BMW S1000RR Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Look on the old RR on the top or close to it for the last 10 years, lots of bikes sold, lots of people running it on all levels, lots on the roads.

The new one will know similar success. BMW knows how to and somehow it attracts a lot of people ever since. This post probably will be forgotten like those about the asymmetrical face years ago.

It is a very decent product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Also keeping the warranty on a bike like this is smart, they are super expensive to fix!
Warranty should be ok as long as you use BMW M/Alpha unlock and not some aftermarket flash by some leet haxor in their parent's basement.

Others above covered the rest of the response.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cancelled my deposit after I saw the bulletin that they were looking for a new mfg for case parts and more units wouldn't be starting drop till late this year "novemberish".

I did a few demo rides and after a long hard think along with a little deal work I'm taking this home next week.

It's between the V4S Corse and the S100RR M for me too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Of course its EPA & Cali, the same bike in almost the rest of the world doesn't have these extreme restrictive power issues, I take it you're from the US right? the world wasn't created by Christopher Columbus.
I keep hearing its Euro 5 emissions, yet the Euro bikes are not affected?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I keep hearing its Euro 5 emissions, yet the Euro bikes are not affected?
This is what I hear. The EU is generally tougher on emissions, especially in Euro5. The US is tougher on sound.

The restrictions we see in the US - the limitations on throttle and exhaust value opening are used to attenuate maximum noise in the test. The various limits appear to be constructed to game a particular test. That accounts for some of the apparent strangeness.

What is unclear is how BMW allowed the bike to be designed in such a way that they were forced to limit it so severely in software. Maybe their European base caused it to be designed for Europe and then when it was adapted for US regs, they had an oh-**** moment. I imagine that if noise is the real problem to be solved, they would have put more into the hardware - the muffler. But hardware is way harder to change, especially at a late moment, than tweaking the software to pass the stupid test. That's what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The same goes for the current Suzuki GSXR 1000R, the US model is terribly muted in power compared to the Euro bikes.
Brock recognised this and clawed back its intended power with various methods.
This is the new normal, it's not going to revert back, I'll say manufactures will bring out a closed circuit ECU "option" to counter these strict regulations, or else people just won't buy litre bikes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The same goes for the current Suzuki GSXR 1000R, the US model is terribly muted in power compared to the Euro bikes.
Brock recognised this and clawed back its intended power with various methods.
This is the new normal, it's not going to revert back, I'll say manufactures will bring out a closed circuit ECU "option" to counter these strict regulations, or else people just won't buy litre bikes.
I politely told the top BMW rep to her face at BMW's track event that I refuse to buy the S1k until they offer a no-cost "off road tune", done at the dealership, that will 100% retain the BMW factor warranty.
No tune. No sale.

I even provided legal precedent of other another manufacturer offering an identical solution to owners in order to avoid a owner-filed class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I politely told the top BMW rep to her face at BMW's track event that I refuse to buy the S1k until they offer a no-cost "off road tune", done at the dealership, that will 100% retain the BMW factor warranty.
No tune. No sale.

I even provided legal precedent of other another manufacturer offering an identical solution to owners in order to avoid a owner-filed class action lawsuit.

Nice what she says to that?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Warranty should be ok as long as you use BMW M/Alpha unlock and not some aftermarket flash by some leet haxor in their parent's basement.

Others above covered the rest of the response.
Negative.
One would have to have more money than sense to made mods on a brand new $25k bike with nothing but a "you should be OK" assurance.
For what it's worth, a top BMW corporate employee made the identical statement to my face. I just looked at them and said that I'd have to be a fool to make the mods to a brand new $25k bike with nothing but a verbal assurance.
Not going to happen.
No tune. No sale.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think they made the engine with racing in mind as you can see they ran the engine just with an exhaust system in the first races of the World Super Bike championship. Then they must have designed the different systems to make them legal in countries.

I think they should at least sell Euro models in one state in the US that allows similar regulations. Don’t know if this is possible?

Feel sorry for US riders. On the same in the US a let modify their bikes and have no issues at all with authorities. Here I mod then I’m done no license.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Then worst case there will be a market for euro ecu’s into the US.
Hope it won’t be a black market hehe

·
Registered
132 Posts
Negative.
One would have to have more money than sense to made mods on a brand new $25k bike with nothing but a "you should be OK" assurance.
For what it's worth, a top BMW corporate employee made the identical statement to my face. I just looked at them and said that I'd have to be a fool to make the mods to a brand new $25k bike with nothing but a verbal assurance.
Not going to happen.
No tune. No sale.
Worked for me :shrug:

Full yoshimura exhaust, Race ECU unlock, RCK3 unlock. Everything else is stock. Warranty covered the damages. And before you ask, no I am not associated with any dealership.

I did laugh at "One would have to have more money than sense" comment considering a lot of people buy $25k bikes that they can't afford...

61 - 74 of 74 Posts