BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sad, found out today my local dealer went out of business. They were great guys I considered friends. I bought three bikes there and always purchased my fluids and parts there even though those were cheaper online just to support them.
In the upper Midwest if your BMW has a problem you can’t handle I think you’re pretty much on an island. I’m a fairly decent wrench and have lots of friends that are better and have loads of race experience so I’ll be fine but I just feel so bad for a good bunch of people that couldn’t make it work after sixty years in business.

·
Super Moderator
9,679 Posts
I feel fortunate to have one of the largest BMW dealers around 10 minutes away. Additionally, there are several within an hour or so drive from me. These machines are getting very technical to service. Need the right network.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I feel fortunate to have one of the largest BMW dealers around 10 minutes away. Additionally, there are several within an hour or so drive from me. These machines are getting very technical to service. Need the right network.
I'm envious. There are three BMW dealers in the Phila area, but unfortunately the 1.5 hours equidistant from my house.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Many, many reasons for dealerships to go under. Who knows what their capitalization was like? Well-founded, diverse dealers are still open. For now anyway.

I see their site is still up. Looks like they had HD and BMW. Not a ton of (relatively) mass-market models from those two. Don't know that area, but most dealerships around here carry a line of dirt bikes, quads and side by sides to round out their business model.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Looks like they had HD and BMW. Not a ton of (relatively) mass-market models from those two.
?

Harley Davidson is the very definition of mass-market in the States. Harley enjoys the largest share of the U.S. market by far at 30% of all motorcycles sold.

·
Registered
297 Posts
?

Harley Davidson is the very definition of mass-market in the States. Harley enjoys the largest share of the U.S. market by far at 30% of all motorcycles sold.
You're right of course, but look at the recent drop in sales that HD experienced. As has BMW. I know of two HD dealers that have gone out of business in the Phila area in the past 12 mos. On the other hand Covid-inspired dirt bike sales are reported up.

If Micheler's cash flow was predicated on moving lots of $20k+ dressers then it may have contributed.

Having said that, in the Phila area there are a couple of HD dealers that are just killing it.

As I said, many reasons dealers go out. Hard to know why this one did. Sad. From their web site they sounded like enthusiasts and a nice place to do business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts