BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Action camera mounting?

7K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  Fbto 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I bought the new tail section from BMW, but by the time I got to Malibu, I lost the camera (I didn't secure it as it was too close to the back wheel).

How do you secure the camera if you're placing it on the back of the bike?

Thanks

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

See less See more
#2 ·
When you say you lost it, did the screw come undone? They need to be done up using a spanner to get them F-tight. Also, is that fitting rated for a stick mounts or only for direct fittings? The forces on the rear from a heavy weight on a stick mount are way higher than a direct fit.

FWIW In my track bike using a Insta360 One R I used this mount and added extra bolts. But I had to do that clamp up with a spanner.
Sleeve Fashion design Personal protective equipment Eyewear Electric blue

#5 ·
When you say you lost it, did the screw come undone? They need to be done up using a spanner to get them F-tight. Also, is that fitting rated for a stick mounts or only for direct fittings? The forces on the rear from a heavy weight on a stick mount are way higher than a direct fit.

FWIW In my track bike using a Insta360 One R I used this mount and added extra bolts. But I had to do that clamp up with a spanner.
View attachment 225937
The plastic bracket broke.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

#3 · (Edited)
Mounting as you have it is asking a lot from the plastic in that GoPro style mount.

This seems like a common way to mount the Insta360, using the RAM claw mount + Invisible Selfie Stick and then securing the selfie stick to a second place on the frame. It looks like he is using the Extended Edition Selfie Stick.

Insta360 even offers a couple of packaged solutions.

#4 ·
Mounting as you have it is asking a lot from the plastic in that GoPro style mount.

This seems like a common way to mount the Insta360, using the RAM claw mount + Invisible Selfie Stick (I think the 114cm version) and then securing the selfie stick to a second place on the frame.

Insta360 even offers a couple of packaged solutions.

Thank you so much!!!

#11 · (Edited)
I know this opinion might ruffle feathers. I just can't hold back saying that I can't articulate how much it uglies up the bike to have something like that garbage sticking out/off of it. And God forbid it flies off and hits or crashes out a fellow rider.... Again MY opinion, doesn't mean I'm right.

#24 ·
I always use some actual safety wire to tether all my cameras to the bikes. Make them only as long as they need to be, such that if the camera came off, it's not crashing into anything.

Sorry you lost your camera.
On the race track, we usually have a data file, or the actual contact info put on the cameras on the chance they end up in the field. Folks out here are a bit more honest though when they're found, relative to the public streets. :LOL:

#25 ·
Currently running a Insta360 OneX2. Right now the solution I have is a clamp onto the rear frame with zip ties to hold the selfie stick against the bike. Its not the prettiest solution, but has worked for me thus far. Was going back and forth between the Evotech that attaches to the pillion peg bolt holes, and the BMW mount without the selfie stick(though admittedly the camera would then be rear facing one way or the other 😂)

Might get interesting with the bolts as the two button heads provided by ET are only 16mm and with my TST low plate mount already there, may not be enough thread to secure it through both mounts. Worst case scenario, will reuse the stock bolts.

#28 ·
For myself I wanted to ensure the camera is secure. I utilized the passenger foot peg mounts and used 2 block off plates, with spacers, then drilled a hole for the Ram mount ball, where I can attach my GoPro. It’s rock solid.
Nice! I’m sure that is quite solid. Might have to look into that, though I don’t know if I could make it work with my plate mounted down there as well. Ohh well, something to think about.
My current setup:

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Carbon Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Tints and shades Luggage and bags Bicycle tire Bag

Again, not the most elegant, but gets the job done and still allows for some cool angles.

Sky Road surface Asphalt Landscape Tints and shades

Sky Asphalt Road surface Sports equipment Slope

#29 ·
An update to my post above. I wouldn’t recommend using a selfie stick with a 360 camera as I had in the pictures above. Was riding this weekend and when I did a pull through 4th gear the forces acting on the camera at the end of the stick snapped the 3 zip ties I had securing the middle of the stick to the frame. Luckily the mount didn’t come off, just pushed the camera/stick down. I retracted the stick until I could get to a place to pull over, but when I reviewed the footage later I really liked the rearward shot I got as a result.

Sky Vehicle Hood Car Infrastructure

I ended up buying the Evotech passenger peg mount which produces the same result. Much more secure and the quality is as I’ve come to expect from ET. Just got to find the right solution for the forward shots now…

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

#32 ·
An update to my post above. I wouldn’t recommend using a selfie stick with a 360 camera as I had in the pictures above. Was riding this weekend and when I did a pull through 4th gear the forces acting on the camera at the end of the stick snapped the 3 zip ties I had securing the middle of the stick to the frame. Luckily the mount didn’t come off, just pushed the camera/stick down. I retracted the stick until I could get to a place to pull over, but when I reviewed the footage later I really liked the rearward shot I got as a result.

I ended up buying the Evotech passenger peg mount which produces the same result. Much more secure and the quality is as I’ve come to expect from ET. Just got to find the right solution for the forward shots now…

How is that rear mount? Do you have sample video? Is it worth the price? And no issues with hitting the rear wheel?

Was thinking of getting one. Or drill into the undertail and setup a camera rear facing there when at the track.

#33 ·
I tried getting a few different angles to show what’s possible. Forgive me, I’ve never uploaded to YT and I might’ve done something wrong as it looks like it got compressed or something in the upload and lowered the quality. Anyways hopefully this at least you an idea. And no, never comes close to the tire, the way the mount sits the camera is offset to the side of the tire, so even at full compression there’s no chance of it making contact.

#34 ·
I tried getting a few different angles to show what’s possible. Forgive me, I’ve never uploaded to YT and I might’ve done something wrong as it looks like it got compressed or something in the upload and lowered the quality. Anyways hopefully this at least you an idea. And no, never comes close to the tire, the way the mount sits the camera is offset to the side of the tire, so even at full compression there’s no chance of it making contact.

Nice. I decided to go with this option as I only need it for track use

Reactions: I am the Wallrus
#35 ·
Nice. I looked at that one but As I do most of my riding on the street, I was concerned about the lenses being directly in the line of fire of the rear wheel flinging rocks from our beautifully maintained roads we have down here :rolleyes:. Probably not as big a deal on the track though, hopefully it works out for ya!

#38 ·
I just can't hold back saying that I can't articulate how much it uglies up the bike to have something like that garbage sticking out/off of it.
which part is ugly? Function over form