BMW S1000RR Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
7,876 Posts
lots of break dust on them but they move freely. Also no problems when I had the previous pads installed.
My best theory right now is that the Alpha pads were rubbing a bit at the backing plate vs the caliper .

Also talked to Alpha Racing but they were essentially doing a 🤷‍♂️ and didn't care any further. Was hoping that they'd at least give me some discount for new rotors or actually care to find out what happened but does not seem to be the case.
Can you please rephrase this part?
"Alpha pads were rubbing a bit at the backing plate vs the caliper"

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Can you please rephrase this part?
"Alpha pads were rubbing a bit at the backing plate vs the caliper"
Sure so the retaining clips of the caliper had some obvious wear and tear. So one theory way that the pads simply didn't slide freely back and forth and thus get stuck on the rotor.
But now that I found another rider that also destroyed a rotor with those pads it seems to me that maybe the aggressive metal content in the pads just chews rotors apart at low temps (street riding)

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Administrator
7,876 Posts
But now that I found another rider that also destroyed a rotor with those pads it seems to me that maybe the aggressive metal content in the pads just chews rotors apart at low temps (street riding)

Hope this helps a bit.
Helps a lot, thank you.
This seems the most plausible explanation if his pads also looked like yours!?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok after A day at the track, well partial day... alpha pads in the trash....alpha rotors in the trash... The conclusion for me is that the pads for whatever reason are causing the issue. Iv'e used a "race pad" on the street before with no issues like this.....i Guess im just to slow too use alpha brake pads, LOL. With that said bad luck or bad product I don't know. I'm going to stay away from their pads for now...

·
Administrator
7,876 Posts
Ok after A day at the track, well partial day... alpha pads in the trash....alpha rotors in the trash... The conclusion for me is that the pads for whatever reason are causing the issue. Iv'e used a "race pad" on the street before with no issues like this.....i Guess im just to slow too use alpha brake pads, LOL. With that said bad luck or bad product I don't know. I'm going to stay away from their pads for now...
May i ask if your Alpha pads / rotors looked like Paxmans "Pics in this thread" when they failed?
Thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not as bad because I keep an eye on them and stoped before to many miles. The other interesting thing was that it was more so on my left side rotor than my right. Unfortunately I have the rotors packed away but I do have some pictures in the pads.. As you may be able to tell the grooves in the pads transferred onto the rotor. It almost looks like a record if that makes any sense.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,876 Posts
Not as bad because I keep an eye on them and stoped before to many miles. The other interesting thing was that it was more so on my left side rotor than my right. Unfortunately I have the rotors packed away but I do have some pictures in the pads.. As you may be able to tell the grooves in the pads transferred onto the rotor. It almost looks like a record if that makes any sense.
Thank you for posting the pictures & your correct in that it's the same type of pad damage as Paxman but you caught it earlier. The grooves in the pads with matching sets in the rotors are completely normal outside of racing & are due to road debris, small particles etc.... that get trapped between the pads & the rotor & cause the grooving but it happens over 100s & 1000s of miles while generating considerably more heat than motorcycle pads / rotors.

Additionally Alpha isn't big enough or has the RD funds like most similar companies to have their own steel foundries or formulate custom rotor metal composition so like the rest they purchase ready made rotors & staples their name on it similar to automotive applications. They have the rotor end wrapped so it has to be the pads.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Who installed them? Maybe the parts were on the shelf too long or stored in a climate with extreme temperature changes, like Reno, NV, which has extreme heat and extreme cool seasons (why I don't buy tires from tirerack btw).

New pads, no matter what application they're designed for, on a new bike... I just can't help but think something wrong happened during install.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Who installed them? Maybe the parts were on the shelf too long or stored in a climate with extreme temperature changes, like Reno, NV, which has extreme heat and extreme cool seasons (why I don't buy tires from tirerack btw).

New pads, no matter what application they're designed for, on a new bike... I just can't help but think something wrong happened during install.
That is the typical first assumption everyone would jump to, as it's the most common reason. If you'd read the entire thread : I documented my installation and clean up on youtube videos in great detail, but also got my installation reviewed by BMW mechanics at a dealership. To have multiple cases seems like the pads (maybe a single batch) were bad. I never heard that weather could affect sintered brake pads, as they are mostly metal really.

Video of cleaning up the aftermath . To repeat from previous posts: I got new rotors (old ones were worn down from 5mm to 4.7mm ) and went back to OEM pads. Did another 200 miles with OEM pads and Alpha rotors and have no issues anymore. Only thing that changed was the pads.

Reactions: #Redhotrc51

·
Administrator
7,876 Posts
UPDATE

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but so far:

1 Both @paxman & @#Redhotrc51 had identical issues with Alpha racing pads.
2. Both were running OEM rotors / pads or sintered pads.
3. Both dropped in the same Alpha brake pads
4.Both experienced same type of pad damage

Only variables are #Redhotrc51 removed the Alphas earlier with less pad damage & proportionally less rotor damage. Paxman rotors were shot due to excessive wear.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I apologize, I did skim-read / speed-read parts of this thread. But as you mentioned, and as a former service technician and someone with a mechanical background, this is an extremely common cause. I'll see my way out now :(

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
UPDATE

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but so far:

1 Both @paxman & @#Redhotrc51 had identical issues with Alpha racing pads.
2. Both were running OEM rotors / pads or sintered pads.
3. Both dropped in the same Alpha brake pads
4.Both experienced same type of pad damage

Only variables are #Redhotrc51 removed the Alphas earlier with less pad damage & proportionally less rotor damage. Paxman rotors were shot due to excessive wear.
Correct - I shared that with alpha racing a week ago. No response .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I apologize, I did skim-read / speed-read parts of this thread. But as you mentioned, and as a former service technician and someone with a mechanical background, this is an extremely common cause. I'll see my way out now :(
Hehe all good ;-)

41 - 57 of 57 Posts