BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stem cell injection day today. Anyone had this done? I've had numerous knee surgeries and now of course arthritis eating away the knee's support system. There have been many days where I could hardly bend my right knee, riding was out of the question or any kind of exercise for that matter. Getting through work some days was horrific, could barely walk afterwards. My ortho suggested it and having done some research it looks promising. Looking forward to riding when I want not when my knee hurts less and I suffer through it, not very enjoyable. We'll see what happens

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Please let us know how it goes. There could be others who might benefit from this kind of treatment. Good luck to you!
Thank you, only time will tell as everyone's capacity to grow cartilage is different, but I'm hopeful. If it works the mobile chicane that I am will be back on the track

·
Registered
258 Posts
Stem cell injection day today. Anyone had this done? I've had numerous knee surgeries and now of course arthritis eating away the knee's support system. There have been many days where I could hardly bend my right knee, riding was out of the question or any kind of exercise for that matter. Getting through work some days was horrific, could barely walk afterwards. My ortho suggested it and having done some research it looks promising. Looking forward to riding when I want not when my knee hurts less and I suffer through it, not very enjoyable. We'll see what happens
Is this also called PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections? Either way good luck.

https://www.hss.edu/condition-list_prp-injections.asp

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Yes. A family member had it done and experienced drastic pain relief. Said it was the only thing in 15 years that really made a difference.
Interesting, tc! If you don't mind my asking, what was the nature of your family member's back issue? Lower disk, or something other? Did they try epidural cortisone and physical therapy first? I ask because I've had an L5 issue for 2 1/2 years and am managing it via exercise. I did have one epidural injection last December and although I think it helped, I am wary of the dangers of doing those injections. Eventually, I worry this disk will deteriorate to the point that more radical intervention may be necessary, but if stem cell therapy works...it's worth investigating. Thanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Interesting, tc! If you don't mind my asking, what was the nature of your family member's back issue? Lower disk, or something other? Did they try epidural cortisone and physical therapy first? I ask because I've had an L5 issue for 2 1/2 years and am managing it via exercise. I did have one epidural injection last December and although I think it helped, I am wary of the dangers of doing those injections. Eventually, I worry this disk will deteriorate to the point that more radical intervention may be necessary, but if stem cell therapy works...it's worth investigating. Thanks.
Lower back, I want to say he had discs fused. Physical therapy, multiple steroid injections, stretching, exercise, etc... all seemed to be temp solutions. After the stem cell therapy, he said the pain gradually dissipated over 6 months to the point of minor minor discomfort. Basically it gave him a new lease on life. However, I believe you have to go back for more periodically.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Lower back, I want to say he had discs fused. Physical therapy, multiple steroid injections, stretching, exercise, etc... all seemed to be temp solutions. After the stem cell therapy, he said the pain gradually dissipated over 6 months to the point of minor minor discomfort. Basically it gave him a new lease on life. However, I believe you have to go back for more periodically.
Thanks...I've posed the question to my ortho doc...see what he says.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this also called PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections? Either way good luck.

https://www.hss.edu/condition-list_prp-injections.asp
It is not, these are actual stem cells taken from donated umbilical cords. Big bucks, $1700.00 a shot. Not covered by insurance of course. So if this works for my right knee, I'll do the left. Another facility told me it's good for about 10 years due to having arthritis but if you do the math, 3650 days for $1700 it works for me

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For all those wondering about needle size and pain, needle was tiny and actually shorter than I'm used to, pain was almost nonexistent and was given on the right side of right knee

·
Registered
831 Posts
For all those wondering about needle size and pain, needle was tiny and actually shorter than I'm used to, pain was almost nonexistent and was given on the right side of right knee
Does this treatment work for tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis)?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I 'cured' my chronic osteoarthritis of the knee and lower back problems (army injuries) by taking glucosamine every day. I take something like 1500mg. Took a while for it to kick in, but I'm 46 now and my knees and back are fine. Of course maintaining correct weight to height ratio also helped. When I originally saw the surgeon he told me that without an op I'd be in a lot of trouble by the time I got to my 30's. So glucosamine did it for me. Helps with all sorts of joint issues.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does this treatment work for tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis)?
I don't think so, more for helping to repair or regrow damaged or missing cartilage from my understanding, but I'm far from having the medical knowledge to tell you yay or nay, consult your physician of choice

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I 'cured' my chronic osteoarthritis of the knee and lower back problems (army injuries) by taking glucosamine every day. I take something like 1500mg. Took a while for it to kick in, but I'm 46 now and my knees and back are fine. Of course maintaining correct weight to height ratio also helped. When I originally saw the surgeon he told me that without an op I'd be in a lot of trouble by the time I got to my 30's. So glucosamine did it for me. Helps with all sorts of joint issues.
From what I understand, glucosamine, chondroitin and msm help with promotion of lubrication of the joints which keeps down inflammation which of course would help eliminate pain, and in my humble opinion a good thing and yes, it does take awhile to become effective

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
From what I understand, glucosamine, chondroitin and msm help with promotion of lubrication of the joints which keeps down inflammation which of course would help eliminate pain, and in my humble opinion a good thing and yes, it does take awhile to become effective
Also good at keeping inflammation lower is proper diet, minimizing inflammation-causing foods such as processed carbs and sugar. And not playing $#@%! golf.

Kidding aside, let us know how it goes. Curious how long before you'll know...

:grin2:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ditto with my left knee, which sufferred from years of cricket, and too many overs !!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Also good at keeping inflammation lower is proper diet, minimizing inflammation-causing foods such as processed carbs and sugar. And not playing $#@%! golf.

Kidding aside, let us know how it goes. Curious how long before you'll know...

Yes you are correct sir, very much so. There are even certain vegetables one is NOT to eat with arthritis, they are called nightshade vegetables, and of course they are some of my favorites. Some include tomatoes, potatoes(but not sweet potatoes) peppers both hot and sweet, tomatillos, eggplant and a few more. I am also curious as to how long this will take. Oh and golf sucks

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Surprisingly, I can go back to the gym in a few days but no squats, lunges, or impact exercises, running, box jumps, etc. I can do leg extensions, leg press, leg curls, straight leg dead lifts and for cardio, stationary bike, elliptical machine or swimming. I am supposed to stretch my legs 2-3 times a day after exercising, a heating pad or some other way to warm up the knee joint then ice afterwards

1 - 20 of 20 Posts