BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank yo
It is of course possible all the non communication faults from the DME were at a prior mileage when it was at the dealer for an update. When the bike is updated it does turn things on and off and at the end of the measures plan one of the tasks is to clear any faults. So its possible they were left over and not current faults as the mileage would indicate. But the fault after all of that seems to relate to crashing the bike. So if that's the case then we would have no faults as a result of what ever happened. I can only comment based on the evidence I am given.
Thank you for sharing, I have no idea what happens when they take the bike back to work on it at the dealership. It’s nice your so willing to share your knowledge.

The bike has been different since the update on the 3rd of November. In fact, I actually have kept the bike in Road mode just because. That was why my first jump to conclusion was that there was a software issue. Even my cousin who works for BMW came to the same conclusion. There was a plan to take the bike back to the dealer made several weeks ago because of the major changes that where felt after the update. There was an update for the bike recently released, it was thought it would address the problem.

ABS & traction control have been so much less invasive after this update I was feeling as if the bike was in the old slick mode at times. Yet I was on the street and never had a chance to use it in a controlled environment.

The safety systems they have built into modern motorcycles are so good I was puzzled to see the warning when I did and was moving to pull the bike over after I had completed the turn I was already committed to. It never entered my mind that I would have a slip and fall at such a low speed being so careful. This bike has been turned on a dime at such low speeds before I felt it was impossible to toss it onto the ground unless a major mistake happened.

Do you know if traction control looses any input from a sensor or anything else will the system just not work or stop functioning? I had thought of something was to fail it would go into a safety mode of some sort. My older BMW had a wiring issue, ABS & Traction control failed gave me a bunch of solid lights on the dash and affectively those systems were completely turned off at that point. I know the newer systems have evolved a lot. But maybe I hit the limit of what the system could do in this event. Just don’t know.

Hitting oil on the track at full lean and still recovering from a fishtail and not getting into a slide or crash maybe has given me an over confidence in the traction control system BMW provides. The other two riders behind hind me involved in this particular event did crash and completely lost control. When I was asked how I had recovered and was able to keep control I blamed BMW systems because I felt I did very little and the bike had done everything.

It was obvious when the tire lost traction in this turn when the rpm’s shot up. That has never happened before even if the bike was airborne and both tires are off the ground. I had thought the bike would not allow the rear tire to reach a higher revolution than the front wheel to limit rear wheel spin. Is my knowledge correct on how that works? Understanding the newer bikes also take in consideration lean angle and acceleration/deceleration and I assume those calculations are all sensor inputs and software calculations to keep the bike within certain control limits.

I have had this bike leaned over cornering, applying throttle and the rear end applying the absolutely perfect amount of rear end slip at an aggressive lean angle. Right at the limit of what the tire and track could handle. Been so impressed with the systems up until this event. But it maybe something that just can’t be figured out without the correct knowledge.

Retuned to where the event happened twice, inspected the road looked at the corner, the changing elevations in that corner. And I admit I have never taken that corner before on a motorcycle. But from a full stop, slowly rolling on the throttle and committing to the corner was not very different than any time that I have done this a million times before. Probably just goes in the **** happens bucket. Luckily in all my years of riding this is a first. Back years ago I would just think user error, poor judgment. It’s easier to just blame myself, but I want to learn form the event.

Thank you Benny for the knowledge and putting up with my ignorance. The new technology is something I have not spent very much time learning about. The bikes manual is so general and just does not substitute actual experience you and so many others have. Having to lean onto others expertise and knowledge to figure something out it’s very humbling and not always easy to be forthcoming with all the information that is needed to figure something out when I myself have very limited knowledge of the bikes hardware & software. Trying to jump to conclusions is just the only way I sometimes can figure something out and work backwards on more information and facts to get to the absolutely correct conclusion. Thanks for being patient.

With over 100k miles of experience on the s1000rr and all the events during that time. I had thought it was impossible for a crash to just happen without user error or some other outstanding factor. maybe I’ve become complacent. That’s dangerous as well.

Very humbling, gravity works. Still learning how to fly.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ah I see...I didn't know you could do that (putting "M" components on an "S") but then again, I own a K46 and not a K67 🤷🏽‍♂️ lol. I guess they're making M parts interchangeable with S parts?? Nice if that's the case for 2022.

·
Registered
536 Posts
From what I've read here, it could very well be an issue that was possibly created when they updated some of the components on the bike or as you have stated a software issue. I hope this gets resolved quickly, it's unfortunate but at the end of the day you're okay and walked away from it thankfully.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,480 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me a few weeks back on a ride. The road was damp and I hit a bit of wet bark. The back wheel stepped out and lost traction. I thought I was going to high side. The bike came back though and corrected itself with the TC. The wheel was spinning very fast and with my hand still on the throttle once the wheel got off the bark and onto the road it gripped and spat me forward very fast towards a corner. Luckily I pulled it up on the brakes and made the corner. This was all due to a cold, damp road, me asking a bit much throttle and hitting the wet bark which caused the slide.

·
Registered
2017 rr
311 Posts
That's the problem with the best corners, they're usually in forests. The section of the Oxley highway down to the coast is a dream, and always littered with soggy fallen leaves. It's ok late in the morning after the cars sweep it clean. That's the only time I don't mind cars on MY roads.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
As a sidenote, all the electronics in the world won't save you from losing the front tyre in a corner. I was reminded of this one fateful day on a greasy potholed road. Pride and bike got hurt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Whatever happened to those threads where we discussed fitting braided lines and jetting our carbs? Sometimes I feel like I'm in a NASA assembly plant when I read these posts :unsure: I'm getting old...
Now I completely relate. The technology moves so quickly. My life is not involved in Motorsport as a career, it’s been one of many life long hobbies. Now if you need a power plant for an Industrial facility small town or large city. I’m your guy and I can design and build it. Mechanical, electrical I can figure it out with some time and education.

Looking back 20 years, motorcycles today are amazing!! My personal feeling is they have never been safer and so easy to ride.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As a sidenote, all the electronics in the world won't save you from losing the front tyre in a corner. I was reminded of this one fateful day on a greasy potholed road. Pride and bike got hurt.
You are very correct, my last slip and fall was a Ducati that lost the front end wile traversing a complex set of corners. After the last blind corner there was a hidden stop sign and a set of traffic lights. That was surprising. Front tire was also at the end of its lifespan. Totally user error on my end. Was young and dumb.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
From what I've read here, it could very well be an issue that was possibly created when they updated some of the components on the bike or as you have stated a software issue. I hope this gets resolved quickly, it's unfortunate but at the end of the day you're okay and walked away from it thankfully.
My cousin works at BMW at a very high level. He has assured me that the components in many cases are cross compatible. BMW goes to great lengths to test and make sure that there is little to no risk of a dangerous circumstance happening with any of their software and parts that are released.

The issue with my bike not coming from the factory with the M parts already installed was the case of their suppliers not having the parts available yet and deliveries have not been made to the factory of the parts that where to be applied to the 2022 s1k. The factory can not ship a bike that is not complete. DOT will not allow the import of a incomplete bike that is what the dealer told me.

With all of the delays from supplier, supply chain and the slow down of worldwide imports into the United States, this was something that I understood and I was in no hurry to expect the motorcycle when it arrived. BMW spent at there cost to fly the motorcycle from Germany to the United States to get the bike to me. It was a total surprise and completely unexpected. Had thought September October would be my delivery date this year. I don’t know anyone who has placed an order and have a bike delivered in 3 months. No manufacturer has ever gone so far above and beyond for me as just a customer. I know your thinking I had my Cousin do some shady things or something that would be unethical, but that’s not the case.

I asked about getting a 2022 M1000RR, the waiting list is long. Others have been waiting longer than a year. Maybe if I had ordered it when the s1000rr was ordered I would get it sometime late 2022 or Q1 2023. If I would get it at all. So a 2021 S1000RR was the best option.

The request that was made where basically everything that BMW was doing to the S1000RR in 2022. However I still wanted the Carbon Wheels, was informed that would no longer be an M item that comes on the bike. Did not want to take the risk that the wheels would be unattainable. Was further told by the dealer that they could handle everything and the bike would arrive as it was shown on there online bike ordering viewer. At that time it had the M1K calipers online. When the bike arrived that was not the case. The local dealer became koi, tried to play games. Literally told me the calibers that came on the bike they could just paint them blue thinking that was going to make me happy. The dealer sales manager continued to double down saying the M1K calipers are just blue and nothing special about them. We all know that’s not the case. Round and round we had gone. The dealer would not even do anything to assist. They wanted the sale and wanted nothing else to do with it. There where other problems, all warranty items. But the dealer wanted me to pay for things that another dealer had no issue addressing.

So at the end of all this, I finally get exactly what was ordered, purchased and paid for. It did not even bother me I had to pay extra for the parts. BMW did a lot to make things happen to get it complete. Took several months. But this hiccup with the ABS & TC is puzzling and unexpected.

The bike will get dropped off tomorrow, BMW can
investigate and make sure of everything. Hopefully get me put back together, back to enjoying the motorcycle again soon. My hope is that I do not get stuck with more bills going into the bike for the needed repairs, that’s if it’s not my fault. Already have all my gear, luckily Dainese is sending me everything I need quickly. Still cheaper than what medical bills would be with a crash without it.

That is the story.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ah I see...I didn't know you could do that (putting "M" components on an "S") but then again, I own a K46 and not a K67 🤷🏽‍♂️ lol. I guess they're making M parts interchangeable with S parts?? Nice if that's the case for 2022.
My K46 was solid, best bike I have ever owned in my lifetime. Hands down better than many of my brothers professional race bikes.

The cousin tells me about the R&D that is going on in the Evolution of the M1000RR and what is to come. Naturally to control cost and to get better price points from vendors there will be a trickle down of parts and technology to the S1K. That will give the vendors more sales exposure to a bigger market and selling parts to their number one selling race bike.
The privateer racing market for the M1K & the S1K is growing. Naturally BMW would like to be at the top. They don’t have far to go.
Race bike sales and many manufacturers have pulled back. I think Ducati/Audi is at the top world wide. Definitely in the USA market. But I could be completely wrong in my interpretation of conversations with my cousin on who has the biggest Race Bike market share.

Personally I would think Yamaha Suzuki and Kawasaki owns most of the world wide market. Maybe someone online can inform us properly of this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
That's the problem with the best corners, they're usually in forests. The section of the Oxley highway down to the coast is a dream, and always littered with soggy fallen leaves. It's ok late in the morning after the cars sweep it clean. That's the only time I don't mind cars on MY roads.
Are they? I always thought the corners where in the mountains, somewhere hiding. 😂

Definitely have never hit any wet leaves. Riders and trees usually never mix well and the tree always wins in the event of a crash. Have seen a really bad event of motorcyclist running wide and into the forest when I was 17. This rider, he said before the ride he had ridden dirt bikes his whole life and a race bike was nothing to handle. Supposedly he was a pro dirtbike rider. At the time of the crash all I remember was my brother telling me to get out of here because I did not have a motorcycle license at that age. If our parents would have found out I was out on one of his bikes with him it would have been very bad for us. Think my brother got a ticket because we had been seen and reported to the police that day.
I did not get back on a motorcycle again till I was 21. Finally could buy my own motorcycle. That was so long ago.

·
Registered
2017 rr
311 Posts
Are they? I always thought the corners where in the mountains, somewhere hiding. 😂

Definitely have never hit any wet leaves.
Well I guess it's an Ozzy thing, we didn't cut all our forests down here and most of our best roads wind up through the mountains, which are covered in forests.

The Oxley on a Good day

Plant Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Road surface

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well I guess it's an Ozzy thing, we didn't cut all our forests down here and most of our best roads wind up through the mountains, which are covered in forests.

The Oxley on a Good day

View attachment 219645

View attachment 219647
Absolutely beautiful! Don’t think I was in that particular spot.
I built several power plants out your way for the utility and the government. when m my work permit was done I had tried to stay for a vacation. Nope go home is what the officials demanded.
In my spare time I would hike, do a bunch of off road driving in the coolest thing ever. Not sure what it was but the Diesel engine was huge!! Let’s not forget I would surf and ride a motorcycle. Purchased the bike cash no questions asked. Got in a wee bit of trouble on that two wheels of rocket. It’s a really big deal when foreigners come and not get all the proper licenses, so I found out. Funny another engineer got kicked out of the country for far far less. People told me I should have just ran form the officers. But I did not want to take the chance the police would crash or some horrible international event happen. Try to be responsible and respectful anyplace I’ve traveled.

wonder if I’ll ever travel back that way again.. world has just changed so much and much of it has been damaged from negative outside culture & influences. Just always been a habit to leave everything at the boarder and drown myself in local culture and food.

How’s things out your way? We don’t get any real world news state side.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts