BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me, but I find it funny that the bike at the top of the page is Acid green. Most people either really like it or just don't at all. I feel like any other color S1000RR would have been a better choice. I guess I am just finally tipsy enough to have the motivation to comment on such a pointless thing in the first place as it really has no actual impact on the functions of the forum.

So thanks regardless! :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I like the Acid green. Unique color and it represents the first model (unless someone knows better, then i dont want to hear it lol)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That can be read two different ways I guess, I was trying to say, back in 2009/2010 I had no idea there was such a thing as the S1000RR.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I don't call mine "Phlegm" for nothing you silly Oregonian. :D

I first saw the prototype bikes at the WSBK races at Miller Park in May 27 - May 31, 2009. It was the National Debut of the bike, never seen here before. Troy Corser and Ruben Xaus were riding the first ones, and BMW was playing it up big time. My local dealer (Ride West) had a contest and the 10 who wrote the best e-mails why they should win free tickets to go to the races and see the National Debut, got them - plus free demo bikes to ride to Salt Lake for the week.

BMW had three prototypes there and everybody was all over them. I ordered mine the week we got back and got it February, 2010. It was worth the wait, and I chose the bad ass Acid Green one. Still love it, and it's a color that was special to the first year commercial bikes. Hope it never is reproduced again.

One of the best weeks of my life and made a life long friend - Swanny, who also bought "Kermit" after his wife gave him his head back.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha makes sense! That's a pretty cool pre purchase story. I'm sure someday I will see an acid green in person.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Acid green is the ugliest color in history and it helps to catapult the S1k one of the ugliest bikes ever.

That's part of what makes it so damn good.

Love that color.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ordered my bike in the summer of 2010 when I was in Germany. Since I
wanted the bike in Acid Green when the dealer called in the order they told
him that they no longer were painting the US spec bikes in that color as they
were gearing up production for the 2011 bikes and told him that the new
alternative color was "hideous yellow". :eek:
So I asked the dealer to call the factory to see if they could special
order one in Acid Green and they replied in the affirmative.
End result was that I got my US spec bike in Acid Green, probably the last US
spec Acid Green produced.
Did I mention that I love the color? :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anybody know if the acid green was a limited addition colour and if so how many were produced ??

Thanks SharkyD

·
Vendor
2,722 Posts
Does anybody know if the acid green was a limited addition colour and if so how many were produced ??

Thanks SharkyD
I have never seen a numbers release of production models nor color break down. We are lucky that 2 BMW officials were talking about the HP4 models and saying that 'nearly" 7500 were made of those models, but I saw high number 6XXX on ebay for sale a several years ago. I wish I had known that it was so unknown to the number of HP4 bike I would have copied the pics from the posting.

Here is a great write up on the 2010 remembering back 10 years ago with the awaiting release of the BMW S1000RR.

2018 article on the single R series out selling the RR series

2015 article on numbers looks nice

appears to be Acid Green thread

recent article about Covid 19 sales at Motorrad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts