BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It didnt happen all at once, but over the course of many months or maybe a year now. The first crack to develop was up the right (picture orientation) side, which met up with a second crack 1cm along, then that small section fell out, later the two up the centre , where that section fell away, then the one up the left.. As you can see it is a red tail that i had sprayed black when i dropped the bike a few years ago and damaged the oem black one... which now looks to be in less of a sorry state than this one!..

Im not sure if this is caused by my bum from sitting too far back in the seat?.. even though people have bum stops on their tail sections so Id would have assumed it should have been able to take the force.. My other guess was that the fairing I bought had cracks in it that i didn't notice that must have surfaced over time and use... So I am thinking about buying a chinese tail top fairing and having it painted or attempting myself... hopefully that doesnt crack too!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Mlk
This is the firt time I have seen someone post this issue, so I dont believe its common. Is that an OEM tail?
I put over 34 K in 3 years on my 2012 with nothing like this ever occuring.

Reactions: CYCLE_MONKEY

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mlk
This is the firt time I have seen someone post this issue, so I dont believe its common. Is that an OEM tail?
I put over 34 K in 3 years on my 2012 with nothing like this ever occuring.
Hi, Yep it is a genuine OEM one!, do you sit far back in your seat? i purchased that tail second hand so maybe it had non-visible cracking which surfaced from me leaning on it over time!.

·
Administrator
6,761 Posts
When you get a new one perhaps you could jam some foam rubber in there before you install the passenger seat. Yes, I've seen it before a few times, that area is pretty flimsy if force is applied. Did you notice that the newer ones are split and have a fairly hefty piece of plastic that bridges the join?

·
Registered
336 Posts
The only place where I noticed this was on a 2015 track bike with CRC kit on it. Its not this bad, but there is a crack in ours... Cant the OEM one will crack like this.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
This has to be from sitting too far back. Maybe not just that, but if you are constantly leaning on/off then maybe when you sit back down you are hitting that plastic first. The seat rests on a subframe and shouldn't be touching the fairings, so it shouldn't be warping it that way. I just don't see how it could be cracking like that unless you are constantly applying pressure to it.

The 2015+ models have a rubber backing there, so maybe it was added because people kept rubbing that portion of the tail fairing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This has to be from sitting too far back. Maybe not just that, but if you are constantly leaning on/off then maybe when you sit back down you are hitting that plastic first. The seat rests on a subframe and shouldn't be touching the fairings, so it shouldn't be warping it that way. I just don't see how it could be cracking like that unless you are constantly applying pressure to it.

The 2015+ models have a rubber backing there, so maybe it was added because people kept rubbing that portion of the tail fairing.
those are pretty much my thoughts too, likely from leaning on it under acceleration.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The gen3 tails should fit gen2 I assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts