BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having a hard time installing my full akra exhaust for the 2020 s1krr. Especially removing the 8 bolts on the headers. How do loosen the radiator to make room. Do i unplug the hoses? Im assuming im going to have to fill up the radiator fluid if i do remove the hoses to make room. I removed the radiator bracket bolt in the center but not enough slack for the radiator to move forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
What year bike are you referencing? I have a 2016 and I didnt remove the radiator hoses for or any coolant for my install. I just removed the bottom clips/bolts and moved the radiator closer to the front wheel to allow space for the header bolts. This didnt give me the most space to work and it was a pain to torque down the flanges but it was worth not opening up the coolant system then having to deal with that.

·
Vendor
2,492 Posts
Having a hard time installing my full akra exhaust for the 2020 s1krr. Especially removing the 8 bolts on the headers. How do loosen the radiator to make room. Do i unplug the hoses? Im assuming im going to have to fill up the radiator fluid if i do remove the hoses to make room. I removed the radiator bracket bolt in the center but not enough slack for the radiator to move forward.
This is somewhat different from the K46.

Remove the upper 2 screws holding the radiator to the frame.

Remove the heat plastic shield going from the radiator to the valve cover. Once this is removed, you can lift the radiator and the oil cooler up and out some more. This will give you plenty of room to remove the nuts, and pull the springs.

I did 3 of these. Did not have to remove the hoses and drop the water. That plastic shield is the issue in working with the radiator when it is on there.

Those are 12 point 10mm socket nuts. not screws. Once you loosen them, you can spin them off with your fingers.

I cannot tell what you are pointing at in that picture. it is the size of a postage stamp. your finger looks longer than the header tube.

if it is that wire metal support rod that goes from the engine to the radiator and oil cooler, you have to remove it too. Squeeze it together a little to get it out of the radiator and the oil cooler holder.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did it without removing water. IT IS A BEAR but you haven't even got to the fun part yet. Loosen the 10mm Nut by a quarter turn or so and flick it off with your finger is the easiest way I have found to do it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I managed to remove the first 4 bolts starting from the right side without moving the radiator forward then gave up. I completely forgot about the 2 bolts holding the radiator because i have the M radiator cover on it which blocked the bolts so i didnt see it. I ended up putting everything back and went on the forum for help. Ill give it another crack tommo. Im glad i dont have to remove the hoses and drain rad fluids. Thanks everyone for the help.

Im surprised noone has done a real howto vid for the exhaust change. All ive seen are fastforward vids which doesnt help at all. Need details and closer look at what to do.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Remove the heat plastic shield going from the radiator to the valve cover. Once this is removed, you can lift the radiator and the oil cooler up and out some more. This will give you plenty of room to remove the nuts, and pull the springs.

I did 3 of these. Did not have to remove the hoses and drop the water. That plastic shield is the issue in working with the radiator when it is on there.

Those are 12 point 10mm socket nuts. not screws. Once you loosen them, you can spin them off with your fingers.

I cannot tell what you are pointing at in that picture. it is the size of a postage stamp. your finger looks longer than the header tube.

if it is that wire metal support rod that goes from the engine to the radiator and oil cooler, you have to remove it too. Squeeze it together a little to get it out of the radiator and the oil cooler holder.
Yes im pointing at the wire metal support rod. Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Is this the 2 bolts you speak of that needs to be removed?

And what plastic shield are you referring to that also needs to be removed?

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the stock exhaust and the servo off. Installed the servo buddy also. I have videos of the uninstall. I just dont know how to crop all the vids together.

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,492 Posts
Wow, wait until you start to put number 2 and 3 tubes on there. Then have to pull the springs inside there. You are in for some new experience.

Surely you found that large plastic shield across the top of the radiator that goes back toward the valve cover area. You really need to remove this so that the radiator will lift up and toward the front of the bike. you are going to need all the room you can get to pull the springs on number 2 and 3 because of the fan.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Speaker wire did the trick for me! I did not remove the top bracket since Akra directions did not tell me to lol. It was also 115 degrees in my garage so I was trying to get it done the most efficient way possible

·
Registered
66 Posts
do we have to install servo buddy with Ak full exhaust ? I mean will there be any sort of CEL on if we don’t install servo buddy ?

I got the stock exhaust and the servo off. Installed the servo buddy also. I have videos of the uninstall. I just dont know how to crop all the vids together.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts