BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just installed Akra full system on '21 RR and really enjoy the sound and the look.
Unfortunately the backfire pop is really too loud and i mostly ride in a city which might be the most population intensive in the world.
I like the attentions I got from the engine sound but the backfire pop might offend others.
Still running on stock ECU mapping but i'm wondering if any after market tune might reduce backfire?

P.S. I know the full system is meant for race purpose which means, by design, backfire is not issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Vendor
4,532 Posts
Hi,

Just installed Akra full system on '21 RR and really enjoy the sound and the look.
Unfortunately the backfire pop is really too loud and i mostly ride in a city which might be the most population intensive in the world.
I like the attentions I got from the engine sound but the backfire pop might offend others.
Still running on stock ECU mapping but i'm wondering if any after market tune might reduce backfire?

P.S. I know the full system is meant for race purpose which means, by design, backfire is not issue.

Thanks!

There is a setting in the TFT cluster for Acoustics feedback. This has been published by BMWAG in press releases in the past that surveys were done that by response customers wanted crack and pops on exhaust notes. If you watch WSBK especially this year the announcers are really being it up that the M1000 are spitting fire on corner entry and not to be alarmed, that is by design of the BMW teams.

Dont remove your CAT or it will be alot worse in noise and the crack and pop.

Here is the deal with the K67 S1000RR and K66 M1000RR today. The tune. The ECU. We bring our thoughts into today from the past. We live and we learn. So in the past, especially the GSXR days of 2006 to 2016, there was the issue of performance vs hardware / modifications made. The GSXR was by far the most widely modified and talked about product line. You change the exhaust on a GSXR and it caused all kinds of performance issues. Woolich Racing was just really coming around about that time. I should know, I had 9 Suzuki GSXR bikes and I helped Woolich with testing of the product line that was being developed. It was not even Richard that was developing the software, it was a guy in Russia named Pettic that was the software developer. Richard was doing the hardware. I was helping in testing, but so was several other people in the USA at that time. The GSXR was always out of balance with rich / lean . Put a full exhaust on a GSXR1000 and you gained 8-12HP but the response was bad for street riding. Some times so lean you can see the chalking in the muffler output. Some so rich flames and unburn fuel collected in the output.

Fast forward to 2015 for the BMW S1000RR. Better ECU electronics are finally here. OBDII fuel management. TriCore MPU with car like parameters. Car like I say because it was 1997 when OBDII really took off for the automotive industry in the USA domestics. I was working with HP Tuners in 2002 as a developer on the OBDII PCM of the LS1/LS6. So back to the S1000RR. The bosch TriCore ECU starting using target AFR's. Cars had already been doing this in 2005 with the C5 corvette. Still on 4 wire O2 sensors was the issue however on target AFR and dynamic cylinder tables. The AFR response was slow and we had Long Term Fuel Trim ( LTFT ) and Short Term Fuel Trim ( STFT ) readings with the BLM ( Block Learn Mode ) . This is how we tuned the engine based on KR ( Knock Retard ) . We hear the ping and denotation, and this is bad. Pistons dont live very long with ping and denotation.

BMW Motorrad spent millions of dollars refining the S1000RR on static maps. Those are todays RCK2/3 with HP power maps for the ECU 2015 to 2019 ( K46 ) .. Static maps will not pass EPA and Euro commission specifications so those 4 wire slow reading O2 sensors had to be used for fuel management on OEM production released products with the same slow responding to STFT and LTFT, but, it passed EPA and Euro. BMW Motorrad says you want full performance? Get RCK2/3 with the HP power race maps and oh by the way your Cruise control, heated grips are turned off and we void your warranty. Unless you got the long term warranty on your K46, it is now expired based on the 3 years of ownership. Bring the bike alive and get RCK2/3 with me and I dont turn off your heated grips and cruise control.

Now we are to the full exhaust vs tune ECU. Always yes for best performance. Will it cause the old days of GSXR issues in performance? No, not in the short term of things like up to even 6000 miles of street riding on the K46 2015-2019. This is the key point of knowing the hardware on the product line and what it does. The K67 is the most advanced motorcycle released in the S1000RR product line. There are ( 2 ) 5 wire O2 sensors also called Pump Cell O2 sensors AKA Wide Band Sensors. These are your Bank 1 and Bank 2 front O2 sensors. The rear O2 sensors on the K67 are 4 wire old version narrow band sensors. The front 5 Wire sensors will adjust for AFR target. BMW uses 13.2 as Target AFR. Beyond knowing this much and to continue the process of explanation would require too much to write and even worse, understand.

So yes, you can put a full exhaust on the K67 and the K66 product line without a tune ECU. But in overall performance it will never even 90% be perfect in running. Better than the GSXR days of 65% of running right however. Get the exhaust, get the tune and now the performance is there overall the RPM range and you can expect miles of smiles, and with my tune on my bike 202/204HP at the rear tire.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a setting in the TFT cluster for Acoustics feedback. This has been published by BMWAG in press releases in the past that surveys were done that by response customers wanted crack and pops on exhaust notes. If you watch WSBK especially this year the announcers are really being it up that the M1000 are spitting fire on corner entry and not to be alarmed, that is by design of the BMW teams.

Here is the deal with the K67 S1000RR and K66 M1000RR today. The tune. The ECU. We bring our thoughts into today from the past. We live and we learn. So in the past, especially the GSXR days of 2006 to 2016, there was the issue of performance vs hardware / modifications made. The GSXR was by far the most widely modified and talked about product line. You change the exhaust on a GSXR and it caused all kinds of performance issues. Woolich Racing was just really coming around about that time. I should know, I had 9 Suzuki GSXR bikes and I helped Woolich with testing of the product line that was being developed. It was not even Richard that was developing the software, it was a guy in Russia named Pettic that was the software developer. Richard was doing the hardware. I was helping in testing, but so was several other people in the USA at that time. The GSXR was always out of balance with rich / lean . Put a full exhaust on a GSXR1000 and you gained 8-12HP but the response was bad for street riding. Some times so lean you can see the chalking in the muffler output. Some so rich flames and unburn fuel collected in the output.

Fast forward to 2015 for the BMW S1000RR. Better ECU electronics are finally here. OBDII fuel management. TriCore MPU with car like parameters. Car like I say because it was 1997 when OBDII really took off for the automotive industry in the USA domestics. I was working with HP Tuners in 2002 as a developer on the OBDII PCM of the LS1/LS6. So back to the S1000RR. The bosch TriCore ECU starting using target AFR's. Cars had already been doing this in 2005 with the C5 corvette. Still on 4 wire O2 sensors was the issue however on target AFR and dynamic cylinder tables. The AFR response was slow and we had Long Term Fuel Trim ( LTFT ) and Short Term Fuel Trim ( STFT ) readings with the BLM ( Block Learn Mode ) . This is how we tuned the engine based on KR ( Knock Retard ) . We hear the ping and denotation, and this is bad. Pistons dont live very long with ping and denotation.

BMW Motorrad spent millions of dollars refining the S1000RR on static maps. Those are todays RCK2/3 with HP power maps for the ECU 2015 to 2019 ( K46 ) .. Static maps will not pass EPA and Euro commission specifications so those 4 wire slow reading O2 sensors had to be used for fuel management on OEM production released products with the same slow responding to STFT and LTFT, but, it passed EPA and Euro. BMW Motorrad says you want full performance? Get RCK2/3 with the HP power race maps and oh by the way your Cruise control, heated grips are turned off and we void your warranty. Unless you got the long term warranty on your K46, it is now expired based on the 3 years of ownership. Bring the bike alive and get RCK2/3 with me and I dont turn off your heated grips and cruise control.

Now we are to the full exhaust vs tune ECU. Always yes for best performance. Will it cause the old days of GSXR issues in performance? No, not in the short term of things like up to even 6000 miles of street riding on the K46 2015-2019. This is the key point of knowing the hardware on the product line and what it does. The K67 is the most advanced motorcycle released in the S1000RR product line. There are ( 2 ) 5 wire O2 sensors also called Pump Cell O2 sensors AKA Wide Band Sensors. These are your Bank 1 and Bank 2 front O2 sensors. The rear O2 sensors on the K67 are 4 wire old version narrow band sensors. The front 5 Wire sensors will adjust for AFR target. BMW uses 13.2 as Target AFR. Beyond knowing this much and to continue the process of explanation would require too much to write and even worse, understand.

So yes, you can put a full exhaust on the K67 and the K66 product line without a tune ECU. But in overall performance it will never even 90% be perfect in running. Better than the GSXR days of 65% of running right however. Get the exhaust, get the tune and now the performance is there overall the RPM range and you can expect miles of smiles, and with my tune on my bike 202/204HP at the rear tire.
You're a God for this post.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
One of the primary causes of off throttle back firing is unburned fuel AND available O2 in the exhaust system that allows ignition (backfire). The available O2 can be caused by an exhaust leak OR the emissions equipment, specifically a fresh air injection system to the exhaust to promote catalyst function or lower targeted emissions. I removed the air injection system (BMW calls it "secondary air system") I learned in the 80s (yeah I am that old) that if you don't block off the air injection plumbing (if equipped) when installing a performance exhaust you will be plagued with back firing and popping. Ride safe!

·
Registered
Working on that
58 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts