BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Vendor
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Available from RIDERS DISCOUNT: Motorcycle Accessories, Motorcycle Helmets & Gear –Akrapovic Full Exhaust Systems for your BMW S1000RR.

These exhausts are available in your choice of header construction:

Racing Line Full systems feature stainless steel headers
Evolution Line Full systems feature titanium headers

Racing and Evolution systems are dimensionally identical; the only difference is in their weights.

All Akrapovic mufflers for the BMW S1000RR are built with all-titanium internal construction. There are two choices for muffler style:

Standard systems have a larger muffler that is available with either a carbon fiber or titanium outer sleeve. Included with the standard muffler is a removable baffle for attenuating the exhaust note to bring it down to more a neighbor-friendly decibel level. The muffler with a carbon fiber sleeve weighs 3.30lbs (muffler) + 1.10lbs (midpipe) = 4.40lbs on our scales.

Shorty systems are only available with titanium outer sleeves and do NOT include a sound baffle or a provision for the installation thereof. This muffler weighs 2.10lbs (muffler) + 0.80lbs (midpipe) = 2.90lbs on our scales.

Available in the following configurations:

- Racing Line with either carbon or titanium canister in standard length.
- Evolution Line with either carbon or titanium canister in standard length.
- Evolution Line “Shorty” Exhaust

These are not yet available on our website, just call TJ at 866.931.6644 ext 817 to get one of these exhausts shipped to you today. You can also email your questions to FORUM at RIDERSDISCOUNT dot COM with the subject line BMW AKRAPOVIC and we will get back to you right away.

The Evolution Line Full System with standard-length carbon fiber muffler. All required mounting hardware and clear instructions are included.

Also available with titanium sleeve.

The Evolution Line Full System with shorty muffler.

The shorty muffler, like the standard-length system, has a carbon-fiber endcap made of pre-preg CF. The endcaps are placed in a mold, vacuum bagged and cured in an autoclave. Unlike some exhaust manufacturers, Akrapovic not only designs, but also builds all of their own carbon fiber.

Akrapovic headers have a balancer pipe between cylinders 2 and 3 to improve low-end power output.

Titanium is TIG-welded so that it does not become brittle and crack with time. Our own experience with Akrapovic exhausts has shown time and again that their welds hold up over a long period of time under race conditions.

·
Vendor
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Barely visible in this photo is the weld on this shorty muffler’s sleeve.

Precision-machined pipe joints make for reliable, easy assembly. Notice that even the exhaust spring tabs are constructed with titanium.

There are two lambda sensor bungs on the headers that come lockwired from the Akrapovic factory.

Akrapovic employs six different kinds of titanium in the construction of their exhausts based upon the needs of the design which vary in thickness from 500 – 1,500µM.

·
Vendor
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Carbon fiber muffler sleeves are made from a wet lay-up procedure. Carbon fiber cloth is wrapped on a pre-heated mold that is then impregnated with a hot resin. The molds are then cured in a two-stage temperature controlled environment for heat resistance, high-strength and low weight. The end result is a sleeve where it is hard to find the seams between each end of the cloth.

Akrapovic carbon fiber muffler clamps are produced in the same manner as the endcaps with prepreg carbon cloth.

Muffler comparison:

The headers are identical for both the standard length and shorty exhausts, but their mid-pipes are different as you can see in these photos.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I want i want i want, mind you i also want my bike too

I spoke to Calsport and they have told me mid april so by the time my bike comes it will be coming out of the dealers with it all in place :)

I was thinking about buying both silencers as i want the stubby but think that the stubby may give me some noise issues on track. Would the bigger can bodge on for want of a better word to the stubby mid pipe for track days?

·
Vendor
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want i want i want, mind you i also want my bike too

I spoke to Calsport and they have told me mid april so by the time my bike comes it will be coming out of the dealers with it all in place :)

I was thinking about buying both silencers as i want the stubby but think that the stubby may give me some noise issues on track. Would the bigger can bodge on for want of a better word to the stubby mid pipe for track days?
The headers between the two systems are identical, however, as you can see, the midpipes are different. As we noticed during assembly for the photo shoot, the mid-pipe takes a bit of work to fit to the headers. Based on that experiece, you're likely going to need to at least loosen (or worse, remove) the entire header assembly just to swap mufflers.

The other issue is parts availability, since you'll need to buy a separate mid-pipe and muffler assembly. We will be looking into spares for this exhaust.

i would like the evo short... can't find on your website though...
Hard parts are not yet on our website. We are working on this, just ring up TJ and he'll get you sorted out. :)

·
Vendor
7,705 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thread began to venture into a discussion of another nature (instead of TJ's Akra Sale)... those posts have been moved to: http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/e...ow-hard-would-piece-together-exhaust-sys.html under the Exhaust Forum/Topic area.
I wasn't looking to build my own exhaust, though the same guy that did the metal work for my turbo bike could easily do it. I was interested in purchasing the pieces separately (swapping the stainless header for the identical titanium header) from the poster/vendor to save some money.

Thought that was a relevant question, and the resulting lower price for the short exhaust would generate more sales. It was simply building off the poster/vendor's observation that the Akra headers are identical no matter what system or what material.

·
Vendor
7,705 Posts
No sweat at all Rob... It looked like it was going to spawn further discussion, so I thought it best to move it before it got too big... No blame, just trying to keep the Vendor's threads moving w/their intent in mind... Other areas I stay a bit more relaxed on...

No harm/no foul Rob - it's all good ;)

Plus TJ gets a free bump here and there out of this :cool:

·
Vendor
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rob,

As of right now the spare parts (or individual pieces) are not available from the Akrapovic distributor. We will definitely keep an eye on this and when they do become available we will post up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rob,

As of right now the spare parts (or individual pieces) are not available from the Akrapovic distributor. We will definitely keep an eye on this and when they do become available we will post up.
10-fo!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts

·
Vendor
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let me see if we can get them on the scale for you. On our 09 R1 the titanium header was 4.12 lbs lighter then the stainless header. I going to assume it will be similar to this.

·
Vendor
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Full Exhaust System Installation Guide

Here’s how we added an Akrapovic full exhaust system to our S1000RR project bike and these are the tools required to do the job:

Torx 25, 40 & 45
Metric hex sockets (3, 6, 12 & 13)
Metric wrenches 10, 13 & 17
A good torque wrench

Recommended tools:
Front and rear stands
Socket extension(s)
T-handle sockets

As always, you’d start by removing the lowers and, since the servo motors were going with the exhaust, the side fairings can come off too. Notice how we covered the radiator with cardboard before we took it off. This is cheap insurance, but it could mean the difference between installing an exhaust in one night or waiting a long time for a new radiator. Also, while it’s not required, it’s never a bad idea to suspend the brake calipers (we used zip ties) from a solid object on the frame so they’re out of the way and the hoses aren’t being pulled or pinched against anything.

Akrapovic recommends that you unscrew the lambda sensors directly from the OEM headers in situ; we disagree – instead, disconnect them from the harness and unscrew them later. You’ll also want to remove the cables from their respective servo motors at this time. Of course, before the radiator comes off, it needs to be drained of fluid. Do this on both sides.

Before removing the header bolts, it’s wise to remove the muffler …

… and remove the catalytic convertor bolts too.

We opted to remove the front forks for extra working room. With the radiator out of the way, the exhaust header bolts are easy to get to.

OEM headers out, use a clean cloth to cover the exhaust ports if the bike is going to sit for any period of time.

Removing the lambda sensors is a straight forward job. Just mind the anti-seize compound that BMW loves to use everywhere.

·
Vendor
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Re-installing the O2 sensor; don’t forget the anti-seize.

Akrapovic recommends that you install the exhaust gas sensors after the headers have been installed on the bike. Again, we disagree. Do this before mounting them up and torque these to spec.

BMW uses metal header gaskets, something other manufacturers should take note of! You will re-use these.

On the right, a header with its flange and sleeve joint removed. You will need to install these two parts, one from each header tube, on the exhaust ports before attaching the rest of the tubing.

Think about how you orient the exhaust spring holes. You don’t want to over-stretch these. Use the included copper past on each bolt.

Since we’re talking about springs, don’t forget to attach them to the flanges before bolting them on.

DO NOT fully tighten the flange bolts at this point! Hand tight is good enough. As a reminder, unless the directions say otherwise, never tighten all the bolts on a particular part until every component is attached as it would be in its final state. The exhaust sniffers previously mentioned are one exception to this rule.

·
Vendor
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
With the header flanges in place, it is now possible to install the headers themselves. Don’t forget to use the included anti-seize at all the pipe joints during assembly.

Headers in place, now the collectors and down pipe can go on.

If you’re using a full-length exhaust, you’ll need to install an attachment bracket for the muffler clamp. The hardware is included, in this case, with the Akrapovic exhaust. We also opted to remove the passenger footpegs. For those of you that wish to retain the passenger pegs, this attachment bracket allows normal operation thereof. Ultimately, we opted to use the Akrapovic carbon fiber exhaust hanger.

With the muffler in place, go through the whole exhaust, front to back, and make sure nothing is loose or ill-fitted. Do this by firmly pulling on different parts of the system, jiggling it &etc. It will also help settle the whole thing into place properly. Once you’re sure it fits right, torque all bolts to spec.

For those of you with a shorty system, there’s not need to fiddle with the passenger pegs.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts