BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
So that goes under leathers? Imagine a bunch in the nuts to go on top of the laws of physics you'll try to challenge. I love the price, I would get one for a track day. Hopefully, renting them will be an option soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's pretty exciting. I was looking at suits a couple of weeks ago and was told the Alpinestars Fusion was designed with the TechAir 10 in mind. I'm happy to see hip protection trickle down to us mere mortals.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wearing the airbag inside the suit seems like a bad idea, for mobility if nothing else.
Much better having the airbag built in properly and repackable.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I've always thought something like this would be great for street riders and racers, and think that they can probably make a system that would work well for street riders soon. Seems like some are kinda bulky and finicky, but, it appears that they are getting better. I think making a system that works well for street riders, especially those riding long distances, is the toughest. The ones for racers can be relatively simple as they're worn in specific conditions and for shorter periods of time so they can be a little less comfortable, but the ones for long distance street or dirt riding need to be comfortable enough to be worn all day, day after day, work in all temperatures and riding conditions, and need to be easily put on and removed. Especially if you're in the middle of BFE and need to drop an emergency deuce! o_O 💩
Alpinestars launch next generation Tech-Air airbag syst... | Visordown

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
105 Posts
I own and occasionally wear a Helite turtle vest II and from my experience its a great option for longer rides and less so for shorter around town stuff. Advantages are its worn outside your current gear, its very durable/abrasion resistant, it has a built-in back protector so you really don't need one in your jacket so when you get where you are going you can take off the vest and enjoy your riding jacket with comfort (no back protector in it). Its a proven system and can be recharged easily if you have canisters. Its also relatively affordable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've owned and occasionally worn a Helite turtle vest II and from my experience its a great option for longer rides and less so for shorter around town stuff. Advantages are its worn outside your current gear, its very durable/abrasion resistant, it has a built-in back protector so you really don't need one in your jacket so when you get where you are going you can take off the vest and enjoy your riding jacket with comfort (no back protector in it). Its a proven system and can be recharged easily if you have canisters. Its also relatively affordable.
I have the tech air race I use for the track and it’s fantastic. Just zips right into the suit. Also have the tech air 5 vest for street stuff, although I don’t ride on the streets as much. I guess you can use those for street or track now.

Never trusted myself with a tethered setup.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
105 Posts
I also have a tech air 5 that I use with a GP Tech V2 jacket (excellent jacket btw). I love the jacket w/o the tech air installed but when its installed there is an adverse affect on ability to twist and turn to look for traffic etc that I don't feel with the Helite external vest (worn with other jackets). Just my 2 cents. I'm very curious about the new a* external vest I see in the visor down article.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I rode with a Helite for 5 years, but I didn't have any serious get offs in it. I've been riding with a TechAir 5 for a year. Last February, I had a TA5 deployment on the street (weather related: ~45 MPH... rain/hail). Looking at the cost of the TA5 and a $180 repack, I'm still way ahead of an ambulance ride, a tow (I rode home), and an emergency room visit. My TA5 was back home in 6 days. My left side and chest were pretty sore for a few weeks, but no broken anything. I much prefer these things to the gear I had just a few years ago.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I am big guy not fat big but huge boned and tall big bodybuilder type. finding a 3xl helmet that was ECE rated and not flat black that would fit was like finding holy grail .

Ended up getting Ls2 Challenger GT and NexxX.R2 helmets .Scorpon makes a 3xl in the t520 but they are long out of stock and who knows how long till they are in again and Icon also makes 3xl but it didnt fit either.

·
8,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had tech air suit with Alpi* suit in 2018, had a low side with it at ~80mph, video below. I sold it after one season. It was bulky, heavy, hindered my riding.

Last season I used just a back protector. This season I'm hoping there is a good option, tech air 10 looking promising, talked to my race vendors, they said not to hold my breath on getting tech air 10 in April. My 2nd option is Klim air suit if they enable track mode in US (still not approved), only for street.

Tech air 5 is great for the street, but it's hot in the summer. I always wear a leather jacket when riding on street, it was a No for me.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Great idea but question fitment in suit especially if your suit has aero hump on back.

What would be great is same product in a chest protector . Most deaths occur from car pulling out and bike hits car/rider hits car chest level and crushes chest .

zoo btw what track is that?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts