BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed Down Under late 2017 and looking for some advice. One of the many things we plan to hit is the MotoGP race at Phillip Island. Wide open to suggestions for everything from accommodations, great eateries, do's and don'ts, anything else that pops into your head.

We've been to every Indianapolis MotoGP event so probably don't need much advice on the race format. But what would be hugely helpful are seating recommendations. We, like most, prefer to see as many curves as possible, ideally near the ones where either the most passing happens, or where racers will take big gambles under duress.

Almost certain to have a car since we'll have tons of luggage, so won't be riding around.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
6,630 Posts
I have done the 4 day job down there before. I did it once. I won't do it again. I live in Melbourne by the way.

Friday practice is fairly low key. Saturday Qualifying gets more people and Sunday is crazy with people. The issue I find with Phillip Island is that the track is world class, but the facilities at the track and surrounds are very low quality. There is 1 road in and 1 road out. So the traffic is absolutely crap. There are so many bikes and also heaps of police. The parking for cars and bikes is in grass paddocks. So when it rains. It turns into a mud hole and bikes get stuck and fall over in the mud. Its horrible. Getting out on the Sunday can take hours. Could take your 2-3 hours to get out of the car park. I booked an extra day and went home on the Monday. Even that was bad for traffic.

I stayed at silver water resort for super bikes which is off the island on the way in. Perched on a hill. It was nice. Had a pool and a restaurant. For GP me and my mates hired a house for the 4 days. Cowes is where all the partying is done. They shut down the main street at night and it goes off. Lot's of pubs and pizza shops. They have a band down by the water where the pubs are. Lots of bikes and police.

Spots to sit on the track. I'm not sure what tickets you are getting but it's hard to see all of the track due to its size. Turn 1 is a favourite for most as the speed and lean angle is good to watch and listen to the bikes at full throttle on the straight. Turn 2 has a grandstand and probbaly provides the most corners to look at. You get nearly half the track all be it from a far. Lukey heights is a good spot for crashes and also passing under brakes at MG at the bottom of the hill. Last lap stuff. Turn 12 is good if you wan't to watch a last second pass onto the main straight. Most spots are not covered. Some grandstands are, but not all. So you're in the elements.

So in summary. The track and racing is great. The facilities will lave you shaking your head. Parking, traffic, police and food are all below where they need to be. Don't want to put you off. But a lot of aussies don't go anymore. It's just crap. World super bikes is much better. Less people and you can ride your bike around the outside of the track to where you want to sit. At GP you can't ride around to other viewing areas. They have busses but are normally reserved for higher priced ticket holders. Lots of walking. Also the weather down there is tempremental. It could be freezing cold, rain and wind or hot and sunny. So make sure you pack beanies and jackets and then pack shorts, hat and sunscreen. Even when it's not hot, you're out in the sun all day and still get burnt.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hit Malaysia instead. Corporate costs the same as normal entry into phillip island and as benny mentioned above the facilities need work. I've got relitives who do it every year and swear by after doing Phillip island once.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warnings and advice, guys. I'm pretty sure we'd hang to Monday anyway since we're not in a hurry really. If we go with Phillip anyway I suspect the Turn 2 thing will be preferred. During Qual in Indy we always checked out all the corners from stands and through fences, assume we could do the same here.

Hit Malaysia instead. Corporate costs the same as normal entry into phillip island and as benny mentioned above the facilities need work. I've got relitives who do it every year and swear by after doing Phillip island once.
Would love to do this but it looks like it'll add $1k in cost to an already incredibly expensive trip. Will see if we could swing it, would be cool to check out esp given both your feedback.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insights on Phillip Island. With the time and $ restriction we ended up attending there. Compared to Indianapolis it was, on average, the same. The vendor area was better, the graffiti was cool and different, the food options were surprisingly good, we found several spots with good views, and our seats in Siberia stand were phenomenal (I'd recommend those as a great value) with view of way more turns than I'd guessed from the map. If you watched the race, you know the GP was exceptional; the best we'd ever seen live.

The negatives included much smaller motorcycle manufacturer presence, pretty poor beer options, no Red Bull/vodka option(!), many more pushy... mainlanders ;), parking/gate instructions that were mediocre at best, and (as you'd already warned) a ridiculously slow exodus on Sunday (only). On the upside of that last one though, you Australians are pretty fair and courteous drivers as compared to my fellow 'mericans. Strangely the staff were hit and miss in terms of friendliness. Some were like talking to a New Yorker (city), others were like talking to my mom.

In the future we'd make more dinner reservations at the better places, didn't realize how tough it was to get into some places. Also we'd bring even more layers than the four I already had on (and stripped off and put on and stripped off and...).

Anyway, had a great time and strongly appreciate everyone's input. Next time we're down (haven't hit NZ yet) I'll see about renting a bike and hitting a track or two.

·
Registered
736 Posts
When i last went down in 2016 they opened up multiple lanes and allowed lane sharing exiting the venue, its was MUCH better than previous years. If you’re on a bike you’ll get out fairly quickly on the sunday. Cars not so much.

Were you in a car on the way out?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, we had a car and yeah, they had both sides of the road in operation. My perspective on it being terrible is probably unfair. Indianapolis is a city with a long history of major motorsports (F1, Nascar, IndyCar...) events so they have this whole mass exodus thing down exceptionally well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought tickets for the stand on Gardener Straight right in front was the start line.. Food right behind seats and a very cool merchandise area not too far away. There was a bike gear display and bike show in the hall right behind seats also. You can walk right around the track and there are NO high fences at all. We did a Air b&b in a house on Cowes. It worked out cheap enough for the 6 of us And was 5 minutes drive from the track. And a Bus left from the end of the road every hour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts