BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I'm waiting on the 2017 model, I've been researching handlebars. I'm 48, 5'11 220 lbs. I've had multiple back surgeries, so I need a bit of a "lift" to keep me comfortable. The way to 2016 sits, its just a bit too far over. My pain is in my thoracic region (between shoulder blades)Thoughts? The Schnitzers are crazy expensive vs. the Helibars.

·
Registered
535 Posts
F700GS.
or
lower rear sets, a flatter seat like Sargent seats. heli's are flatter not so much higher, but help a little.

I have a broken back as well, gotta exercise more to help it man.

The best to you brother.

Hope you find a solution.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
LSL bars, hockey puck

These bars are great re height, setback and bar connection. Raise the front of your seat by placing a 3/4" riser under the front rubber mounts (a hint from Marcel Irnie racing). :smile2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not a chance on the R version.... Reliving my youth, and I'm going with the RR. Below is a link to the AC's. Going to ride it for a while then try and figure out what will work best.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Makes no sense. Why would you put those bars on an RR but say no way on an R? When you butcher the bike with those bars you've already moved away from an RR and stepped into the realm of a naked. Just buy the R or a Tuono.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Check out the R version S1000. It could be a much better fit for you.
Assuming street riding is your primary goal, I agree, the R is the right bike here. Like you, I had a fascination with the RR and bought one, but I quickly realized that the R was really a lot more comfortable; I think longer-term, you'd be a lot happier with the R. I expect you will still feel you want the RR, so be it. Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the feel of the rr much better. I only need about an inch or two to get it exactly the way I like it. I'm not interested in the r for the plans I have. Plus, I'll be tracking it as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like the feel of the rr much better. I only need about an inch or two to get it exactly the way I like it. I'm not interested in the r for the plans I have. Plus, I'll be tracking it as well.
Let us know how it feels compared to the stock ones. I have a 2012 and still not feeling comfortable riding her fast, i'm much faster and fell much more confidence on my superduke 990. Thinking to buy the helibars, do they worth the 400 euros? Will i ruin the bike?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You will NOT ruin your RR with Heli Bars. Track Day magazine did an article on them some time ago and gave them high marks. I've had them on my '17 RR since day 1 and I can tell you that not only do they make the bike more comfortable, they increase turning leverage and do not change the appearance of the bike in any significant way...most people don't even know they're not stock bars.

The biggest benefit? I was in severe pain from an L5 disk problem a few years ago, and could not walk even 100 yards without stopping. After installing Heli bars on my RR, I was able to virtually eliminate my L5 issue (which I believe was caused by the stock bar position...I'm 72, by the way). I can now hike, golf and ride 300 miles in a day on my RR without issue. Is there a connection to the Heli bars in all this? I'd have to say "yes".

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
LSL BARS for 2012 and HELIBARS FOR my 2016. The LSL were a little more comfortable. They needed some shock tube above the bars to hold onto which was provided for the LSL bars. The 2016 position did not have shock above bars so I went with the HELIBARS. Either will work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
LSL BARS for 2012 and HELIBARS FOR my 2016. The LSL were a little more comfortable. They needed some shock tube above the bars to hold onto which was provided for the LSL bars. The 2016 position did not have shock above bars so I went with the HELIBARS. Either will work.
I have read that helibars are higher 42 mm and come closer to the rider 20 mm which might not be comfortable where as lsl twin match clip ons come closer 15mm but are higher 70mm. Which one is better? And do i need to do any mods to fit the lsl or is just plug and play. Mine is a 2012 what do u recommend between the 2?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated and awaiting your comments before i make the purchase

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any comments regarding the fact that LSL's come closer to the rider 15mm and helibars 20mm? LSL were more comfortable because they are placed higher or because helibars come closer as mentioned above and might be uncomfortable. I saw a comment saying that the helibars feel like a wheelbarrow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts