standards.
I'm a contractor and only registered it for a year the first time because I only knew for sure I'd be here for a few more months. When I got it inspected a couple months ago, they have a new policy where they rev it to half redline and then measure it. It blew a not surprising 107 and the limit was 95. I asked him what this meant and he said it fails and that's when I lost it.. The bike is German (US Spec), born in Germany, and has never left Germany, so obviously no issue with having it in Germany, unless you work for the Army and have to follow their stupid policy that has no basis in German law. He actually had the nerve to tell me to get an aftermarket to make it more quiet and I said there was no way that would ever happen. After talking to his boss, we took it out away from the building and it went down to 103, which is what BMW says it is supposed to do.
They suggested I get a letter from BMW saying it's legal and of course BMW won't do that because the Army is being stupid and making a rule that is not based off any German regulation. The dealership even showed me the EPA compliance label on the bike side of the exhaust, which the inspectors should've noticed.
It was annoying because mine is 100% factory with the exception of tank pads, a seat bag, and BMW valve stem covers.

BTW, where are you?

I am moving to KMC area this summer, I already shipped my HHG and bikes. I got a s1000rr and 1299s, from what I am reading it seems like the inspection process to register the bikes in the military is a pain in the butt. I am in the Army and moving from Hawaii.
I got fender eliminator and integrated taillight on my bikes as well as aftermarket exhaust. Any recommendation? sadly I already sold the oem tail.
Also, I hoping to get back on the track, any good motorcycle shops in the KMC that can help get a bike track ready.
Would appreciate any suggestion

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am moving to KMC area this summer, I already shipped my HHG and bikes. I got a s1000rr and 1299s, from what I am reading it seems like the inspection process to register the bikes in the military is a pain in the butt. I am in the Army and moving from Hawaii.
I got fender eliminator and integrated taillight on my bikes as well as aftermarket exhaust. Any recommendation? sadly I already sold the oem tail.
Also, I hoping to get back on the track, any good motorcycle shops in the KMC that can help get a bike track ready.
Would appreciate any suggestion
I feel for the guys with modded bikes in Germany. The only ticket I've received in Europe was in Germany for noise (left my db killer out). In Belgium, they don't require an inspection for registration so it really doesn't matter what you have done and the police are pretty lax.

As far as track prep goes, you don't need a shop to do anything for you. Get the bike there, remove mirrors, plate, and tape the lights. Reinstall when your done.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts