BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
BMW keeps adding bling to the new bikes, but the idea of "form follows function" seems to have been reversed in the 2020 model, and now the 2021.
You've said this before but it doesn't really mean anything - "bling"? The real world benefits are immediately noticeable. The new bike is smaller, lighter, more nimble. It also looks better in my opinion but obviously that's purely subjective. The user interface is without question light years ahead of the old one.

Anyway, enjoy your '17, I looked hard at used but imo the new one is worth the extra money

ravenbravo said:
The bike feels light years ahead of the 2017, everything is better. Im very happy I made the move and got a killer deal on it!
Congrats! So they gave you some money off retail at least?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
You've said this before but it doesn't really mean anything - "bling"? The real world benefits are immediately noticeable. The new bike is smaller, lighter, more nimble. It also looks better in my opinion but obviously that's purely subjective. The user interface is without question light years ahead of the old one.

Anyway, enjoy your '17, I looked hard at used but imo the new one is worth the extra money

Congrats! So they gave you some money off retail at least?
They gave me $500 off list, then when I went to pick it up there was a very light scratch on the tank. So he said you can wait till I get another one or Ill give you another $1500 off, and an 42 month warranty! $18,500 for the bike. So I took the deal and will see what my body shop can do with the light hardly noticeable scratch(Im picky). Man what a bike, what a deal!
Things that bother me with the bike, that I will take care of.
Silver rear sets instead of black, Silver kickstand, silver valve stems on wheels, front fender not painted black.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Heck yeah a good detailer should be able to get that out (or at least make it far less noticeable) for $150

Get radiator and oil cooler guards installed ASAP

·
4,832 Posts
Is that $18,500 OTD price? Black is a great color. Could you post the build date? Curious to see what it is. My dealership still does not have 21 models.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Is that $18,500 OTD price? Black is a great color. Could you post the build date? Curious to see what it is. My dealership still does not have 21 models.
$18,500 for bike, plus tax and fees.
Build date- 8/20
My dealer has had 12- 2021 of these already, has like 3- 4 left.
They are like the biggest dealer on the East coast

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Heck yeah a good detailer should be able to get that out (or at least make it far less noticeable) for $150

They are gonna paint the front fender Black Storm and work on scratch for $150

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had a 2017 S1000RR Premium, which I traded for a 2018 Tuono Factory. A week ago, I traded the Tuono for a 2020 S1000RR with M package. I was going to wait until 2021 models are out and pick a black one with forged wheels, but the M looked better in person than on screen, and rode really well, so I said screw it, I am not going to wait. I put a 1000 miles on it already. It is so light and quick to turn. I always felt safe on S1000RR, and the electronics on the new bike are really, really good. I have not explored the full range of the engine yet, but as with the old bike, it is very rideable. The M seat does not bother me at all. When I first sat on it, I thought "no way" but after riding on it, I find it no worse than the 2017 S1000RR or the Tuono's. I have done several 2-3 hour rides and felt fine. I am relatively light (160 lbs) and exercise, so I think that helps too. I will deal with issues as they come. In short, no, I don't regret getting a K67. So far.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Did you get any instructions with your radiator guards? I go the same ones and there arent any.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I didn't get instructions with the OEM ones (if that's what you have).

You have to remove a lot of the front end bodywork to install. They clip to the bodywork using little metal clips in the package (that are easy to overlook and throw away). A thread or two on here covers this but I couldn't find them. Maybe buried in the 2020 accessories thread.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you bought the evotech look alike on Amazon it does not use clips.

Remove the belly pan and both lower side fairings. The main guard is attached using the radiator mount screws (the screws have blue loctite, use new loctite when re-installing). It's probably easier to loosely attach the oil cooler guard to the upper guard using the two screws provided when fitting it up. Bit of a pain but looks nice when done and superior to the plastic guards imo

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
If you bought the evotech look alike on Amazon it does not use clips.

Remove the belly pan and both lower side fairings. The main guard is attached using the radiator mount screws (the screws have blue loctite, use new loctite when re-installing). It's probably easier to loosely attach the oil cooler guard to the upper guard using the two screws provided when fitting it up. Bit of a pain but looks nice when done and superior to the plastic guards imo
It was kinda self explanatory. I only removed the lower belly pan and the shroud on one side and loosed the other side. I also put a zip tie on each side at the top of Rad guard as I saw it could move a tad and rattle when you hit a bump.
Looks great! These should really come standard from factory, as should a taller windscreen.
But I fixed both issues today.
Waiting on more stuff 😀
Oh I had sent you a PM, you can disregard that now that I have the bike. 😀

On an side note
The flat spot in power is there, bummer. If you give it the beans at 6k rpm you will notice in 2nd , 3rd gear.
I ran it in dynamic mode for now till break in is over.
Looks like a Brentune will be in the works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 2017 S1000RR Premium, which I traded for a 2018 Tuono Factory. A week ago, I traded the Tuono for a 2020 S1000RR with M package. I was going to wait until 2021 models are out and pick a black one with forged wheels, but the M looked better in person than on screen, and rode really well, so I said screw it, I am not going to wait. I put a 1000 miles on it already. It is so light and quick to turn. I always felt safe on S1000RR, and the electronics on the new bike are really, really good. I have not explored the full range of the engine yet, but as with the old bike, it is very rideable. The M seat does not bother me at all. When I first sat on it, I thought "no way" but after riding on it, I find it no worse than the 2017 S1000RR or the Tuono's. I have done several 2-3 hour rides and felt fine. I am relatively light (160 lbs) and exercise, so I think that helps too. I will deal with issues as they come. In short, no, I don't regret getting a K67. So far.
Any thoughts on ergo / riding position between the two? I have a '15 with helibars...coming from a much older Tuono and its perfect for the canyons.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Any thoughts on ergo / riding position between the two? I have a '15 with helibars...coming from a much older Tuono and its perfect for the canyons.
The K67 is slightly more sporty than the Tuono. Not by much. A little more lean forward and a little more bend in the hips. My '17 S1000RR also had Helibars, and I was worried that because the new triple clamp design prevents their installation I will have to suffer, but the new S1000RR is surprisingly easy on the body. I'd say the new S1000RR, stock, is as comfortable to me as was the 2017 with Helibars.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Like you, I have the '17, and it's just about perfect. Solid, no issues, smooth as silk and over 15,000 fantastic miles. The saying, "Happiness is wanting what you already have..." applies here. Unless you have a compelling reason, I can't see it. The 2020 issues and an unknown in the 2021 keep me on the sidelines where they're concerned. BMW keeps adding bling to the new bikes, but the idea of "form follows function" seems to have been reversed in the 2020 model, and now the 2021. I would like to see the 2021 go through an entire year without problems before I'd even consider it.
Naw, the 15-16 was better. The 17-19 had that awful cat installed and faring removed on the bottom. I have a 2021 now and it is hands down better than my 15 and 16 were. It's not even close my man.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts